Plants laws

Hi all,

Me and my housemates have been contemplating growing ourselves so as to avoid the hassle and cost of buying, just wondering if anyone can tell me how the VIC laws about this stand at at the moment. done a fair bit of research about this but can only seem to find info about dried stuff in your possession. They say with this you have a couple of warnings before you get anything serious but possession of plants isn't really mentioned. Does this mean growing in small amounts is considered more major in Melb? (Seeing as in SA and NT a few plants are allowed)

Anything you know about this'd be great.

Cheers

there is a thread on this in the canna & politics section.

Victoria

Offences

Under Victorian legislation the use of cannabis is a summary offence with a maximum penalty of $500. Possession and cultivation are indictable offences. Possession of less than 50 grams (any part of the plant) for personal use attracts a maximum penalty of $500, and possession of 50 grams or more for personal use a maximum penalty of $3,000 and/or one year imprisonment.

Cultivation of less than 250 grams of cannabis (if not for trafficking) carries a maximum penalty of $2,000 and/or one year imprisonment. 250 grams or more, or 10 plants, is counted as a traffickable quantity, and possession of those amounts is taken as evidence of trafficking.

Cautioning and diversion

Victoria has statutory procedures for dealing with first and second time possession/use cannabis offenders.

A system of adjourned bonds has applied for some time in Victoria for minor first time (possession and use) drug offences. First offenders are given a bond, and no conviction is recorded if the bond conditions are complied with. In 1993, adjourned bonds were applied to 40 per cent of all minor cannabis charges in Victorian magistrate’s courts.

Victoria also has a police diversion scheme, the cannabis cautioning program (CCP), which has operated since 1998 (although it is not legislatively based). First or second time offenders (over 17 years of age) who have had little or no previous contact with the criminal justice system can be issued a caution notice instead of having the offence proceeded with through the courts (for possession/use of up to 50 grams).

The caution notice includes information about the harms of cannabis use. Whether an offender is offered a caution is at the discretion of the police officer concerned.

good luck with ur grow :smoke

Cheers for all the replies and stuff, thanks jjfto for all the info. I had a quick search of the forums but didn't find anything, maybe I shouldve looked a bit harder before asking! Anyway that helps a lot. Yeah, thinking of growing outside most likely, thats the problem. People living in my area are not very...liberal minded (most likely big L Liberal minded it seems!) so if some nosy neighbour peers over the fence and sees something they're not gonna be very rational about it.

The laws seem pretty lame, I'm guessing just one reasonable plant is gonna weigh more than 50 grams! Mmm yeah I think I agree with you, maybe Id better just not get caught...