Advice for growing Autos

Hi all!!

I've gotten some great advice for feminized seeds that I want to plant outside but I have a whole bunch of autos that I want to play with too.

I know they don't get too big and they do best not being transplanted but other than that, I don't really know how to care for these fast growers...

Can someone provide me with a link or two if it's ok? And I've seen people say that as they autoflower and aren't light dependant, how would they go being planted in winter?

Cheers!!

If you're going to grow auto's outdoors, don't start them until at least mid Spring.  Not being light dependent means they don't need at least 12hrs darkness to start flowering, they start flowering regardless at about 3 weeks.  But, the more hrs of light they get per day, the more they will grow and produce, so between less hrs of daylight in Winter, and the cold temps, they will perform very poorly outdoors at the moment.

I start my outdoor autos off under lights for 2-3 weeks and put them out bush Mid Spring, though Summer would be better if getting water to them is no problem for you.

Search "buzzo" in the search box top right of page, he did a good tute on growing autos which is a great starting point for beginners, though it is aimed at indoor coco growing.  I've got links to my past grow diaries in my sig down bottom of the post, and there's 1 or 2 outdoor auto grows amongst them with some degree of details, but they're mixed in with mainly indoor photo grows..  From memory there's one at the end of the last diary, and maybe the one before as well.

:peace:

• Upvote 2

If you're going to grow auto's outdoors, don't start them until at least mid Spring.  Not being light dependent means they don't need at least 12hrs darkness to start flowering, they start flowering regardless at about 3 weeks.  But, the more hrs of light they get per day, the more they will grow and produce, so between less hrs of daylight in Winter, and the cold temps, they will perform very poorly outdoors at the moment.

I start my outdoor autos off under lights for 2-3 weeks and put them out bush Mid Spring, though Summer would be better if getting water to them is no problem for you.

Search "buzzo" in the search box top right of page, he did a good tute on growing autos which is a great starting point for beginners, though it is aimed at indoor coco growing.  I've got links to my past grow diaries in my sig down bottom of the post, and there's 1 or 2 outdoor auto grows amongst them with some degree of details, but they're mixed in with mainly indoor photo grows..  From memory there's one at the end of the last diary, and maybe the one before as well.

Thanks for your info mate. Just curious though...what lights are you using? I got rid of my hydro gear over a decade ago....

Hi Guys, long time lurker, new member. i have been an outdoor grower for around 25 years and thought i would have a go at autos in the middle of winter in south east Qld. I bought a few different strains but for this experiment i germinated Berry Ryder and Dreamberry.

they all popped their heads up between 27/05/2017 and 02/06/2017, and are almost ready to harvest. https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/album/1715-otdoor-winter-grow/

Edited by DouglasTheGoat
  • Upvote 2

Hi Guys, long time lurker, new member. i have been an outdoor grower for around 25 years and thought i would have a go at autos in the middle of winter in south east Qld. I bought a few different strains but for this experiment i germinated Berry Ryder and Dreamberry.

they all popped their heads up between 27/05/2017 and 02/06/2017, and are almost ready to harvest. https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/album/1715-otdoor-winter-grow/

I'd be happy with that! :-)

Nice job Goat :applause:   Looks like a nice return for your experiment.  

Can you tell us how many daylight hours the plants had say around early June and now?  Looks like they're in coco/perlite?  what size pots are they? 

Nice job Goat :applause:   Looks like a nice return for your experiment.  

Can you tell us how many daylight hours the plants had say around early June and now?  Looks like they're in coco/perlite?  what size pots are they? 

Thanks mate

i had to chase the sun a little bit, which was easy for me as i mainly work from home but around 8hrs of direct sunlight. i tried a couple of different sized pots and the plants doing the best are in 300mm pots.(with the weather warming i will be going to bigger pots, also the two strains i used are on the smaller side of autos)

i always grow in Canna Terra, and for this experiment i tried canna straight out of the bag and canna with about a handfull of extra perlite per pot. once again the plants with the extra perlite have done better.

• Upvote 1