plant bleeding blood?

g'day all,

after tipping (cutting the tops out, to promote a more bushier plant) about 10 plants today of NL X BB - there was one plant that the sap was nearly the colour of blood, maybe slightly more purple/clear colour then red, that pooled onto the end of the stem when cutting it off. All the rest of the plants sap was a clear colour.

has anyone ever seen this before? would like to know what caused it!

Jack

im not worried about as such, just curious as to why it is this colour - the plant inquestion is really healthy - internode length of about 10mm right up the plant.

If I was to guess of the cause it would be that the plant is taking up heaps of nutrient rather then less.

The only thing different that I could put it down to -maybe- is the fact im using "Floralicious by Gen Hdro" additive to the grow cycle. The additive is a really black sweet smelling product, combined with diamond nector additive by Gen Hydro - as this product really helps the plants absorbs more of the nutrients.

Jack

I haven't come across it before, and if you were using the same nutrient product on many plants, and only one showed an effect, it would either be genetic in nature, as a response specific to that additive, or it has nothing to do with it whatsoever, and it's happening purely on a genetic basis.

Sounds interesting though.

btw, do you use the genhydro range of nutes jack? And could I ask what your preferred dosages of grow, bloom and micro components are? Looking into that for a project of mine, and I've heard too much conflicting information, your input would be greatly appreciated. :devilred:

The only thing I don't like about genhydro is they draw orchids in their adds incorrectly. But hey, that's all. lol

Hey Luke,

goto this link:-

http://www.genhydro.com/GH_Feed-Chart.pdf

its a PDF file so you have to have acrobat reader installed

I use the "weekly feeding program" with Flora series nutrients.

the products I use are:-

flora gro

flora micro

flora bloom

diamond nector

Ka Bloom

Floralicious grow/bloom

Been trying to get the Flora sheild and CHI - as they have just got approval to be imported into ozzie lands, rang Holland Forge (General Hydro importer) and they said these 2 products will be on shelves very soon. Can not wait to get these products to complete the system.

I also found that by not using any other brand of additive except the one that you are using makes for alot better results. ie dont mix general hydro nutes with canna pk additive.

The thing I like most about general hydroponics is the stability of the nutrient mix, you will hardly ever have to adjust PH

The only other product which i use as a foliar spray is "super thrive", but only when the plants as stressed due to transportation or other dramas (very rarely).

Another great inprovment ive found is using large lava rock pieces as your media as clay balls do not let in much air when roots balls grows - Volcanic rock is fucking insane media as air can pass right through the roots all the time.

Jack

Thanks Jack, will check that out.

Any other members with experience or interest in GH nutes and additives please feel free to post your opinions here... lol

That CHI looks good, can't wait to see that and some chitosan products out there.

Yeah, have to agree with you on the nutes, most additives are designed and tested with specific nutes, not with general ones, which is why some may run into trouble when mixing and matching. Myself, I use CANNA AQUA vega and flores, biobugs, pk13-14 and superthrive @ 2 drops per 10L. I also give a "thumper" foliar feeding for 4 weeks or so in flowering, finishing up about week 4 depending on bud density.

Thanks again Jack, your posts are always appreciated here. :devilred:

I've had a similar thing happen - I'm currently doing my first grow, I decided to trim some of the lower branches as my plants went into flowering and make clones from the cuttings (mostly just to get some cloning experience).

Anyhow, I used a sharp blade/razor and cut off a few 'suckers'. Afterwards I looked at the blade and the sap from the cuttings was a dark purple color! Almost like blood? :)

I was thinking that maybe the chemicals in the nutes had a reaction to the steel in the razor? The razor I used wasnt a shaving type razor but one of those blades from the hardware store used in scrapers etc. Maybe there is something in the steel that reacts to the nutes? I didnt notice that the sap coming out of the plant was purple? But I didnt really look that hard. :P

One thing I didn't consider was disease. It could be fusarium rots, although I imagine that if you saw fusarium you'd know something was wrong.

I don't think it would be a reaction with your razor/cutter, this would be more likely to rust your blade than cause the plant to "bleed"

It's an interesting one. It would be fantastic if some member with this phenomenon could post a picture, just after a wound is made, might be able to get a better idea then....

And welcome to OS hardboiled. :)