Unknown problem

AstroBoy,

You stated that you're using Canna veg nutrients, is that Canna Terra Vega?

What's the water source? Tap?

How are you testing the pH of the water?

What pH does the water start at?

How are you adjusting the pH of the water?

Do you check/adjust the pH before and/or after adding the nutrients?

Not familiar with Canna Terra, I know it's a soil and that's it's meant to use specific nutes, but that's about it.  So might be worth making sure you've got the right nutes, and checking PH for a start.  Adding a bit of hydroponic cal/mag additive shouldn't be a problem with it though, if needed.

Any chance of a pic of your Nightingale, I'm curious as I have a Nightingale seed waiting for me to create an opportunity for her.

The canna terra nutes are way off in their ph when you follow their instructions . For example when I mix up the vega it comes up at 3-4 ph . We use rhizotonic to bring it up or the ph up and down . Make sure you're checking the ph of the terra nutes before adding them . Not sure if that helps .. We were blown away at how far off they are when made up following their instructions ..

AstroBoy,

You stated that you're using Canna veg nutrients, is that Canna Terra Vega?

What's the water source? Tap?

How are you testing the pH of the water?

What pH does the water start at?

How are you adjusting the pH of the water?

Do you check/adjust the pH before and/or after adding the nutrients?

Use tap water then add the nutes. Then I pH to around 6.0 always have to pH up.

The canna terra nutes are way off in their ph when you follow their instructions . For example when I mix up the vega it comes up at 3-4 ph . We use rhizotonic to bring it up or the ph up and down . Make sure you're checking the ph of the terra nutes before adding them . Not sure if that helps .. We were blown away at how far off they are when made up following their instructions ..

I agree after mixing the pH is at around 4.0.

Rhiztonic is it worth using was thinking of getting some.
  • Upvote 1

Not familiar with Canna Terra, I know it's a soil and that's it's meant to use specific nutes, but that's about it. So might be worth making sure you've got the right nutes, and checking PH for a start. Adding a bit of hydroponic cal/mag additive shouldn't be a problem with it though, if needed.

Any chance of a pic of your Nightingale, I'm curious as I have a Nightingale seed waiting for me to create an opportunity for her.

Only have one under the lights not a real God pic. One before thinning out one after. post-60945-149311420801_thumb.jpgpost-60945-149311422044_thumb.jpg

Rhiztonic is it worth using was thinking of getting some.

Rhizotonic is the best out of all of them .. With the cannazym as well , out plants have responded really well . If you pull em up on eBay , in descriptions it will tell you what they do .. Can't recommend them enough . Edited by drizlax420

Use tap water then add the nutes. Then I pH to around 6.0 always have to pH up.

Apologies if it seems like I'm pushing this point too far but it's a good idea to make sure the basics are taken care of before throwing more nutrients at the problem.

Are you checking the pH with a digital pen? Have you properly calibrated it? What are you using to adjust the pH?

The reason I ask these is because I had an issue that I thought was a phosphorus deficiency and was looking at adding more phosphorus even though I was at the high end of where it should be. I was also looking at other nutrients that could affect the uptake of phosphorus. In the end it was the pH calibration solution I was using had drifted so the pH meter was off and the pH of the nutrient solution was wrong. When I fixed that things improved considerably.

Additionally, I've used things like citric acid and vinegar to adjust the pH down and the pH would come back up again. Using a better acid to reduce the pH has made the pH much more stable. It's possible that if Canna are buffering the pH then your attempts to adjust it are not stable and the pH drifts back down.

Have you tried looking at runoff when you water/feed? I'm not sure what the best way is to check as I've never tried but I'm sure there's some info around somewhere.

You could also try taking a sample of your nutrient solution after you've mixed it and have adjusted the pH, then check it over the course of a couple of days to see if the pH is stable.

Rhizotonic is the best out of all of them .. With the cannazym as well , out plants have responded really well . If you pull em up on eBay , in descriptions it will tell you what they do .. Can't recommend them enough .

Rhizotonic is essentially just a seaweed extract isn't it? Sort of like Seasol? From the Rhizotnic MSDS:

Liquid product based on brown algae, watery solution with polyelectrolyte properties, cation exchanger.  

Preparation contains among other ingredients galacturonic acid (CAS# 685- 73- 4, EC# 211- 682- 6), iodine, trace elements, salts.

They say the pH is "less than 11.0" and I'm guessing they use Ascophyllum nodosum for the "brown algae".

I think Seasol is derived from two or more different types of seaweed. According to the MSDS it also contains potassium hydroxide and has a pH of 9.5-10.5. The potassium hydroxide should be effective at adjusting the pH up assuming there's enough in there.