Eikel's cloning method.

Guest Eikel

ok now i have a couple of questions i just got a magnolia cutting its a treee that i love i took it from my grandparents house i didnt have anything with me but a knife and we had to leave so what i did was i took a cutting it has almost 20 leafs on it and i wrapped iit in a wet paper towel and took it on a 6 hour car ride 2 hours after i got back i rememebred it and got y big rockwool cubes out now i heard f420 say someting about cutting the leafs in half to help it said it help heaps but is that for every plant i really dont want to have to drive 6 hours to go get another cutting but wil if i have to but i have it under 4 flors under my bed next to my 25 or 20 plants that are thriving 24 hour light since i got them started but heres my question what can i do i didnt have my clonex with me im not really sure what my point is i just wanted to ask any more advice how long does it normally take im impatient and i really want this to work should i put a rooting nuit in with the water to help??? is it to late to dip it in clonex??? should it be under floros or outseide thanks and sorry about the ramble :whistling

Guest Eikel

Just to update you all 100% success rate on the rooting of my clones...

Unfortunately none have penetrated the cubes yet, if I had used 1" instead of 2.5" rockwool cubes I'd definately have a pic for you by now.

heres my question what can i do i didnt have my clonex with me im not really sure what my point is i just wanted to ask any more advice how long does it normally take im impatient and i really want this to work should i put a rooting nuit in with the water to help??? is it to late to dip it in clonex??? should it be under floros  or outseide thanks and sorry about the ramble :whistling

I'm of the opinion - "It's never too late to dip in Clonex", I had a cutting that had been made for around a week and still hadn't shown roots. I took it out of the original cube, gave it a good dip in some Clonex Purple and stuck it in a fresh cube. The clone had shown roots outside the 2.5" cube within 2 weeks.

I have no experience outside of MJ to clone, but if the plant hasn't shown roots, maybe just trim/scrape the bottom of the stem a little, sterilize with some h202 (diluted bleach will do), whack some clonex on and then plant in your medium of choice.

Guest Eikel

Finally, some pics of the rooted clones to show you all..

The clones all are well-rooted and some of them will be transplanted into coco next weekend.

Here's the group shot, I've removed the cuttings that were taken from the male plants, so there's a total of 6 clones left (2 offa each plant).

The second pic is one of the WB#3 clones, this was the first to show roots exiting the cube (tips first started poking out 5 days ago or so).

post-4190-1121854826_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1121854920_thumb.jpg

Guest Eikel

The first pic is the first root appearing out of the tall WB#2 clone in the center of the tray.

This root-tip penetrated the cube in the last 24-hours, I check them daily to see when they've rooted - you have to transplant them before their roots get too long (unless of course you grow DWC or something).

The second pic is the roots that have grown out in a 24-hour timeframe from the second WB#3 cutting. His roots last night were the same size as the WB#2 pic. He's the second cutting to have roots penetraing the cubes but he seems to be the most vigorous about getting them out B)

post-4190-1121855185_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1121855320_thumb.jpg

Great Tutorial mate, well done. 1 Question how long did these clones in the pictures take to root through those 2.5" cubes?

Thanks Ragin.

I find you can tell if the plants have rooted within 5-7 days of them being cut, they tend to show roots penetrating the cube anywhere from 21-28 days from being cut.

Usually I see roots out of the 1" rockwool at 14-21 days.

There is a lot of waiting that comes with growing thats for sure. Now when you said "I find you can tell if the plants have rooted within 5-7 days" How can you tell?

Many different ways...

Sometimes when you have an internode close to the top of the rockwool you can see the root coming out of the trimmed wound along the stem.

When "hardening off" plants by slowly opening vents you can see how well they recover and make a reasonable guess how well rooted they are.

You can note that the base of the stem near the top of the cube has "swollen" a bit, that's almost 100% guarantee your plants are rooted well enough for new growth.

You pick things up as you go along, it's just experience really, you note things each time you do them. Practice makes perfect ;)

• Oz unpinned this topic