prohibition of mj

can you guys give me some reputable sites that i can use as a sorce for my inf im writing a report on the history of mj in north america from early settlers days and indian usage ato modern day pot farms in houses

basically i need good sorces for my paper gov and edu sites if possable but it doesnt have to be it just has to be backed up on my reference page

Edited by fsagertyaef

I don't know if this will help, but a good base to start with would be the documentary "Magic Weed - The history of Marijuana", whilst not the perfect reference itself it does give you good concepts and ideas for areas to look.

You can find it pretty easy on bit torrent (iso hunt) I think is where I found it.

ok i did the history pot not just north america i threw this tgether last night i didnt sleep but i still need to sorce it

my only problem is the class ended last thursday my teacher will be around for 2 more days today and wensday and i might be able to beg and plead a case

none of these are true but i could be belivable everyone told me to go into thearer

g/f of 6 years left me

my dog died

i was out of state for a some reason i

lost my job so i didnt have money to ride the bus

i can think of something but anyways heres my report

if you see any glaring errors once again please tell me so i can revise it a little

this ones a little longer 6 pages single spaced instead of 4 pages double spaced

tell me what you think

Cannabis, more commonly known as marijuana or pot, has been recently made illegal, or, at least recently compared to its long history, which is the topic of this report.

It will be going back to its earliest known uses, 6,000 years ago, to today and the uses it has in modern society. As far back as history goes, marijuana has been documented (not that well in ancient times) as being used mostly for medical and textile purposes, but also for its psychoactive effects. Six thousand years ago1 is where its known history begins. Although it likely was used long before that, there was nothing to be found on this great plant until about 4000 B.C.,2 where there is evidence that it was being used to make cloth in China. The first time that there is really good evidence of its different uses is in 2727 B.C.,3 when first it was mentioned in a Chinese book whose title translates as “Pharmacopoeia.”4. By this time, cannabis was being used worldwide for a variety of different medical purposes5. Around 1500 B.C., the Chinese and the Scythians 6 were cultivating cannabis for a source of food and for fiber to make paper rope and cloth around 1200 B.C. Bhang (dried cannabis leaves, seeds and stems) was mentioned in the sacred Hindu text “Atharva Veda,” or “The Science of Charms.” It is known as Khazakstan’s “Sacred Grass,” and is one of the five sacred plants of India. It was routinely used as a sacrament to Shiva as early as 700 B.C. It has been found in tombs of royalty in what is now Khazakstan around 500 B.C. A tomb of a Scythian couple who died and were buried with two small tents covering censers was found. Attached to one tent stick was a decorated leather pouch containing wild cannabis seeds. It is only to be guessed that the deceased believed they would be wanted, if not needed, in the afterlife. The tomb was discovered in 1940 A.D.

Around 500 B.C., cannabis was introduced into Northern Europe by the Scythians. An urn containing leaves and seeds of the cannabis plant was unearthed near Berlin. For the next 500 years, it grew in popularity and was soon found all over the known world, grown for textiles for the most part.

Recreational use is first truly documented at any length around 430 B.C. The psychoactive properties of cannabis are mentioned in the newly compiled herbal treatise by Pen Ts'ao Ching, one of the fathers of Chinese medicine. The Persian prophet Zoroaster wrote the “Zend-Avesta,” a holy text which lists more than 10,000 medicinal plants. Hemp is at the top of the list.

Around 1 B.C., treasures were buried in tombs; boxes made of gold and precious stones were used to store hashish and salt. Between 70 B.C. to around 150 B.C., it was reported that Romans were using it for medical reasons and for the psychoactive effects. It was made into a drink especially liked by the politicians and nobility.

For the next 800 years, nothing truly devastating or great happened to the cannabis plant with the exception that it spread farther. Middle Eastern users discovered hashish, a more potent form of marijuana made from the glands that grow on the flowers and leaves of the cannabis plant. Around 800 A.D., Islam’s prophet Muhammad decreed that the use of cannabis was allowed, but prohibited alcohol around 1000 A.D. Scholars debated the pros and cons of eating hashish and found that there were very few reasons for it to be considered undesirable. In 1150 A.D., Moslems began operating Europe’s first paper mill, which processed hemp fibers to produce paper. Around the year 1231A.D. hash was introduced to Iraq; since then it has become one of the biggest businesses in the Middle East, not just including Iraq, but also Afganistan and Egypt, the latter being one of the world’s largest suppliers of hashish today. In Persia, around 1256 A.D., Hasan ibn al-Sabbah recruited followers to commit murders, forming a deadly team of men who became known as “assassins,” a word derived from hashish. Legends developed around their supposed use of hashish. These legends are some of the earliest written tales of the discovery of the inebriating powers of cannabis and the use of hashish. In 1256 A.D., Alamut fell from power; 15 years later, in 1271 A.D., Marco Polo brought back reports of Hasan ibn al-Sabbah and cannabis use to Europe.

