Harvesting individual branches?

I've been told that harvest time is 6-8weeks after flowering. But my question is as all the buds on a plant don't all grow and mature at identical rates -- because of closeness to light, position on plant etc, if the whole plant is harvested at say 7 weeks, won't some buds be past their peak while others may be under their peak?

I've noticed that on the same plant I have buds with stigma that are all white on some branches whereas on other branches they are almost all amber, still others are 50/50 -- in other words all in varying stages of growth and maturity.

Should a branch or section of branch be cut for curing as soon as that area of buds have amber stigma -- because if I wait for all the stigma or trichomes to be amber, won't the earliest/oldest ones be past their peak/used-by date?

:scratchin

Harvesting the buds as they become ready is a good thing because it lets more light into the slower maturing buds that are being starved of light.

It will also give a better yeild when the slower buds keep packing on weight.

If your growing for personal use like the rest of us :whistling there should be no reason to harvest immature buds anyway.....take your time and do it right and you'll get a better smoke. :P

Ok, thanks. It makes sense to harvest as soon as they look right rather than waiting until 8 weeks is up. It's not that I'm impatient to try it out - just thought as some bud sections look ready, whereas others don't -- why not harvest those buds instead of waiting the full flowering term? They've been flowering 4 weeks and about 20% buds look ready to harvest.

So your'e saying it will actually improve or quicken the smaller immature buds by allowing in more light -- and shouldn't effect potency or adversely effect the rest of the plant? Just making sure before I get out the snippers!

I'll third that good advice. Keep good scissors handy for cleaner cuts. Cut as far down the stem as the bud you are cutting allows.

Drying wee amounts it's easy to dry too fast. a string in a dark cupboard with clothes pegs is a nice option. A mesh screen in the same cupboard is also nice.

I had one plant finishing on the bottom first....

Strange f**ker I think I must've had a light leak... ;)