Arrgh, I think I have scarid-fly!!!

Guest Eikel

Guest Eikel
It does work man, if it hadn't been for the regular doses of it, our last harvest would've been totalled from scarid fly. It won't keep them away completly, but it discourages them quite a bit. We use it on a regular basis with the girls :thumbsup

Before I scare anyone off, I'm now thinking these things aren't scarid-fly larvae.

As you can see from the pic, they look like little maggots, but the thing is.. they are ONLY in the pots with potting-mix, I went and searched through my plants in the CoCo mix and can't find a single maggot.

I'm beginning to wonder what the hell these things are - the plants themselves seem to be in good health, infact the ones in the CoCo which are insect-free (as far as I can tell) look to be in a less-healthier state than the ones in the Mix.

Also, in regards to the Guardian product, whenever I water the pots, the maggots seem to come up from 1-5mm underneath the medium layer, I don't think they like the water mix I've got going.

Will keep you posted as to what happens... I'm completely confused as to what these little things are?!?

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html

shows adult and larvae Fungas gnats and other things also.

Gnats are the most common root pests for us, but It could be other things.

Just researching this a little for ya but couldnt find much. although I didnt know that glow worms are Fungas gnats also.but a different kind eg- NZ fungas gnats.

Glowworms are the larval stage in the life of an insect called the fungus gnat.

http://tourism.waitomo.govt.nz/glowworms.htm

Guest Eikel

Thanks Ferengi, that info was great!

Unfortunately though, I still have no idea what the hell these things are - I've looked at all the larvae pictures and nothing seems to match B)

Wish I knew if these were a pest or just some harmless insect that decided my potting-mix was a good place to lay it's eggs.

Should also mention, I've hung one of those moth-ball things "Naphthelene"-based in my grow-room, I still have yet to see any adult insects in there apart from a few small spiders that are webbing around the top of the box.

Guest Eikel

Thanks Chev, but these:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/IMAGES/S/I-DP-SSTA-CO.001.jpg

(EDIT: Removed IMG link so remote site doesn't get pissed off)

Look nothing like the maggots in my pic (That image is off the site Ferengi posted).

At this point (have discovered even my healthiest plant has the maggots), I'm just going to continue as I have been and ignore them - maybe once they reach adulthood I'll be able to identify the species.

Anyway, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it - you guys rock! :thumbsup

Edited by EIkel

Guest Eikel

Did a bit more searching... this sounds remarably similar to what I've seen:

Springtails and Psocids

Two uncommon pest insects of houseplants are springtails (order Collembola ) and psocids or book lice (order Psocoptera). These are different insects--both are quite tiny so you need magnification to confirm their existence and tell them apart.

Springtails are generally white or light mottled in color. They are elongate or globular in shape. They have a special mechanism to jump (not the hind legs) and it appears as a two pronged tail from the end of the abdomen under magnification. They are more likely to be in high moisture, high organic matter soils. These feed mostly on decaying organic matter.

Psocids are light in color and also tiny. Some have large wings with few veins but most are wingless. They are not frequently found but when present are numerous. They are on the soil or in areas that aren't disturbed around plants. They also occur in stacks of old books and papers especially if such places are damp.

Control: Control is seldom necessary for springtails or psocids. Modifying the environment or reducing organic content of soil discourages their occurrence. Allowing air circulation and cleaning debris, especially damp papers or moisture accumulation from around plants, helps avoid further infestations. Home aerosol insecticides can be used to quickly eliminate a problem.

Taken from here:

http://ag.udel.edu/extension/information/hyg/hyg-48.htm

Looks like sciaridae to me.

There are a few things you could use, one is called Masta MICROBIAL, which is used first as a drench, and then as a foliar spray to wipe out the flies laying the larvae. It can be used as a rootzone conditioner, insecticide, room sterliser, and totally wipes out most infestations. Check out a hydro shop.

The other would be "success" naturalyte spray from your local garden centre. This is used as a drench @ 1/4 full strength and run through the pot once, followed by a flush of fresh water either immediately after if in a recirc system, or the next day if you are handwatering. This stuff will totally wipe out shore fly infestations, (shore fly are much smaller, and the larvae are black and thin rather than looking like maggots) and I've had success using it with sciarid too.

Or you could use neem, which is able to knock back most infestations, although you'd have to be sure about what rates you used it at for a drench, I think ferengi may be able to advise on that one.

The key to managing insects infestations is prevention, prevention, prevention. All intakes should have some form of screening, usually stockings stretched out and totally blocking entry to even the smallest fly. You may want to dust this every now and again to ensure best airflow though. Always wash and change clothes when you go into the growroom after being around other plants outdoors. Pets are included in this too. Many of our pests are able to reproduce without sex, so you only need one....

If you do have an infestation, and you have to use a product to be rid of them, be sure you don't use A: a systemic product, or B: a product with a witholding period which when multiplied by 2 or 3, is longer than the crop will be living. This is because we just don't have any idea what happens to most of these chemicals when they're inhaled after being burnt... Better safe than sorry, particularly when part of the point of growing your own is to ensure that it's safe to consume. Some take this more seriously than others, but IMHO we should be avoiding dangerous chemicals used for pest/disease prevention unless we are absolutely sure that they won't be present at harvest in the plant tissues, or there will be no residues.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

p.s. I forgot to mention, you may want to reduce your watering as well, as sciarid fly and several of those soil layed larval stages of insects are attracted to wet, badly aerated media.