Ottoman Emir Soudoun Scheikhouni issued history’s first time ban on hashish in 1378 A.D. Little is known of its use for the next half-century, until about 1430, when Joan of Arc was accused of using herbal “witch drugs” such as cannabis to hear voices. In 1484, Pope Innocent VIII labeled cannabis an unholy sacrament of the Satanic mass and issued a papal ban on cannabis based medicines.

Around 1549, in Brazil, slaves who worked the sugar cane plantations were allowed to grow cannabis and smoke it between harvests. About 20 years later, England’s Queen Elizabeth I commanded that anyone who owned 60 or more acres of land had to grow hemp or be fined five pounds, a lot of money back then. In 1564, the king of Spain ordered cannabis to be grown throughout his kingdom, which reached from Argentina to what now is Oregon. In 1619, in the Jamestown colony of Virginia put out the New World’s first marijuana legislation, ordering every farmer to grow hemp plants for their fiber, used in ropes and clothing. In 1631, Massachusetts began requiring farmers to cultivate marijuana, and a similar law was passed a year later in Connecticut. For years, it was used in barter; during times of poverty it was could even be used to pay taxes.

The first draft of the Declaration of Independence was written on Dutch hemp paper; a second draft written soon after that and released on the Fourth of July, 1776, was also written on hemp paper. It later was copied onto animal parchment and signed by the founders. With the country at war with England, wives and mothers of continental army personnel organized spinning, weaving and sewing bees where they made hemp fiber clothes that were essential for George Washington’s troops. Without them, the continental army would have frozen to death at Valley Forge.

Years later, Thomas Jefferson wrote in his personal journal that, while tobacco was necessary for the survival of the economy, hemp was a much better plant to grow because it had more uses and was not harmful to the soil, as tobacco was. While tobacco will not grow without large amounts of fertilizer and nutrients, cannabis needs no fertilizer and can be grown on the same plot for at least two decades without having to be rotated with other crops.

On June 19, 1812, the United States went to war with England after the British cut off 80 percent of its Russian hemp supply, devastating the U.S. textile industry. Soon after that, Napoleon invaded Russia to sever Britain’s illegal trade in Russian hemp. By 1850 there were 8,327 hemp plantations (farms with a minimum size of 2000 acres) in the United States, growing it for industrial purposes such as textiles.

Eighteen years later, ingestion of cannabis was made illegal by a country for the first time when Egypt outlawed it.

In 1876, at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, fair goers celebrating the United States’ 100th birthday visited the Turkish Hashish Exposition and smoked to “enhance their fair experience.” By 1883, there were parlors that served hashish in every major city, more than 500 parlors in New York City alone. In 1890, Queen Victoria’s personal physician, Sir William Reynolds, prescribed cannabis for menstrual cramps. He later wrote, in the first issue of the British medical journal The Lancet, that “when pure and administered carefully, cannabis is one of the most valuable medicines we possess.”

A dozen years later, the Indian Hemp Drug Commission concluded that cannabis has no addictive properties, some medical uses and a number of positive emotional and social benefits. It is estimated that there were over 70,000 kilos of hash imported legally from India to Central Asia.

In 1898, the United States’ war on drugs began after the Spanish-American War erupted. The marijuana smoking outlaw army of Pancho Villa commandeered 800,000 acres of prime Mexican timberland that belonged to U.S. newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst. The seizure of the land led Hearst to start a 30-year campaign denouncing Latinos, portraying Mexicans as lazy marijuana smoking layabouts. most of the basis for the reefer madness movement

In 1914 the U.S. Congress passed the Harrison Narcotics Act, its first attempt to control recreational and other non-medicinal use of drugs, including marijuana by blacks and Mexicans, opium used by immigrant workers so they didn't need to sleep as much and could work longer hours, and cocaine, used by the black population also. In 1920, DuPont became the leading U.S. manufacturer of munitions and also came out with a patent for Rayon, the world’s first synthetic fiber; it was made from stabilized guncotton.

In 1936, Hearst's newspaper empire fueled a campaign against marijuana. Articles with headlines such as “Marihuana Makes Fiends of Boys in 30 Days” created terror of the “killer weed from Mexico.” Through his relentless campaign of lies , Hearst is said to have brought the word “marijuana” into the English language, while fueling racist attitudes toward Hispanics and blacks with reports of “marijuana-crazed negroes” raping white women and playing “voodoo-satanic” jazz music. Driven insane by marijuana, these blacks, according to Hearst-owned newspapers “dared to step on white men’s shadows, look white people directly in the eye for more than three seconds, and even laugh out loud at white people.”

In 1936 DuPont obtained a patent license to manufacture synthetic “plastic fibers” from German industrial giant I.G. Farben Corporation, which later made Zyklon-B, the gas used in Nazi death camps to murder millions. DuPont owned and financed approximately 30 percent of Hitler's I.G. Corps.

