<<<<< Coco Medium users >>>>>>

Hi, I am wondering about the various mixes people use with Coco in there Coco medium. I use 100% Coco & do ok with that.

The obious one is 'perlite'. Also, what compost (as opposed to the "inert" Coco & perlight medium). What information I am after concerns the compost if you use Coco as a supliment with a compost. What compost & why that cinoist + approx cost - be nice ?

Is the use of perlite and/or Coco in your mix considered heretic if I say it's "organic" - I'm getting itch feet and would like to do an 'organic grow'.

This info is of interest to me aas I simply don't know. :peace:

Thanks Coco Growers & others.

Is the use of perlite and/or Coco in your mix considered heretic if I say it's "organic" - I'm getting itch feet and would like to do an 'organic grow'.

coco is just the ground up brown shit on coconuts, so in short its still an organic...

i have used coco for a bit now, well my first grow was 100% coco, my second was about 70/30 coco/perlite, 3rd grow was about 50/50 and now that i have just started another crop and seem to get better results with the more perlite i use, im using what i call dirty perlite, its like 90-95% perlite with a bit of coco to hold water for a bit longer and its working a treat :thumbsup

so i cant help with the mixing and stuff but i havent liked coco enough to use it organically :peace:

I'm not sure that adding compost to a coco medium would be a good idea.

Hey Animal, Just FYI - it's a fine idea if you are inclined to do it (instead of just relying on hydro coco nutes for feeding).

My theory is "If you can do it with soil, you can do it with CoCo", so far I've found it to be true.

CoCo itself composts down quite nicely, I don't re-use my coco, I just tear the root-ball from my old plants up and stick it along with the medium on my compost heap... I think I'm the only one I know that has compost with pre-added perlite ::peace::

Adding compost/ferts/conditioners to CoCo is fine, just think of it as "neutral" soil. You can even make yourself a CoCo/potting-mix/perlite mix if you want, it also works quite well.

I've tried the following with CoCo:

- Mixing a CoCo/perlite/blood-and-bone mix.

- Making a CoCo/potting-mix/perlite mix.

- Using Straight CoCo, or a CoCo/Perlite mix.

- Transplanting Soil into Coco and vicea versa.

- Using plain CoCo as a cloning-medium.

All work quite well, but as I've told others - I just LOVE my plants grown in soil-mixes, there' s just something about them that the CoCo can't seem to match.

I was going to say if you want to do that you may as well be growing in soil.  :(

True, but it depends on your objectives.

Mothers do better in pure CoCo or CoCo mixed with perlite than soil.

Plants veg faster in CoCo than soil, but don't seem to be as healthy overall.

I like soil for growing plants from start-to-finish, CoCo has also given me great results but I've never had burn or deficiency symptoms when using soil.

I could see a reason for putting Compost in your CoCo if you were trying to acheive 100% organic cocoponics, assuming you'd use a seaweed or fish emulsion as ferts instead of Coco-Specific hydro nutes. Theoretically you could provide the same levels of nutrient via organics and get the same performance as using CoCo and hydro nutes.

But I digress, I like soil, I like CoCo, and I like growing - ultimately what you do for your plants comes down to individual experimentation - there is no "BAD" way of growing.

Just my 2c. :peace:

But I digress, I like soil, I like CoCo, and I like growing - ultimately what you do for your plants comes down to individual experimentation - there is no "BAD" way of growing.

in situations like that you just gotta figure out what works best by growing 10x the amount of plants and seeing which method works best + come harvest time you'd have a lovely range of buds, even if they were all the same strain :reallyexcited:

Edited by wantdachronic

You remind me of Luke Skywalker.  I'm very stoned  :mellow:

Why do you say mothers do better in coco than soil then say plants seem overall more healthy in soil?  Something that didn't make sense to me...

Mothers I look for slower overall growth and low maintenance. My Mothers are not provided with much water or food, CoCo & CoCo/Perlite have always done better at this in my experience.

Plants I grow to flower I'm pushing to grow alot harder, as a side affect I need a stronger immune-system in the plant. Soil has always done better at this in my experience.

That's basically why, I'm not going to go into details and describe each individual aspect of my experiences which formulated this opinion... not in the mood for a lengthly debate tonight thanks :peace: