Is it possible to run a dwc system in this sort of weather in Victoria

Hey all, had a problem with root rot with Rez temps getting to high creating root rot, anyway Iv just setup a full RDWC system it will run around 120 litres it's a 4 pot system plus a res.

I'm wondering running 150mm inline cerg fans in a 2x2x2 with 4 cmh 315's, one for each plant. Will I be able to keep the temp in the res below 20 with the temps in Victoria ATM? Without a chiller? Planning on getting. A chiller on my next run, I'm just wondering now it's cooled rite down will I get away without chiller in dwc system? Or do I really still need the chiller now?

Also the tent is inside a insulated shed so it does warm up over time.

Anymore info needed I can Provide....

Btw when it started cooling down when I was finishing my last grow the res temps nearly got to acceptable levels, now it's cooled down even more I'm thinking I should be all good besides the fact I'm thinking if we were to have a few hot days ahead of us I could have problems? Don't think that's going to happen but u never know these days.....I was using frozen bottles to lower the temp but with 100 litres running in the system I don't think that will have much of a affect on cooling the system down. Might have to fork out and get a chiller just to stay safe.....not sure see what everyone else thinks now we have cooler weather down here.

I'm further north, and run flood and drain over winter rather than DWC, but I have to put a heater in my res to keep temps up around 20c.  There can be a bit more heat generated in a DWC system with all the constant pump and air pumps operating, and a large amount of nute solution being inside the grow room at all times, but I would be surprised if you didn't still need a heater anyway, plus they cut off when the solution gets up to temp.

Worth waiting on a 2nd opinion from someone who uses DWC though.

U will need to run a heater to keep temps around 20c

Just the cold ambient air will suck heat from ya rez and buckets as once lights r out, make sure the buckets and rez are not sittin on concreat, that will sap ya heat faster than anything.

Think about ya day time temps what are they gettin to as a warmer day can take ya temps higher as well.

I have all ways done reticulate DWC so all i had to heat was the main rez with a fishtank heater.

Just a heads up a chiller is not cheap to run...

• Upvote 1

Just the cold ambient air will suck heat from ya rez and buckets as once lights r out, make sure the buckets and rez are not sittin on concreat, that will sap ya heat faster than anything.

Think about ya day time temps what are they gettin to as a warmer day can take ya temps higher as well.

I have all ways done reticulate DWC so all i had to heat was the main rez with a fishtank heater.

Cheers mate all good, yeah I realise a chiller will use a lot of power, Iv been told to get a teco chiller as they don't run no we're near as much power?

Also mate since you are rite into your dwc do u have any useful tips for a beginner to run a full RDWC system?

I was running a semi dwc system but now Iv gone all out and made a diy system very similar to the current culture systems out now. Mines a 4 pot system, going to run around 100-120 litres of nutes, Iv gotta feeling my 4500lph pump is going to be around 4x as strong as I need it to be but I have a tap on the return pipe to slow the pump down, just hoping I don't stuff the pump up by slowing the pressure down so much? Thinking I might be better of with a smaller pump? What's your thoughts mate?

When I was running last setup (the 8 x rdwc .. check my post history) the temps of my res's were quite high, sometimes upto 30c (due to it being 40c outside, and 4 x 600w). I tried ghetto chilling by freezing large blocks of ice etc as I had no cooler.

However I didn't run into any issues at all, no root rot or discoloring. Plants were all very healthy.

Some people suggested trying peroxide but I didn't end up bothering.

The main takeaway that I got is that lower temps (~22?) that dissolved oxygen levels in your water/nutes was optimal. It dropped quite rapidly for each degree over.

I may have just been lucky. I had 450 litres of solution being circulated also (8 airstones).

When I was running last setup (the 8 x rdwc .. check my post history) the temps of my res's were quite high, sometimes upto 30c (due to it being 40c outside, and 4 x 600w). I tried ghetto chilling by freezing large blocks of ice etc as I had no cooler.

However I didn't run into any issues at all, no root rot or discoloring. Plants were all very healthy.

Some people suggested trying peroxide but I didn't end up bothering.

The main takeaway that I got is that lower temps (~22?) that dissolved oxygen levels in your water/nutes was optimal. It dropped quite rapidly for each degree over.

I may have just been lucky. I had 450 litres of solution being circulated also (8 airstones).

Ok cheers, with 15 degree days and lower and running 4 x 315s I won't be creating as much heat as u did I guess?

I'm thinking I may getaway with the weather situation ATM. But in summer a chiller is going to be a must have

Ok cheers, with 15 degree days and lower and running 4 x 315s I won't be creating as much heat as u did I guess?

I'm thinking I may getaway with the weather situation ATM. But in summer a chiller is going to be a must have

Another option for summer which saves money and dramas is to do what I do and run coco/perlite in decent size pots.  I only run flood and drain over the cooler months for so I don't have to worry about chillers, pythium etc, but with coco being nearly as good an insulator as soil the rootzone seems to stay happy in it during hotter weather.

Having said that, I shut down completely in early to mid summer, and only veg during late summer, but where I am it get up around 40 through to the end of March, so no point trying to flower any earlier.

• Upvote 1

True cheers mate but wanting to stick with dwc full time....even if it means chillers and air cons in summer, Decided I'm not stuffing around and anything that is basically a must have for dwc I'm going to get! I'm fully stocked up on a P or so of my home grown and there I'll have plenty of $$$ the next few weeks so looks like I'll be shopping around to complete my dwc ready for the next hot/warm days we have that might not be for a long time but better prepared then not.