And then came the year of hemp’s “perfect storm”: With Hearst’s papers having incited racist feelings against marijuana use, and DuPont wanting to keep hemp from competing with its synthetic fibers, the stage was set for a radical change in U.S. policy. In 1937, the “marihuana tax bill” was pushed through the House Ways and Means Committee. Dr. James Woodward, representing the American Medical Association, testified that the law would “deny the world a potential medicine.” Woodward said that AMA doctors were wholly unaware that the “killer weed from Mexico” was actually cannabis. “We cannot understand yet, Mr. Chairman, why this bill should have been prepared in secret for two years without any intimation, even to the profession, that it was being prepared,” Woodward testified.

From 1937 to 1939 under Harry Anslinger, the Federal Bureau of Narcotics prosecuted 3,000 doctors for prescribing cannabis as a medication. In 1939, the American Medical Association reached an agreement with Anslinger; over the next 10 years only three doctors were procured.

In 1941 Popular Mechanics introduced Henry Ford’s plastic car, manufactured from and fueled by cannabis. Ford illegally grew cannabis for years after the federal ban. When the Japanese invaded the Philippines and cut off the U.S. hemp supply, the U.S. government immediately distributed 400,000 pounds of cannabis seeds to farmers from Wisconsin to Kentucky. Just four short years after cannabis was outlawed as the “assassin of youth,” the government required farmers to watch a “Hemp for Victory” film the government had made that showed the plant in a very positive light. (Government officials later denied, for two decades, that this film existed; it was missing from the Library of Congress but eventually was found by Mark Emmery, a marijuana activist jailed July 30 of this year on charges of selling pot seeds.)

In 1944, New York Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia’s Marijuana Commission concluded that there is no link between cannabis and violence. Harry Anslinger went berserk, denouncing Mayor LaGuardia and threatening doctors with prison terms if they dared to carry out independent research on cannabis. Anslinger remained in power until President John F. Kennedy forced him into retirement in 1962, after Anslinger tried to censor the work of Professor Alfred Lindsmith for a book he wrote.

Meanwhile, medical research into cannibas continued. In 1971, it was discovered that it could quite possibly be the most potent anti-seizure drug for epileptics known to medicine.

In 1973, Oregon took steps towards decriminalization; for the next 25 years small amounts of marijuana under one ounce was classified as a misdemeanor

In 1974, the best known “study” of marijuana ever done was published by Dr. Health. He put airtight gas mask on monkeys, strapped it into a chair and forced them to breathe in the equivalent of 63 Columbian-strength joints in just five minutes. Predictably, the monkeys suffered brain damage from suffocation and carbon monoxide poisoning, but for years the damage was blamed on marijuana.

In 1990, as the “war on drugs” became uglier,14 390,000 American citizens were arrested on marijuana-related charges. That same year,

Los Angeles Police Chief Darryl Gates testified before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee that “casual drug users should be taken out and shot.”15

In 2000, more than 700,000 people were charged with possession in the United States,16 and California alone spent more than $250 million trying to eradicate marijuana. It also spent an average of $30,000 a year for each pot user incarcerated.

There are now more than 25,000 different uses that we know of for the cannabis plant, and yet its cultivation and use still are illegal based on racism and hate. It is time to rethink our laws.

:smoke

That was realy good fsagertyaerf.

Australia's story is really much the same as the US's, a side branch sometime after world war II, when Australia's lips inevitably became attached to the US's Arse!!

I was not aware that there was official recognition of marijuana's effects in regards to epilepsy as early as the '70s. The problem is though, it cannot be solely used as a measure for anti-seizure effects, plainly. It needs some sort of lab to either extract CBD or remove THC (THC causes seizures, CBD stops them, ironic)

I still read an argument like yours and just shake my head, thinking what the fuck is wrong with people, it's 1984 bullshit. The government's telling everyone that 2 + 2 = 5 and everyone just smiles and nods.

Also, i'm not sure of the figures in America, but in Australia, something like 40% of people aged about 14+ (i can't quite recall) had at one time used cannabis. With a number like that, you've got to ask yourself, what makes a law a law? When you think about it, what with the use of illicit drugs, underage drinking, movie/music pirating, theft, plagerism etc.

It would appear that the VAST majority of the world's population are criminals, quite amusing considering the poor image we have of criminals, being killers, rapists etc. So I think that if people knew (stoners and unstoners alike) knew that it almost was "majority rules" when it came to something like cannabis, they might rethink it's level of hazardous. So yeah, maybe something about the widespread use of cannabis and how it's inteeligent use is not drastically unhealthy. And vaporizers, they are important when talking about legalisation, to say an effect of using marijuana is bad lungs is ridiculous when it can be eaten or vaporized effortlessly.

Anyway, yeah. It's really good, i like it.