CFS

Question

Decades ago accidentally discovered that eating cookies gives stamina - used this effect occasionally to better enjoy physically-taxing rock concerts. Didn't think of using it to overcome symptoms of long-term CFS (more than 20 years, unaffected one way or the other by smoking), but gave up smoking in favour of cookies (to avoid lung damage) and accidentally discovered it's an effective treatment for chronic fatigue! Only symptomatic unfortunately, the fatigue returns if (low) dosage is not maintained. No idea of the mechanism, can't find any reference on the internet to eating cannabis being associated with stamina. But it has been working for over six months, and life is so much better!

5 answers to this question

Hey CFS,

It's great, you've found something that works for you. Unfortunately I know of others with CFS who have not had the same benefit. I too am a medi user and smoke to reduce my consumption of the pharma crap, which (again) unfortunately I still need but in lesser quantities. As for the evidence you are looking for, it may not be available. International law still classifies Cannabis as a Schedule 1 Drug, that is "Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse" from The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). Due to this the science behind cannabis has been heavily restricted, this is starting to change but now they have a lot of catch up to do. I know a good 40 odd people who receive a 'medical' benefit from canna and for differing ailments but it's all anecdotal. For example, I receive a benefit, how do 'they' (the medical fraternity) measure that. They like to put things in pretty graphs and give it a label. So they give some big pharma company permission to isolate one component of canna, and test that. Then when it doesn't have the benefit for a particular patient (Subject) they rule canna out as a treatment.

Here in Australia, Federally Canna is an illegal substance. The AMA supports this stances. I personally have found it impossible to get a Dr to publically support canna use, in any form. "You want to smoke it that's fine and I see the benefit to you, but I can't support" I was told.

The medical fraternity and I have a love/hate relationship. I love to hate them lol They make out they know it all and they don't!!! If, like me, you've found something that works, then do it. They do not have to tend to your symptoms, you do. If it works for you, then do it. Be informed, know the law (and the consequences)in your state and weigh it up. The law or your health?

IMHO anyway.

Merl1n

+1 Merl1n.

As a CFS & FM sufferer of over 20 years I should chime in on this one.

Anything you find that helps with this condition, canna or otherwise, go for it.  You'll basically get no help from the medical community, at best they have no idea, but more often than not they misunderstand it completely. 

I've tried imbibing my canna in many different ways, but none of them energise me as such, or give me stamina.  But, as Merl1n said, different people get different outcomes.  Getting away from smoking to look after your lungs is a good move.  I either vape or ingest it these days, and find that both work better for medicinal effects for me, and I tend to go for the hash off Indica dominant strains for best effect with relaxing, recovery, and pain dampening.  It may be that a full on Sativa might give me some energy and stamina, but I have to be careful of dosage with heavy duty rush inducing strains.

I also have Fibromyalgia, so muscle and joint pain is a big problem for me, along with an assortment of other unpleasant issues.  I find myself in the catch 22 position of exercise helping with many of my symptoms, but also doing damage and making some worse.  Being able to relax thoroughly, and at least tune out from the presence of the pain to some degree, helps my muscles and joints recover better, making it easier to keep pushing the physical activity the next day, doesn't make me invincible unfortunately, and I regularly push it too far. 

When I first got sick (glandular fever started it for me), I gave up canna in case it was the cause, and I was finding that when I smoked too much it seemed to make things worse.  Found it made no difference after a few months and went back to it in sensible doses.  I've stopped canna several times over the years, for up to 2 years, for various reasons, and have reached the definite conclusion that overall I have a better average state of health and better quality of life when I use it than when I don't.

As for the "fatigue" part, I've sort of learnt to deal with it I suppose, but also find that getting up and being active can help to deal with that as well.  I don't like the label "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", as it gives other people the impression that you are just a bit "tired", which as we both know is merely the tip of a shitty iceberg.

Best of luck, hope it keeps working well for you.

The problem I find is that when they don't have a definite scientific answer, they go psychological. Both CFS and FM seem to have this stigma. It seems when they can't find an exact cause, or they rule other ailments out, then it must be CFS or FM. From what I understand neither has a confirmed treatment, so there isn't a magic pill to remedy. For many dr's if they can't prescribe a concoction of some sort then they don't know, they can't say they don't know, so it must be you. It must be psychological then.

My condition is neither CFS nor FM related, but they have operated, the medical professionals have 'fixed' my problem, so there is no problem. I disagree, so I must be the problem, so again, it must be psychological. CUNTS. Then to add to this, if you are using Canna (to treat symptoms), then canna is your problem. You are addicted. Addiction is a psychological problem and around we go again. Just blame the patient, it's much easier.

Merl1n

The problem I find is that when they don't have a definite scientific answer, they go psychological. Both CFS and FM seem to have this stigma. It seems when they can't find an exact cause, or they rule other ailments out, then it must be CFS or FM. From what I understand neither has a confirmed treatment, so there isn't a magic pill to remedy. For many dr's if they can't prescribe a concoction of some sort then they don't know, they can't say they don't know, so it must be you. It must be psychological then.

My condition is neither CFS nor FM related, but they have operated, the medical professionals have 'fixed' my problem, so there is no problem. I disagree, so I must be the problem, so again, it must be psychological. *#%@^. Then to add to this, if you are using Canna (to treat symptoms), then canna is your problem. You are addicted. Addiction is a psychological problem and around we go again. Just blame the patient, it's much easier.

Merl1n

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I'd say you wouldn't believe some of the bullshit I've had to deal with from the medical community over this, but you obviously would believe me.  The 2 biggest stand outs for me were firstly that it took a doctor nearly 6 months, and a barrage of blood tests, to even figure out that I had had Glandular Fever.  But the funniest (I have to see the funny side) one was when it got to the point that my dr at the time (no longer) refused to treat me anymore unless I went to a psychiatrist.  Psych reckoned that cause the dr said depression that I had depression and needed to take anti depressants.  I'm no mental health expert, but I know that people with depression lack motivation, and feel too down on themselves to have the confidence to have a calm argument with a health professional, these being the main points of my argument.  Psych was the one to lose her rag and start getting abusive, poor woman couldn't win an argument with a supposedly depressed patient.

After my 2 year stint of no canna, I stopped telling them about my use, just to stop having to listen to the bullshit.  Not happy about it, as it's something that is potentially relevant for my med files, but why tell them something that's just going to get wrongly thrown back in your face.

And you are right, there is no confirmed treatment, they can't even do any tests to confirm diagnosis.  There are however, many quacks out there claiming to have answers and treatments, but they all be snake oil salesmen in disguise trying to take advantage of the desperate and vulnerable.