Im done searching time to ask for help

ok just spent around the last 2 hours searching and searching for someone who sells 100mm insulated ducting, ive only found two shops and over the years ive heard of both the QLD shop and a NSW ebay shop bringing people undone from this forum i wont mention there names but lets say im not buying the ducting from either of them

i found one other shop at over $50 for 3 meters plus shipping holly shit thats expensive!

now i have a dilammer, at the moment im running one of those ezi inline fans 100mm to duct my 1x1m tent with a couple 300w LED lights in there and its getting quiet warm but manageable but coming into summer i would like to get my 100mm centrifugal fan cranking but that thing is loud, ive purchased a fan speed controller but i would like the ultimate of stealth

i havent yet attached standard 100mm ducting to the centrifugal fan to see how much it quietens the fan but i was looking to use the 100mm insulated ducting as i was very impressed with a video on youtube from a australian hydroponic shop with a much larger fan, in the demonstration the noise was atlease or more than halfed if i could do that with my little fan i would be over the moon

there is 1x 100mm fan silencer being sold but at $150 each im up shit creek and no way i could afford two of those (one for either side of the fan)

so i was thinking 150mm insulated ducting is rather easy to find, should i buy the 150mm ducting and hack the inner later than clamp it to my fan or should i just run 100mm standard ducting inside of a 200-250mm insulated ducting for ultimate stealth?

i need some ideas guys and pretty fast

To quieten my system I went to the local Target and bought a cheap summer bedspread and wrapped the fan and a couple feet either side with it and secured with masking tape.

All bed linen these days has to be moderately heat resistant (house fire safety regulations ) so haven't had any trouble with fan heat, has cooled the ducting and given about 40% noise reduction.

[ As an added bonus the Superman and Spiderman pictures look cool  :)  ]

To quieten my system I went to the local Target and bought a cheap summer bedspread and wrapped the fan and a couple feet either side with it and secured with masking tape.

All bed linen these days has to be moderately heat resistant (house fire safety regulations ) so haven't had any trouble with fan heat, has cooled the ducting and given about 40% noise reduction.

[ As an added bonus the Superman and Spiderman pictures look cool  :)  ]

what a bloody great idea!!! i just looked at target and seen they have duck feather quilts, i'd imagine the duck feathers would be a great sound insulator and a single bed quilt is only $34

i think a combination of insulated ducting and the feather quilt should nail almost all the sound im going to give this a shot i will reply once ive done it and let u and others know how it goes :good:

Edited by Sixty-Eight

Go to your local air conditioner supply and service guys, it'll cost more than ebay but it's not traceable if you pay cash

I've purchased off the suspect ebay sellers with no problems, there is some conjecture about whether or not they are to blame.  Snizen was one from memory, and I have made multiple purchases off them over the last couple of years, including nutes, lights and a tent, no early morning knocks on the door except for the courier.

My attitude is that if the size/nature of the order doesn't look commercial then the chances of the coppers using the purchase to get a warrant and coming after you are pretty slim.  I would struggle to believe that a purchase of a few metres of ventilation ducting could be enough evidence to support a search warrant.

And I'm the guy with the quote "just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" in my signature below :ermm:

Edited by Sir PsychoHashy

i ran the fan today on a growlush speed controller it done nothing really it only works at around 30-35% it seemed the fan stayed at one loudness, i think the seller under estimated the db rating at only 51db my little ezi inline fan thats 100mm is rated at 51db and no way the centrifugal fan is that quiet

this being my first centrifugal fan im not really liking them also thought about the doona but it could be a fire hazard so had to rethink

i was thinking of getting the sound foam and sliding it into a 200mm ducting to run right around the radius of the ducting this should give me a 100mm hole right thru the ducting just like a commercially made silencer than just foil tape on both ends 100mm fan/filter spiggots to attach the ducting

i gotta say the centrifugal fan in loudness is up there around the loudness of 6 fans on the LED lights but without the deep woosh sound of the centrifugal fan so i cant be running that at 2-3am

Glad to hear it. (or not  :) )

I'm in the process of trying to design a box with in /out points to go over MY lights, same thing 3 on each and loudest thing in room.

Something like the sealed cooling light boxes for HID's. I mean if I gotta run extraction anyway why not use it to quieten LED's.....

Ill let you know how I go.

Actually if I can get it quiet enough, with the climate control and darkness I might build another room for the plants and move into my tent this summer..