Eikel's cloning method.

Guest Eikel

Guest Eikel
And don't forget to label your clone... I suggest you cut and cube one-at-a time, I kept forgetting which cutting was from which mum until I started doing this.

post-4190-1119684261_thumb.jpg

Guest Eikel

And here they are in my clone setup.

I use 2 x 18w 2' fluros for my clones, about 25cm above them, they take around 7-10 days to show roots from the cubes. But remember, this process takes time - I've had stragglers take up to 21 days

post-4190-1119684507_thumb.jpg

Guest Eikel

I leave my clones under a 20/4 light-cycle until I see roots, at this point I'll transplant and put them under a 18/6 cycle under my 250w MH. I leave the side-vents on the humicrib closed for the first 3 days, then I open one of them, wait another 3 days and open the second. The top-vent is open the whole time to allow warm-air to escape.

I forgot to mention earlier, the humi-crib has a layer of perlite on-top of the net-tray, and base-tray has around 2cm of water so the humidity stays above 60%. Temps in my setup normally sit around 29-32 deg celcius during lights on, and 20-25 deg during the lights-off phase.

I'll post as soon as the first clone has shown roots.

post-4190-1119684782_thumb.jpg

Very well done Tutorial. :D

At this point I normally cut the bigger leaves on the cutting in half, this seems to cause them less stress and makes them root slightly faster.

(Anyone know why?)

It causes the clones to transpire less, as it has less surface area to loose water.

I usually cut all of my big leaves also,

Only thing I can suggest and It may just be the pics, But I cut the clones so that a node goes in to the cube. Not just a stalk.

It seems to like it done that way. :) ::P:

I suggest you cut and cube one-at-a time, Good idea. And make sure you dip the scapel, or sissors in a weak bleech solution or h202 solution between differnt mums, or strains.

I had a cross contaimnation problem on one grow, and not since. :)

:thumbsup

Guest Eikel

Hi Ferengi,

Thanks for the info on trimming of the leaves - now I know the reasons for doing it :)

Only thing I can suggest and It may just be the pics, But I cut the clones so that a node goes in to the cube. Not just a stalk.

It seems to like it done that way. :P  ::):

Do you know why this makes a difference?

I only realised when you posted this that my fastest-rooting clones to date were infact the ones with a node at the base of the stem. Will be interesting to see this round - I have several with a node buried and some with just the stem. The one in the pic had a node right at the base of the stem, but I cut through the node-point when making the angular cut.

I'm pretty sure cuttings taken with just the stem in the rockwool will indeed root, I think the node must just makes it faster. I'm guessing it's something to do with the nodes having more active growing cells or growth hormones?

I suggest you cut and cube one-at-a time, Good idea. And make sure you dip the scapel, or sissors in a weak bleech solution or h202 solution between differnt mums, or strains.

I had a cross contaimnation problem on one grow, and not since. tongue.gif

This is one of the reasons I make my second cut on the clone in the water-bucket with the rockwool solution - it has a fairly strong oxyplus concentration in the water. But yeah - cleanliness is godlyness in this procedure - remember, to the plant, YOU are god. :D

Then we take our cutting and submerge it into a cap-full of the purple clonex. Don't dip the plant directly into the bottle of clonex, and wash the cap well after you finish before replacing it on the container.
I like to collect a few lids off soft drink bottles for this part, I find there is less wastage with them and you don't need to worry about washing them out after. :D

:P

Guest Eikel
I like to collect a few lids off soft drink bottles for this part, I find there is less wastage with them and you don't need to worry about washing them out after. :P

I normally would use a shot-glass for the Clonex.

Unfortunately my wife has taken offence to her kitchen utensils being used in the shed for my horticultural experiments so I was only allowed to take the knife this time :D

Thanks for the tip, next time I'll grab a soft-drink bottle out of the recycle-bin.

• Oz unpinned this topic