CO2

Hey -

I'm sorry I haven't worked out how /where to post this question, so I've had to stick it here!

OK...Has anyone used the alternative CO2 systems for a grow tent? I have two tents; 1.2 x 1.2. &. 1.95 x 1.95.

I'm looking at the CO2 Pads, MyCO2 boxes, the bottles & their refills and whatever else. I'm trying to avoid

having to do the old style gas canisters & regulators. Is it possible to use an alternative or are they not effective

enough? I'd LOVE to hear about any experiences with them!!

Hey -

I'm sorry I haven't worked out how /where to post this question, so I've had to stick it here!

OK...Has anyone used the alternative CO2 systems for a grow tent? I have two tents; 1.2 x 1.2. &. 1.95 x 1.95.

I'm looking at the CO2 Pads, MyCO2 boxes, the bottles & their refills and whatever else. I'm trying to avoid

having to do the old style gas canisters & regulators. Is it possible to use an alternative or are they not effective

Unless youre running 1000W, humidity control, temp control etc in sealed room theres no point - Too many variables

• Upvote 1

Hey -

You could sit the Co2 pad behind a fan, i have never heard of a "My Co2 Box"? if your talking about a Co2 burner the burners give u a BTU heat rating u need to calculate the Co2 burners BTU + your lights BTU + season of the year and calculate a air conditioner that is capable of cooling all of it plus allowing the compressor motor to cool down between its cycling while in use, you would need to do all this within a closed off grow room or tent

you can minimize heating by running cool tube reflectors but any leaks in ducting and your kissing the Co2 good bye

why not just buy a aquarium Co2 cylinder from Ebay along with a regulator and valve it will set u back about $250-$300 to buy it outright

if u go with a Co2 burner u need to take into the account of the cost of gas I'm not sure if they use propane or natural gas pretty sure they use propane.. also u have the problem of gas leaks and explosions in the grow room where as Co2 from a cylinder isnt flammable

• Upvote 1

You could sit the Co2 pad behind a fan, i have never heard of a "My Co2 Box"? if your talking about a Co2 burner the burners give u a BTU heat rating u need to calculate the Co2 burners BTU + your lights BTU + season of the year and calculate a air conditioner that is capable of cooling all of it plus allowing the compressor motor to cool down between its cycling while in use, you would need to do all this within a closed off grow room or tent

you can minimize heating by running cool tube reflectors but any leaks in ducting and your kissing the Co2 good bye

why not just buy a aquarium Co2 cylinder from Ebay along with a regulator and valve it will set u back about $250-$300 to buy it outright

if u go with a Co2 burner u need to take into the account of the cost of gas I'm not sure if they use propane or natural gas pretty sure they use propane.. also u have the problem of gas leaks and explosions in the grow room where as Co2 from a cylinder isnt flammable

im using these atm..seem to work great i love em..info taken from a hydroponics online website.

The ExHale Original Homegrown CO2 Bag

Designed for small to medium sized grow spaces,

The Original will provide 4x4 Foot or 128 Cubic Foot space with CO2 for 6 months Guaranteed (1.2mtr x 1.2mtr Area)

The Birth of ExHale

(Glen Babcock, Founder) Some 20 years ago I realized the biological function of mycelium. Before that for 25 years I had lived a life of a seed breeder’s son. My father always had a saying; “First the Seed”, when I was young we would plant thousands of crosses hoping to get 20-30 that showed promise of actual becoming a hybrid worth offering to the public. This process would be years in the making.

That same philosophy went into creating ExHale. It is well known that mycelium releases CO2 just like humans. When looking into the possibility of utilizing mycelial-cultivated CO2 for plant production it was obvious to me, it has to be a special strain that only wants to produce CO2.

With most cultivated mushrooms, your goal is to get mushrooms. Go figure. After you have harvested your crop what you have left is fairly valuable, mostly for compost, which in itself produces CO2. The gig is a mycelial strain that produces little or no primordia has more vigor and therefore produces more CO2 for a longer period of time. Just like a mother plant, ExHale just keeps cranking as if there is no end to the day.

ExHale came out of a true love of agriculture and out of the need for a less expensive, easier, safer and more harmonious way to provide your plants with CO2.

Photosynthesis is the process by which plant leaves make carbohydrates. Sunlight, CO2 and water are converted into carbohydrates and O2 by the action of chlorophyll in the chloroplasts of the plant. Plants growing indoors under artificial light often lack enough CO2 to efficiently photosynthesize. When plants are able to maximize the process of photosynthesis, the result is larger plants with larger yields.

ExHale cultivates CO2 24 hours a day with no need to refill bottles or use expensive CO2 production units. The power of ExHale lies in the mycelial mass inside the vented cultivator. This mycelial mass cultivates CO2 and the microporous breather patch releases CO2 continually for up to 6 months.

