Whats Flushing ?

[ - ? - ]

When i grow in soiless mediums eg. perlite, vermiculite i feed my plants on a nutrient solution dailyand every 7 days i just water them with ph adjusted water(no nutrients) this "flushes" out any build-up of nutrient salts in the medium.

Failure to do so can result in nutrient "burn" to the plants :P

Also one week before i harvest i only water my plants on ph adjusted water to remove any nutrient salts and give me a better, smoother smoke :P

This is what" flushing" is all about. :(

BTW welcome to OzStoners :stupid:

Edited by Frazzle

Yup, flushing is just using straight water to help flush out any nutrient salts that might have built up. Most growers flush with PH adjusted water for 1-2 weeks before harvest time, to flush out the excess nutrient so you don't get that yukky chemical tang in your buds......some people get headaches too, I always flush at the end of my grow :D

Hi Q

I am growing in nets filled with clayballs hanging in a tub with Aero sprayers inside ... the roots hang below the nets and accumulate at the bottom of the tub - I need to "flush" the rootzone and the spray heads once a week (or 2) with fresh water - its too hard for me to Ph adjust it so I just plug a hose into the tub and let it flow for 1/2 and hour or so - this flushes away accumulated salts and crap from the root area and makes sure the sprayers dent get clogged up (they spray the hanging rootmass with a constant fine spray of nutes)

Each system has its own peculiarities - but I reckon they're all fun

Hope your grow goes well.

MM :D

just as big mike from Advanced Nutrients says:-

when in dought flush it out...

so very true, if ya having problems with ya plants the first thing you shold do is flush the system with ph adjusted water (grow=6.2, flore=5.6) for a day or two, this removes excess salts and toxins released by the roots and wipes the slate clean.

Personally I flush every week between water change (weekly) and it does not hurt the plant at all, infact I swear by it 2 increase yield. Usually feed nutes for 5 or 6 days and 1 or 2 days flush with water only. I find after the flush the leaves go that really nice green colour (not 2 dark) and any bubble effect on the leafs dissapear and they go really flat, and grow alot faster.

I also flush at end of crop for 5 days and change water about 5 times aday in this peroid, to really draw out salts quickly - when im finished the leaves are all yellow with red/purple overtones, no green at all. To help with this dont give ya plants any nitrogen for week 7&8 of flore - makes your buds go that really light green colour, with high bag appeal.