Fungus Gnats

hey Leni

which neem oil did you use , eco neem for instance ? if so there is a emulsifier in eco neem possibly other ingredients as well 

not just neem oil , if you used pure neem oil , what emulsifier was used 

either way if it is neem oil that causes you bad skin prob , def don't use it or at least keep away from it 

warning for the rest of us , as growers we should mask up , maybe even glove up when spraying anything really , especially indoors 

I had used both Eco-Neem and Mite Rid. Not together obviously, but those are the two neem products I had tried. Both saw nasty eczema breakouts.

The only time I had it that bad was after touching fibreglass matting. :/ I've plans to do some fibreglassing within the next 12 months, but thankfully I know ahead of time and can get appropriate PPE.

Azadirachtin is known to cause skin irritation so I'm not surprised to have had my eczema go off like it did. It might be the elumsifier, but when I learned that azadirachtin can irritate skin, and after the testing I did, I'm assuming it's the neem oil.

Do you know what the emulsifiers are? I'd be keen to patch test with that alone just to see if it's the cause.

Inhalation isn't great for the lungs either, especially if you have respiratory ailments.

ANY herbicide/pesticide/insecticide should be treated with caution, no matter how "natural" or "organic" it is.

Arsenic is natural too ya know. ;) lol

What are people’s opinions on mykos .??

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

I've used mycorrhizae. THIS one.

The plants loved it. So did I!

• Upvote 1

Yeah Leni i heard a few people on another forum say that would get skin irration and one other say they would occasionally get eye irritation if it went near their eyes. I have psoriasis but it doesn't seem to effect me in anyway and i use the eco brand.

Like you said its poison so treat it with caution.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

hey Leni

i don't know the other ingredients / emulsifiers used in eco neem , that's the main reason i don't use it 

i try only using things i know what i'm putting on / in plants so pure neem oil i use , but don't use neem with 

every IPM spray 

i was listening to talk back radio one day & an older lady came on to say she would never use Aloe Vera

again cause it caused some skin irritation , when she said the name of the stuff she used they found the 

cream had 7% aloe so most likely it was the the 93% of something else that was the cause of her skin probs

it could of been the aloe but with 93% something else you can't really say it was the Aloe or not 

i've always avoided concentrated azadirachtin , i think it's better to work with the entourage effect of using the complete 

pure oil , never used it but that mite rid is just the extracted azadirachtin along with emulsifiers & maybe shelf life extenders , i'm guessing 

def good your putting up your experience & issues with using neem , maybe try a test with pure neem oil 

as to avoid any other possible bottled ingredients & the single concentrated azadirachtin

mykos is good because it has Rhizophagus intraradices for cannabis so is the Azos product which from memory 

its a nitrogen fixing product although you can get the same from using beans & peas as a cover crop , both fix nitrogen 

in the soil & require a N fixing bacteria to do that , which is what Azos is from memory , N fixing bacteria 

Rhizophagus intraradices used to be called something else glomus something or other , glomus intraradices i think 

• Upvote 1

Yeah Leni i heard a few people on another forum say that would get skin irration and one other say they would occasionally get eye irritation if it went near their eyes. I have psoriasis but it doesn't seem to effect me in anyway and i use the eco brand.

Like you said its poison so treat it with caution.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Good that it doesn't aggravate you're skin.

Still best to use a bit of PPE tho when using it IMO.

hey Leni

i don't know the other ingredients / emulsifiers used in eco neem , that's the main reason i don't use it 

i try only using things i know what i'm putting on / in plants so pure neem oil i use , but don't use neem with 

every IPM spray 

i was listening to talk back radio one day & an older lady came on to say she would never use Aloe Vera

again cause it caused some skin irritation , when she said the name of the stuff she used they found the 

cream had 7% aloe so most likely it was the the 93% of something else that was the cause of her skin probs

it could of been the aloe but with 93% something else you can't really say it was the Aloe or not 

i've always avoided concentrated azadirachtin , i think it's better to work with the entourage effect of using the complete 

pure oil , never used it but that mite rid is just the extracted azadirachtin along with emulsifiers & maybe shelf life extenders , i'm guessing 

def good your putting up your experience & issues with using neem , maybe try a test with pure neem oil 

as to avoid any other possible bottled ingredients & the single concentrated azadirachtin

mykos is good because it has Rhizophagus intraradices for cannabis so is the Azos product which from memory 

its a nitrogen fixing product although you can get the same from using beans & peas as a cover crop , both fix nitrogen 

in the soil & require a N fixing bacteria to do that , which is what Azos is from memory , N fixing bacteria 

Rhizophagus intraradices used to be called something else glomus something or other , glomus intraradices i think 

It could be an idea to patch test with pure neem, but honestly, I'd rather not. My gut tells me it's the active ingredient in neem, azadirachtin, that is the allergen causing issues for me.

I'ma just avoid it. ^_^

We had plans of doing a cover crop on the big plot prior to deciding to go another way. Might still do cover crops. I just love growing everything. lol

I'm considering adding some myco to it eventually. Funds don't permit it yet unfortunately. I love myco in general when it comes to gardening, no matter what you're growing. Unless you're growing something that doesn't like it, there are some plants it's advised not to use it with. I can't recall which ones off hand, I've bigger things on my mind atm. -_-

fair enough Leni , i only suggested testing again cos it's poss both of those products you mentioned use the same emulsifier 

but def go with your gut 

can't recommend using a cover crop enough , nothing gets down in the soil deep to save you digging like plant roots of some dynamic accumulators 

try cover cropping in a fifty liter pot with a tomato plant this summer & checkout the response you get from the tomato plant 

once the cover crop is about a foot high chop it & lay it in the pot as mulch , a week later plant a tomato plant 

by using a no till method with cover cropping you might find no need to spend $$ on buying a bag of myco 

cos it'll prob already be there in abundance , new roots growing all the time is the way to go i reckon 

i can't remember what plants don't like myco either but i'm pretty sure it ain't canna or fruit & veg ,

is there any other plants worth worrying about :)