Scarid fly, bugs and Organic mediums

(newbie question) shy.gif

from what I've read .. most/many pests come from using organic mediums or at least they like it a lot ... as opposed to non organic mediums which they dont like and there's plenty of options.... so,

why doesnt everyone grow in non organic mediums and avoid a lot of the pest probs ?

does the finsished bud tate/smell/smoke/stone better?

why doesnt everyone grow in non organic mediums and avoid a lot of the pest probs ?

You can get infestations of Hydro mediums too. Insects aren't specific to organics, however they tend to like Organic conditions alot more.

"Prevention is better than the cure" - Advice from Tom. The theory is you prevent insects getting a hold in your mediums rather than trying to cure them after the fact.

does the finsished bud tate/smell/smoke/stone better?

That's subjective, comes down to the invididual toker - but I think most would say yes.

Personally I think even with the increased risk of insects, that organics is worth the effort.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks Eikel

I was discussing my lack of bugs with my hydro shop guy and he thinks its got heaps to do with regular flushing I do + more important (he reckons) is that I intake my air for the growroom from deep within the house .... if there is only one air source and its screened with tight micron mesh, then infestations should only be able to get in there on hands, shoes, hair clothes etc.. whattaya reckon? Is there any other way of a pest getting into a grow room?

if there is only one air source and its screened with tight micron mesh, then infestations should only be able to get in there on hands, shoes, hair clothes etc.. whattaya reckon? Is there any other way of  a pest getting into a grow room?

If the room is completely sealed, then yeah, only way you can introduce bugs is when you open the door to go in yourself.

I've got stockings across all my intakes, and a carbon-filter attached to my extraction fan. I STILL get insects in my grow-room, but there's probably 1mm-2mm "cracks" in the seams of the room for the insects to get in. Fortunately I use DM guardian regularly and have sticky-fly traps up in my GR, this tends to minimize any chance of them taking hold and infesting the root-ball.

Long or short of it, the battle against pests is more about vigalance and prevention more than anything else... Insects love warm damp enviroments, and grow-rooms are the perfect conditions for them.

thx mate

i think maybe the temps and RH in my room may help too ....it runs at around 20c now outside the chamber and not much higher inside the chamber ... maybe 21c and RH is 60% in the room and about 70% in the chamber :scratchin - like the stocking idea :P

maybe you could just Gaf along the seam ... I've done that along one wall where the wall doesn't quite meet the floor (hehe there's a bigger problem brewing there than access for bugs)