Sex reversal experiment - Silver Thiosulphate

observed by Who ?

Well, me for starters but I'm not entirely making this shit up - here's some published plant science https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1c12/d4bbe82700718ea14148503f41395e066b1a.pdf and some grower lore  http://bigbudsmag.com/why-marijuana-plants-grow-and-look-different/

A plant's genetic sequence determines what it can do. The growing environment determines what it does. Variation in clones is more or less inevitable because of variations in their individual environment. Mostly the variation is trivial but variation in potency and odour are two that I can vouch for from personal experience with re-vegging and with "identical" clones. Interestingly there's recent literature about actual sequence variation arising by mutation in tissue culture cloning if you are interested PM me.

Your mileage may vary. Your clones will too. :)

Edited by doctor_nelson
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like epigenetics is a fancy name to explain environmental variations..

That and a lot more. DNA is an amazingly stable molecule but most of the time it exists tightly coiled up in the nucleus - you have a 3 billion "letters" - a couple of meters of DNA - squished into a very tiny volume in every nucleated cell. Every cell - same DNA in your liver and your brain - it's epigenetics that makes the cells behave so differently even though they all have exactly the same DNA sequence.

Epigenetic mechanisms change the shape of the coiling so different parts of the enormous DNA sequence can be exposed to (or hidden from) the transcription processes that read the DNA code to make new proteins.

Epigenetic marks can be made or removed in a few seconds allowing a cell to quickly adapt to changes in the environment.

• Upvote 2

Full disclosure: I'm not a plant genetics expert - I've studied human and rodent genetics and epigenetics - but the basic chemistry and physics of DNA are the same in plants and animals.

tl;dr AFAIK, phenotypes like flavour and potency can certainly vary in a clone compared to a parent and I think that's pretty widely observed,

observed by Who ?

I don't know about what your saying serrated? Your subjective is different from mine so to observe and not take your buds to be analysed by GCMS we are guessing at best. What doctor Nelson said re the S1 and environmental mutation to to exposure to environmental factors. Pretty good info.

Yeah I agree for the most part clones are clones identical copies if the "mothers" DNA. DNA can mutate due to environmental factors such as radiation.

What i suspect though serrated is you got your cloning tech so down there is 0 stress or exposure to anything other then a perfect clone. As for me I tend to be pretty Fucking slack with clones. I just don't care enough.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I've been waiting till the flowers have partly opened to remove them from the plant and tap the pollen out. There is a bit of trial and error involved. Take them off too early and they don't develop enough to drop pollen, too late and some pollen will be lost when you tweeze them off. If you get the timing just right you don't lose any pollen as you remove them, you then place on a piece of paper and as they dry the pollen is released.

I don't have a separate area setup so the flowers are developing really slowly. I've just been putting them in a wardrobe at night and in a room with the ceiling light on during the day.

I have brushed some lower buds of the Lush with the tweezers after handling the flowers and the pollen looks fertile (pistils are abscising).

nice work mate... got my silver nitrate on egay but had to get the sodium thiosulfate anhydrous from the states... cheap as chips and got here in about 8 or 9 days...

year ago i did a grow in a 60cm x 90cm grow cab with only a viparspectra 300w with 12 clones... STS on one power africa FAST [skunk #1 x durban] and flowered it up to pollinate 4 other strains: malawi ducksfoot [malawi gold x ducksfoot], txaki [mexican tijuana x candida], white widow FAST and congo [congo #3 x bangi congo  x chitral indica]. started to spray a week before i turned them and just had a fan blowing across the canopy to spread the pollen... ended up with well over 3000 seeds. now my mates have 100% fems and don't have to waste time growing males or have to put a credit card footprint on the internet to buy seeds... happy fuking daze!!!

also did a few outdoor autos before that and ended up with a few hundred auto duck x black cream auto and crossing them back over each other at the moment...

• Upvote 1