Tony Abbot backs legalisation for medicinal cannabis

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has thrown his support behind the legalisation of cannabis for medical purposes.

In a letter to talkback radio host Alan Jones, Mr Abbott went even further than NSW Premier Mike Baird – who has approved a clinical trial of the use of medical cannabis – by saying that no further testing should be needed on the drug if it is legal in similar jurisdictions.

http://m.watoday.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-backs-legalisation-of-medical-cannabis-20140917-10i6eb.html

• Upvote 3

I didn't think he would back it, I am surprised. He is staunch catholic, but I read somewhere that it states clearly in the Bible that god put all the plants and animals on the earth for us. I got no idea if that true or not. I only go to church for weddings and funerals, even that makes me uncomfortable. 

There is a lot of momentum behind this change, every day another various State MPs from across Australia are talking about it. Just need to maintain the momentum once the terminally ill are legalized  and retain the right to  grow your own, not big Pharma products.

The costs to PBS and budget drain may help the politicians decide to lets us grow at home. But then they would want to Tax it some how, but if I was offered a license/ medical card ( like mullaways suggestion at the NSW committee) with a annual fee of say $10 - $250, I'd be fine with that, I use to spend way more than that on scripts. 

The government gets some money, big pharma out of the equation and I would be safe from prosecution for personal use. Then I can get off or at least reduce my opioid pain management, more savings for PBS.

• Upvote 1