What is this? pics need help!

zeeibi21

I'll hazard a guess that the root zone got too hot.  In a pot of that size, particularly black, and particularly if you've left it sitting on a surface that heats up and/or reflects heat back up, the root zone will get hot in full sun on milder days than that.

Hopefully no damage has been done to the root system.  You need to protect the pot from getting too hot.  Variety of ways to do this, massive pots, covering with white cardboard, some way of shading the pot without shading the plant etc.  Personally I like the idea of having a neat fitting hole in the ground to put the pot in, but everyone to their own.  You just need to remember that while soil is a great insulator, in a small pot there is a limit to this ability.  Canna can handle high temps outside during veg, if it's in the ground and properly hydrated.

Wow, looks like it dried out, eh? Did the pot completely dry out?

Cut away the dead shit and keep growing, the plant will be fine.

Could be..i watered it maybe 4-6 days ago i cant really remember to be honest.

Gave her a haircut and flushed wish few L of water then gave it some seasol 1/2 strength

I'll hazard a guess that the root zone got too hot.  In a pot of that size, particularly black, and particularly if you've left it sitting on a surface that heats up and/or reflects heat back up, the root zone will get hot in full sun on milder days than that.

Hopefully no damage has been done to the root system.  You need to protect the pot from getting too hot.  Variety of ways to do this, massive pots, covering with white cardboard, some way of shading the pot without shading the plant etc.  Personally I like the idea of having a neat fitting hole in the ground to put the pot in, but everyone to their own.  You just need to remember that while soil is a great insulator, in a small pot there is a limit to this ability.  Canna can handle high temps outside during veg, if it's in the ground and properly hydrated.

Hmm i cant have holes in the ground coz its concreted area...might try the cardboard idea. 

What would u recommend for covering up the surface of the soil with? should i even do that? 

Hey Zee,

Heat management is always a problem this time of year, hence why many indoor growers just don't grow in summer. The upper of the plant doesn't look too bad, the plant will naturally sacrifice the bottom leaves as the moisture and nutes are withdrawn to protect the upper. In flower the whole underneath of my plants dries out and eventually turns brown and dies. Some people will say "...they need full sun..." as you are finding out, not always so. Sir PsychoHashy is very correct about the size of your pot, being small it doesn't take long for the pot, medium and roots to get real warm real quick and again I'd have to agree with him in that burying the pots will assist in insulting them from the intense heat.

But those tops are still looking OK, so the plant hasn't died, yet. But if you know you are not going to be around, then move them before you go. Place them under a tree or somewhere they will get mottled (filtered) light and not the direct blaring sun.

Merl1n

Prob should start by putting mulch over the soil surface.  Get it off concrete surfaces, massive heatsink, even if it's just putting it up on something like a table that will also shade the concrete underneath a bit.  Macgyver something up to shade the pot, but not the plant.  Monster pot might be the go, also let her spread her roots more and grow bigger.

Sydney heatwaves can be severe, but at least they don't hang around consistently through summer like they do inland.  More likely to lose plants to storm damage going on some of the summer storms I've been caught in down there

Thanks for all the tips guys appreciate it! - Didnt want to over-water >.< guess it really is a fine line :/

its a 20L bucket so it isnt that small i didnt think, guess i was wrong haha

I did some macgyering and put a few blocks of wood under them inside a drip tray and will leave in the shade next time im off for a day or more. 

Would perlite on the top layer be a good idea? stuffs fairly cheap

what about a piece of shade cloth, cut a slit into the centre and cut a small hole in the centre. then just slide it around the stem and hang the rest over the edges of the pot. you don't want to be putting them in the shade yet or you will bring on the buds. leave them in full sun to get maximum growth before they go to flower. the shade cloth will help keep the moisture in, like mulch