Frozen Pollen pods.

Guest Eikel

Hi Guys,

Back during the harvest of my NL plant which had hermied, I collected quite a few of those "male flowers" from the buds and stuck them into a sealable back and into the freezer.

I'm currently defrosting them and I'm wondering what the best method of getting to/using the pollen would be?

Last time I pollinated it was easy, I had a heap of the "powder" itself, and just collected it on my finger-tip and brushed it against the calyx's. With the pods, can I just thaw them and rub them with tweesers (opened I mean) against the buds?

Anyone tried something like this before?

Thanks for any feedback.

I've only used the pollen in powdered form, but i suspect it may not be viable until the bags actually open and the pollen is shed from the anthers.

So you may try some with the tweezers and leave a couple of bags intact with the hope they may open and shed some pollen.

Let us know how you get on :D

Well, it has been done.

The pods dried/thawed nicely and were almost crisp when I used them.

I simply "pinched" a few of the pods together, rubbed them together in my fingers, and "smeared" the resulting flower/pollen mess onto the pistils/calyxs of the buds.

I did this with 5 of the tips of the top-colas on the AK47, cross your fingers for me, hopefully I'm gonna end up with some feminized AK47xNL seeds :D

Although you will have feminised seeds from your hermi male you have to realize that you are passing down the hermi genes to you batch of seeds.

Your polluting the gene pool with hermi crap.

None of the TOP breeders would ever do that. You will notice the best breeders don’t sell feminised seeds. Only the small timers out to make a quick buck.

For your purpose I suppose its fine. Good luck. Hope the pollen was still good.

:smoke

Your polluting the gene pool with hermi crap.

yes but only to a small degree.....if he were to use that line of seeds and hermi them up again to get feminized seeds, thats when you'd be looking at a garden of hermies :thumbdown

breeding is a very tricky process and while any noobie can grow seeded buds, only a decent gardener can grow quality seeds, eikel IMO will produce some amazing seeds and anyone lucky enough to get their hands on some should grow some amazing buds :D

Guys, calm down it's ok.

I'm not breeding a REAL strain, just a series of feminized F1's.

Even if only 4/10 plants remain REAL females with no hermie traits, that's still gauranteed female plants with NO useless (i.e. male) plants if all you are looking for is buds.

Now I would not reccommend anyone BREED with these seeds, but if you want some female plants to grow buds from that's their purpose.

I have bred with a male and female before, have 8 seeds to test out, but if I wanted to create a new stable strain there is no way I would use hermi pollen :D

Just to clear that all up.

We are calm. I hope it didn’t seem like and argument or anything. Just putting our thoughts out there.

:D anyway...

Mate I dunno if your pollen will be any good anyway. Some say its good for only a few days, others say they have stored it for months. I dunno of anyone that has kept unopened pollen pods and then used them to seed. Well we will see in a couple of days anyway as the pollinated hairs will turn redish.

Lets hope you get some beans anyway.

Keep us posted

:smoke

Here here, I second that motion jjfto

Iam very keen to know if the embryo actually develops into a viable seed, so don't leave us hanging Eikel. :D

I find breeding and the reproductive act positively fascinating, it's probably my favourite aspect of the marijuana life cycle.... 'cept smoking of course ::D: