Root bound = Eventual death?

Hey guys,

My largest plant has either outgrown her pot or will have very soon - there is no loose soil on the top, and many roots are clearly visible just by looking at the soil. I can't stick my finger through any part of the soil... and I still have about 6 weeks of flowering to go

I read a post on overgrow that a root bound plant will eventually strangle itself and die - is this true? I really, really dont want to transplant again. Do I have any options? I don't care if she doesnt grow any larger, she is plenty big enough for me right now.... but I don't want her to die either

Thanks!

well since you do not want to re-pot the plant, i guess you do not want to bonzai (i think i spelt that right :detective2: ) the plant...thats basically just cutting away some of the rootball and putting it back in the same pot with some extra soil to fill in the gaps...would be much easier to re-pot.

it ashame that your plant is in such a big pot and the plants as big as it is, will make repotting a cunt :thumbdown

what i would do is cut out the bottom of the pot, and stick it on top of another pot full of fresh medium....the roots will grow down into the new pot in no time :sly

also, if your plant is that majorly root bound, that drooping is to be expected as my plants were just rootbound and since i re-potted them, they are all happy and pointing back up at the hps :sly

Yeah i figured about the drooping and stuff... though yesterday i watered with some nutriboost (before reading that it prolongs flowering - doh) and now the leaves are 100% pointing up and fabulous

I have thought about cutting the bottom off and putting it on another pot - I even have all the dirt and extra pot necesary. But I just dont want to do that cause then I'll have to raise the light the same height then figure out some way to raise all my other plants up to the same height which would be a bitch... rather not repot at all

Bonsai sounds alright, what about instead of cutting the roots, using an additive such as superbud? It supposedly stops all vertical growth immediatly. Or Bonzabud?

the problem is already there, too many roots :detective2: IMO using an additive to stop vertical growing isnt going to reduce how root bound the plant is...although that nutriboost sounds awesome, have a pic?

it would be a bitch having to do all that (moving light, etc) but it would increase your harvest and let the plant get to its optimal performance...well worth the effort IMO

id say you have no choice but to repot.i personnally wouldnt cut off roots at all.only do this with mothers to keep them smaller so they never outgrow mother chambers or rooms..what about a pot or one of those storage containers.choose same height as pot you have.wont gain height but will just be a bit wider.just means more soil around the sides not the bottom.superbud wont stop root growth on stem growth.

Important Information

By using the community in any way you agree to our Terms of Use and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.