This is why you don't mess with electricity.

More to the point.. This is why you don't grow in Houses.

I know that wouldn't sit well with many, and the odds of a fire are fairly slim, but there's still that slight chance, and higher chance in the older houses (40+ y/o). He'd also have to have a very good insurance policy to make a claim I know most would not pay out, and there's some that won't even cover you if you've had a criminal convict against your name in the last 5 years.

Dunno, love me cannabis. But I wouldn't stake my house on it. Each to their own though..

I agree Indy, but likely a necessity in many cases, not everyone can grow outdoors or in a shed etc.

I’ve had one fire in a cupboard in my old post war home, thankfully the auto waterer that caused it also put it out.

Also had a near miss with a melted ballast plug in my auto grow a few years back. That was in a shed though.

Both of these were using old magnetic ballasts... in saying that. With people importing likely not Australian standard ballasts and crap direct from China, not sure which one I would want to use !! Likely neither in my house !

Agreed, the old magnetic ballast seemed to be the main contributor for many years, and I wouldn't mind betting a lot of that was due to poor placement of the ballast where it ends up covered in crap and/or poor ventilation around the unit.

Remember years back some growers would use those 30cm Bathroom extraction fans for ventilation. I'm reasonably confident those could've caused a few issues as well because they weren't designed with 24/7 use. But that didn't stop some folk. I was even guilty of using one once for a couple months until I took note of how much heat had built up in the motor.

Yeah yeah, whatever..

After posting that previous post I realise I should've elaborated a bit more.Considering how long you've used them, you'd have a good grasp on when they're about to shit themselves, which would work for you.

My reasoning for not recommending them is because it wouldn't take long for a newb to cotton on there's a huge saving to be had when comparing a cheap $20 bathroom fan and a $200+ centrifugal fan, and go with the cheaper option thinking it's suffice for growing. Then because they probably don't have a good grasp on ventilation, they'll close it all up with minimal or no air intake, to which then restricts the air flow and in turn overheats the motor and shit starts going south from there.

But yeah, unless you know the capabilities and short falls of these fans. I'd try and steer other folks clear of them and encourage them to go for something that is adequately designed to do the task at hand.

This is an interesting thread. Got my whole grow (massive setup of 2 plants..) in a concrete room. No chance of anything igniting if some equipment goes bad. I will however now check my oscillating 30cm office fan and rethink my strategy of the 2 USB fans. All of those have been running for over 6 months straight.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app