Future Scrog?

Hi all, hope you're all well mellow.

I am!

As I've mentioned elswhere, i have a friend who lives in a battery-hen estate, in a house the size of a matchbox- - let's call him Ralph. B)

(In this country you never know whose looking in - guess it's paranoia but anyway - )

He wanted me to put up some pics of his setup, but as I don't have a camera I've done some diagrams.

After thouroughly absorbing so much stuff on this site (he's had to dump a large chunk of previous memories - mostly school stuff) this is the frankenstein setup he's created.

He hopes to put a screen in and maximise yield whils keeping the whole setup as low as poss - Max 0.9m

There are some impressive pics of SCROG'ed plants, but when and how you decide to spread, trim and train is all a bit of a mystery.

I'll have a go at putting up the pics - - hang on. :peace:

post-15590-1208212168_thumb.jpg

Howz that? lol

Now things seem to be going well, he's added a watering system - 3 times a day for 15 min with added bubbler by the water pump (bubbler not shown in next pic)

post-15590-1208212794_thumb.jpg

The next stage is to put in a screen, only a small one, but just to test the theory and maybe if we're lucky, be able to celebrate a bit heavier.

There are actually 3 plants - two (unknown strain) have just put out their first seven part leaf at 4 weeks, and one is a late starting blueberry. lol my fave!!!!

The feed is all he can get from garden centres at the moment - houseplant / tomato feed is that ok?

Fish emulsion is a rarity.

Can you use water, mixed/soaked with fish blood and bone powder?

The main concerns at the moment:

The wicks are sterilised cotton sheeting, will they last?

How often should the water be changed?

When to do the 12/12 sexing?

and if you pinch out the centre early, does the two resulting colas get as full?

Thanks for looking. lol

From Ralph - :thumbsup:

and me . :/ . have a good day.

PS . . is it autumn over there now???

Hey dude yes you can grow in less than a metre. I had a 400HPS setup under a work bench that was very successful. Total height was only 980cm.

Blood and bone mixed with water? I doubt that would work as a hydro solution. If you want to grow successfully you will need to buy some stuff, a one litre of hydro nutes won't cost much more than the blood and bone anyway.

Change your water once a week, better nutrients last longer, once again you get what you pay for.

You can flip to 12/12 at 6 weeks if you really want, I like 8 weeks :thumbsup:

If you pinch the centre shoot you will get marginally more bud but at the expense of a longer wait to flower so it's all relative, you should definately tip them growing in that small space.

Carry on :peace:

personally in that small of a space i would just use a tub with an air stone or 2 in it for a pot. you just need to cut a couple of small holes in the lid, put a net pot in the holes, connect up a water pump so the plants can get fed for the first week or 2 and you'll end up with one of the best growing methods around. the plants will never get rootbound and provided you keep air getting pumped into the water the growth rates can truely be spectacular lol

i would also get rid of the aluminium foil being used to reflect light. sure it does an ok job, but if ralph invested $20 he could line his chamber with panda film or even better that mylar stuff. doing that would increase his yields a bit and would more than cover the minimal investment come harvest time.

The wicks are sterilised cotton sheeting, will they last?

How often should the water be changed?

When to do the 12/12 sexing?

and if you pinch out the centre early, does the two resulting colas get as full?

the wicks should last the entire grow, but i personally believe that since the plants are being top fed there really isnt a need for them.

water changes depend on the grower, strains grown and the environment. i was merely topping up my res every 3 days and then changing it completely after a good scrub once a week which should be good enough for that system. but really its a matter of keeping an eye on the watering system and making sure that everything stays clean, it doesnt run dry and that the nutrient levels and pH are kept in check.

12/12 sexing depends on the strain and wether it was grown from a seed or clone. sativas generally stretch more than indicas and plants grown from seed stretch way more than clones. generally speaking you should turn the plants to 12/12 when 1/3 of the growing area is full, but if you are growing from seeds, using sativa dominate genetic or even worse using strains you have no idea about what so ever, make sure you leave extra room for the plants to grow into. it might end up that you turn the plants a little too soon and end up with some free space, but take it as a learning experience for the next grow and turn them a little later if need be. just keep in mind though that if you turn the plants too late you can end up with an uncontrolable jungle and that in itself can cause a whole heap of problems every grower would rather avoid :thumbsup:

as for pinching the stems, im not a big fan of it and from what i have seen it stresses the plant considerably and doesnt give you 2 main colas. from the grows i have seen where it has been done it has caused the main cola to pretty much stop growing while it repairs and because of that the lower growth takes off. that can be a fantastic thing for alot of growers, but since your friend intends on using a screen to maximise his yield he should take full advantage of it to train his plants. the stress levels involved in tying down are minimal compared to pinching or tipping a plant and if your friend only trains the plant into the screen instead of pinching or tipping the plant the lower branches will still grow like crazy, barely any stress will be caused to the main cola and he will end up with heaps of really big cola like buds because of it :peace:

oh and before i forget tell him to buy some good nutrients...the shit the plants are being fed are just that, shit! if he wants a decent crop tell him to spend $30 and get a nutrient that was designed for his intended use of them lol

hope that helps and if he has any more questions i'm more than happy to answer anything i can :/

Hi there and thanks guys.

Friend is getting me some proper nutes.

Fitted bubbler stone.

The excitement is unbearable.

I just hope they're Fems.

Can I sex them early then go back to vegging?

Also I've been looking at Gills Low stress training method. Has anyone else tried this method and could you leave the top un-cut with a big cola?

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!!

FFC

HOORAY - Ralph :blink: Has got a camera!!!

Thought you would like to see whassssup!

This is Ralphs little paradise. ;)

Grown from seed in the pot.

4 weeks old.

post-15590-1208992081_thumb.jpg

This one's his fave - :)

post-15590-1208992379_thumb.jpg post-15590-1208992527_thumb.jpg

post-15590-1208992583_thumb.jpg post-15590-1208992254_thumb.jpg

This one is going well after over feeding it with crap. :wacko:

post-15590-1208992706_thumb.jpg post-15590-1208992756_thumb.jpg

post-15590-1208993053_thumb.jpg

And here's the little blueberry-

started as a runt but now full o beans :)

post-15590-1208992835_thumb.jpg post-15590-1208992887_thumb.jpg

The plan is to eventually hitch them up to a screen, but waiting to see if they are females is really nerve wrecking. :) They've had a lot of love.

Will keep y'all posted. ;)

Cheers!

FFC

Hello all.

lol Ralph's taken some more shots, wanted you to see.

They've been put on to 12/12 for 6 days, the waiting is unbearable. We can't see any signs yet, and we've just notices our light is only a 125W. So I guess that will affect grow rate.

Oh god I wish we could use an HPS. :peace:

post-15590-1210020763_thumb.jpgpost-15590-1210020882_thumb.jpg post-15590-1210020987_thumb.jpg post-15590-1210020971_thumb.jpgpost-15590-1210020936_thumb.jpg

Keep y'all posted. lol

FFC and Ralph :peace: