I figure by now most of you have seen the skill level of glass blowing I am at and the style I do. If not, check my stuff out here. Although I think that website may be down at the moment.

Anyway, I have been getting my studio set up and blowing glass and have a couple dozen spoons ready to sell and plan to go into production and make a lot more. But first I am wanting to gather opinions from other people what the market for glass is like here.

Based on what you see of my skill level and style, what would you pay for a basic spoon. Do you find these prices reasonable, would you pay this amount, what do you look for when buying a glass spoon, does quality matter to you in taht you would pay a bit more for somethhing decently made here in australia rather than low quality glass spoons coming out of asia or india ?

This is the pricing I want to do, let me know what you think.

Basic spoon, coated with silver to change to multiple colours in heat - $20

same spoon but with dotted designs or a simple marble attached - $25

3 piece spoon with a swirl design - $35 to $40

Thanks,

Meerkat

Yeah mon ... those prices are quite reasonable but like others have stated bubblers are more popular in Oz.

Have you tried your hand at blowing a bubbler ... I'd pay good money for a well crafted one piece hand blown glass bong :)

Got any pics of your spoons ... load em up

Tugboat ^_^

Hot Knifes are quite popular in New Zeland for doign " spots" :) and with some small groups around aus as the others have mentioned though it's largly a bubbler and joint crowed

However I'd definatly grab a knife or two when ya start making them as I never liked the idea of useing metal knifes that much ^_^

Guest niall
Yeah mon ... those prices are quite reasonable but like others have stated bubblers are more popular in Oz. 

Have you tried your hand at blowing a bubbler ... I'd pay good money for a well crafted one piece hand blown glass bong  ^_^

Me too Meerkat - I've tried spoons and I just don't like them, much rather be smoking a nice bubbler. I wouldn't mind a decent hammer, but I'd prefer a bubbler version over dry.

I think your best bet is to go for small bubblers, both clear and colour, and if your kiln/torch/skills allow it I'd get into making larger tubes as that's what sells over here. As you know I'm planning to start blowing myself soon, managed to rent space in an existing studio by the hour so I'm going to pick up some glasses and tubes in a few weeks. Australian smokers don't seem to like change, everyone seems to stick to the standard Agung pyrex with anodised bonza stems and brass slip-in cones. Moving people to glass will take time, and I think dry pipes is going to take even longer. What I'm going to focus on are locally made versions of the popular Agung tubes - but 100% glass, ground joints, diffusors, ice pinches, moulded handles etc. Basically high-quality 100% glass versions of what people are already familiar with. Once you've got people hooked on glass I think you can encourage them to try other things like art bubblers and dry pipes, but it's going to be a long, hard slog I think.

I would really like to do bubblers and water pipes and such, but the reason I am not is that water pipes are illegal in QLD which really sucks and pisses me off royally. Howeve I am more than a bit paranoid about pushing the envelope and making water pipes and having the cops pay me a vist and confiscate my torch and tools, and possibly fine and jail me. Sigh...