Lights to help outdoor flower or no?

Hi

If you were trying to get the most out of your plant, do outdoor growers ever supplement their plants with lights?  Would hooking up a LED Flowering grow light 135-watt be a big benefit?  Or would a light addition to a flowering plant put it back into vegetative state because of the light / darkness ratio changing?  When would you apply the light if it was a good addition, anyone experimented with this?  Feel free to tell me i'm dreaming, literally new to this and started v late in the season just trying to yield something...

Cheers all

-Tea

Hey Tea

Experimenting with something similar at the moment. Clones taken from Early Durban(Male) and Diesel (Female) very late...26 Jan.  I am on day 2 of 18/6 veg. 12hrs in sunlight 6 hrs under 2 x 24watt CFL's . If I let these clones just go they will immediately go into flower and they are tiny and just getting their first set of new leaves. I am going to keep this 18/6 up until mid to late march and hopefully what will happen is that they will happily veg on. The male I will let go in a separate area until it produces seed..(don't know if clone seed are any good..guess I will find out) I don't think I should have any real problems because the lighting is supplementing the sunshine and not the other way round. I have heard of growers talking about "hardening off" indoor plants to  go outdoors but I don't expect this to be an issue.

Here is the rig I put together for a total cost of only the globes...

post-52663-0-18290500-1423777862_thumb.jpg Have made a couple of minor changes since this photo but you get the idea. 

I am sure someone has done the same thing for flowering in fact if I change out the globes and maybe add a few more I could flower in this as well...If I can get the plants to a 3-4 nodes of growth before I let it flower then I may even get a reasonable yeild. This is all conjecture on my part but given another week and I should be able to see some real growth (if its working)

Cool man thank you for the insight. Hope it works out for you max.

Problem I see is that I'm pretty sure my plant has begun to flower. Lots of little white hairs established.

If I supplemented an LED flower light for like 4 hours every day from sunset, would that force the plant back into veg and ruin the budding? I don't know much about playing with plant cycles.

Thanks for the reply.

With Photo period plants they start to flower when the sunlight gets to around 12 hrs a day  or less so my GUESS is that so long as you gave it no more than 12hrs sunlight/LED total. Then it shouldn't go into veg... If you are down to really low hours of sunlight and then suddenly add a heap of hours under the lights then you would expect it to start to veg again...don't know this for a fact but it seems logical when you consider if you under lights flowering then its 12/12...