Bloom nutrients in soil

talk about lazy , top dress worm castings , water in & keep them well mulched = job done 

most if not all you need is in the soil , ya just have to learn to tap into it & not poison it ,        pedro ! :)

https://www.simplegrowsoil.com/pages/ultimate-guide-to-worm-castings ( haven't even mentioned the beneficial organisms in castings in c&p below)

Many of the nutrients that plants need to thrive can be found in large quantities within earthworm castings.

Nutrients such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus are practically bursting out of this stuff.

You'll also find nitrates in a very potent form within the castings

02.jpg

While other types of fertilizer or soil supplement can claim these nutrients, they can't claim that they are

immediately available to the roots of the plant. Most of the time when you grow plants, soil that's full of

fertilizer can burn the roots and permanently damage the plant.

With castings, however, all the healthy nutrients that the plant needs are water-soluble and can be absorbed

right away. You also don't have to worry about putting too much casting material into the soil, because it will

never burn the roots of your plants or flowers.

In addition to the core nutrients that the plant needs to grow, you'll also find copper, zinc, iron, cobalt, borax,

manganese, nitrogen, and carbon. That provides a lot of versatility in nutrients for all different kinds of plants

and many different kinds of soil.

It's kind of like worm castings fill in whatever nutritional gaps with your organic garden or crops, and makes

it so that you can grow amazing plants... no matter what!

Yup, It's a method that's proven to work even in my shitty countryside. In my small orchard the only thing i do is mulch and throw a bit of chook poop around about twice a year. Keep it hydrated and the worms move in with a couple of months and do there thing. So if i can bring the soil to life around here, folks should be able to achieve the same results around most of Aus.

Naturally don't let mulch build up around the base of stem as it could potentially cause root rot, keep it clear around the stem by at least 20cm for most plants, if in doubt, allow more clearence.

• Upvote 1

Yeah you have to feed the worms, but most worm castings are made with pig shit 

I spend the off season throwing all sorts of shit on me garden beds, both good and bad? to feed all the little critters in the soil

no chook poo/hay bedding this year, but a long list of other stuff including all the cannabis waste

most of it is organic, mostly use wood ash for potash 

yeah good point indy , def keep top dresses like casting or compost away from the base of your plant 

depending on your mulch i'm happy to leave it up close to the plant base , i use barley straw mostly 

it tends to be more airy when laying down so it drys allot quicker than , say small sized chaff which once layed

can block air movement round the base , but as indy said if in doubt keep it all away from the base  

def right there pedro , pig shit & dried dog food have been my experience, need to avoid guys who produce

worms for fishing cos that's where allot of castings come from , nothing wrong with doing that if your selling

fishing worms i guess , who knows what might be found if one of those guys got an analysis done on there

castings , might not be that bad , " Might " 

you can buy well made castings but you do have to pay a tiny sum for them though , best is setup 

your own worm farms , i say farms cos i reckon if you composted all kitchen scraps , you could support 

multiple farms or even worm towers = in ground worm feeders 

Porky - none of that liquid koolbloom left in Aus. Can't wait for an overseas delivery. IBM - I'd like to use worm castings, but don't have a worm bin set up - just compost, which is all used up for this season. No castings for sale in my area, and delivery cost turns it into a ridiculous price for quantities I need. Granular potash was applied 10 months ago, and again last week, but latest application is slow to break down for an initial flower set. I needed to add it a month ago in the larger holes - lesson learned. Anyway, on more detailed reading these early vs late flower boosters provide more K at start of flower, and more P to finish - -it's the opposite of what I had assumed. Plenty of bass potash on eBay Pedro, I just bought a litre for $19 and will be here in 2 days. Its. NPK =2,9,20 so I'll give two half strength feeds one week apart, and observe. Smaller plants in ground and in pots are bulking up nicely, but largest plants in biggest holes seem to need a boost. If those flowers don't look like thick enough in 6 to 7 weeks, I'll finish the last 4 to 5 weeks with liquid bat guano which appears to mainly phosphorus. Long way to go still. I haven't counted any chickens yet !!! Thanks for all the replies.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

fox

you been reading the manufactures propaganda ?

are you guaranteeing yourself the breeders flowers times will be spot on correct ?   

if a grower has never grown a plant without bottled nutrients how dose he determine a base line 

to evaluate the preformance of the bottles/powders he then buys & uses ?

i challenge you Fox for next season , keep one plant in ground well mulched & well watered & do nothing else 

just don't over water it & see what she dose , the only prep is buy a pack of green manure seeds from bunnings 

& plant them straight after you pull this years plant out , oh & leave the stump & root system in place , no dig 

if it dose no good it's cost you one plant with minimal work to find out you do or don't need to buy bottled nutrients

as well as giving you a rough base line to work from to evaluate bottles you buy  

• Upvote 1

Thanks IBM of course I've been reading manufacturers propaganda, otherwise no way to compare to their claims. lol. I read a lot of propaganda on this site too. Hahaha My current baseline is the other plants I have in the ground and in pots, as well as lots of plants with a few other mates ( all from my seeds) in their gardens that I visit weekly.. I haven't needed bottled nutes all the way through veg,( aside from one specific strain - used eco aminogro), but the biggest plants in larger holes ( appear) to need some help in early flowering ,- the buds aren't setting as quickly. I'd love to use worm castings, it's just impractical ( quantity, time and cost) in my situation this season. Many of the plants don't need anything ATM, as I'm satisfied with how the prepared plot + granular potash has helped set early buds. Appreciate your advice, but I'm going to the dark side for my first year. I'm not a comfortable apprentice without using some "magic" in a bottle to get some of the plants over the line. The call of Bass potash and bat guano are too strong, I can't resist the temptation. I will leave a large Bruce Banner without additives this year, as a comparative indicator to a neighbouring BB that I'll apply some bottled nutes

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1