The ExHale Cultivator is designed for small to medium grow spaces , or more specifically 1 ExHale Cultivator will provide 4-6 plants with the CO2 they need. ExHale can be used for both vegetative plant growth as well as for fruit and flower production.

How to Use ExHale

ExHale comes complete and is cultivating CO2 even before you get out of the checkout line. No need to turn it on or turn it off, simply place ExHale in your grow space and leave it alone to do its job.

A continuous shower of CO2 directly onto your plants is the most efficient way to deliver CO2. Placing the ExHale Cultivator slightly above the level of your plants will insure they receive the CO2 they need 24 hours a day for up to 6 months.

• Upvote 1

Thanks so much to everyone who gave me advice on the CO2 situation. I'm probably gonna try the safer methods just in case they increase my CO2 levels. The fact that they're only about $100 is worth a go, in my estimation. Given it's Winter time and I'm using LED lights, I figure I won't need to run my exhaust fans more than 10 minutes in an hour so perhaps the other 50 mins per hour, the girls can soak up a bit of the CO2 'Exhaled'. Thanks again everyone! Wealth of information & experience.

Thanks so much to everyone who gave me advice on the CO2 situation. I'm probably gonna try the safer methods just in case they increase my CO2 levels. The fact that they're only about $100 is worth a go, in my estimation. Given it's Winter time and I'm using LED lights, I figure I won't need to run my exhaust fans more than 10 minutes in an hour so perhaps the other 50 mins per hour, the girls can soak up a bit of the CO2 'Exhaled'. Thanks again everyone! Wealth of information & experience.

Dont forget humidity and temps need to be higher too for optimal take up.

• Upvote 1

Dont forget humidity and temps need to be higher too for optimal take up.

Oh yeah, thanks. I've had a thermometer/hygrometer in my tent for the last week (waiting for my seeds) just to see what's up and so far it's been temp: 68 - 72 degrees f. and the humidity is between 65-70%. Obviously this is gonna change once the LED lights are on and the plants are in there. And I'm wondering what the middle of winter is gonna require in the way of heating inside my back studio (where my tents are)?

Being a novice to indoor growing it's just another unknown to me. And I imagine ordinarily growers use lights to keep the girls warm overnight but because I have solar power, I'm planning on having the lights on during daylight hours to keep the power bill down a little.

Anyone else have solar? And grow in Winter in a space separate from your living space?

Oh yeah, thanks. I've had a thermometer/hygrometer in my tent for the last week (waiting for my seeds) just to see what's up and so far it's been temp: 68 - 72 degrees f. and the humidity is between 65-70%. Obviously this is gonna change once the LED lights are on and the plants are in there. And I'm wondering what the middle of winter is gonna require in the way of heating inside my back studio (where my tents are)?

Being a novice to indoor growing it's just another unknown to me. And I imagine ordinarily growers use lights to keep the girls warm overnight but because I have solar power, I'm planning on having the lights on during daylight hours to keep the power bill down a little.

Anyone else have solar? And grow in Winter in a space separate from your living space?

You will find most growers here run there lights at night when possible. It's the best road to go down....I know I have solar as well however that's not going to make a huge difference in the power bill enless u had a large battery setup and a lot of panels and that cost a lot of cash but u could get it on credit ;) I got my solar of credit ;) thinking about a battery setup to add on but don't know enough about them as of yet....

If u do not run your lights at night u will also be forced to run expensive heaters in replacement...so there's not really a win win situation here.....if u know what I mean...cheers

Edited by medicalgrower
  • Upvote 1

You will find most growers here run there lights at night when possible. It's the best road to go down....I know I have solar as well however that's not going to make a huge difference in the power bill enless u had a large battery setup and a lot of panels and that cost a lot of cash but u could get it on credit ;) I got my solar of credit ;) thinking about a battery setup to add on but don't know enough about them as of yet....

If u do not run your lights at night u will also be forced to run expensive heaters in replacement...so there's not really a win win situation here.....if u know what I mean...cheers

Oh that's right. I didn't think about it like that - the heater overnight is possibly not much difference to the LED's overnight. Thanks very much for that. What's the 'on credit' power thing? And I've never considered a battery set up. I imagine in more rural areas people might use generators but I'm in a capital city.

I have solar and run a 400w light during the day. It is difficult through summer, but with decent extraction and ice blocks in the res I have managed to run through the last two summers through the day. Winter is easy running through the day as the plants don't seem to mind the cold nights at all.

I might add, average coldest temps through winter in my neck of the woods is around 10C

Edited by Ford Fairlane