Basic help please

Cantgrow

Have had really bad outdoor grows the last two years.

Could I please get some credible basic instructions in the following issues:

Looking to grow outdoors, get a yield of 3-4 oz, with seeds from a bank.

1. Best seed bank

2. Best type of seed to grow easily

3. Soil mixture

4. Pot size

5. Fertilisers if any and when to apply

Thanks in advance. Can't deal with another failure year.

Hi, There is a huge amount of information on here, just search and read.

There is no best this or that. But I looked at you other post about wanting Aussie seeds.  Go to Southern Star Seeds, there in Australia, but purchased here 

http://www.cannabisseedsforsale.com/shopcategory.aspx?Cat=Southern%20Star%20Seeds

Have a special on to this month.

The rest of your question are very subjective and will need some research from you. Things like your location, climate and how much love you can give them.

Good luck

1. Best seed bank

Sounds like any of the reputable ones are much the same, Herbies and Bonza have served many people well.

Probably better off with hybrids than pure indica or sativas, bit like mongrel dogs being less prone to problems than purebreds.  Might be worth looking at indica dominant hybrids for shorter flowering times, unless you are in the tropics.

3. Soil mixture

You'll need someone who knows.  I don't understand that stuff, so I use a mix of coco, perlite, worm castings, and searles premium potting mix, and feed hydro nutes every few waterings, but a good organic soil mix would be much better.  Stay away from cheap potting mixes, and even the good ones need amendments.

4. Pot size

Bigger the better for a full outdoor season.  A good idea to bury the pot to help keep the rootzone temps down.

5. Fertilisers if any and when to apply

Yet again you'll need someone who knows, that's why I use hydro nutes.  You do need to watch your plants and try and understand their changing needs throughout the grow though.

Try to stick to the basics, hydration, fresh air, good light, and basic nutrition, in a light well draining soil mix, and enjoy the grow while nature does what she does best.  She's a tough plant and too much love can often do her more damage than not enough.

• Upvote 1

I did a real basic coco out door grow last summer

Coco blocks ex bunnings/ 75c buckets from the reject shop with holes drilled for drainage, and Miracle gro bloom which i also got from bunnings

I scoop of MG powder into a bucket of water and watered every day , with 20%ish run off,  and when they got big and it was hot I watered morning and night with nutes every time

also upped the nute concentration as they started to go into full flower mode

worked out excellent 

cheers

1. Best seed bank

Probably better off with hybrids than pure indica or sativas, bit like mongrel dogs being less prone to problems than purebreds.  Might be worth looking at indica dominant hybrids for shorter flowering times, unless you are in the tropics.

That's a good way to explain it.

I did a real basic coco out door grow last summer

Coco blocks ex bunnings/ 75c buckets from the reject shop with holes drilled for drainage, and Miracle gro bloom which i also got from bunnings

I scoop of MG powder into a bucket of water and watered every day , with 20%ish run off, and when they got big and it was hot I watered morning and night with nutes every time

also upped the nute concentration as they started to go into full flower mode

worked out excellent

cheers

Coco blocks?

I'll look for them.

No other soil needed?

easiest way for novice to start is........ go to any garden shop buy pack of jiffy pots to start seed in , buy decent quality potting mix and some slow release fertiliser.

no need for specialized nutrients, cannabis is just as easy to grow as a tomato, cabbage, corn, gum tree etc. after starting seed in jiffy pots I recommend cutting mesh bag off it before planting into good quality potting mix, gives roots easier chance of spreading. after about 4 weeks in good potting mix add slow release ferts, (tomato ferts work fantastic.) you can grow the new technical 21st century method or ya can try the method that has worked for about 100 million years.

I plant seeds in small starter pots, when big enough (about 2 weeks old) I plant into ground in vegie patch and feed seasol once every 3 or 4 weeks, I never needed anything more.

good luck however way ya do it.

obviously seeds needed, try one of the banks from the seed bank guide. good soil, best dig a hole first then back fill with your good soil, mix in slow release ferts like the ones for tomatoes, bit of coco mixed in too to retain moisture for longer( this all done while u wait for seeds and/or cuttings) when seeds arrive either grow str8 from seed into your holes or the better  option grow a few seeds out a bit by hydro and sex them out first, take cuttings and clone them then choose 1 clone from each plant and turn them to flower, get rid of the males(unless u want seeds or seedy bud) then plant the rest of your girls, tend to them regularly, let them dry out a bit between waterings they will love it. the beauty of doing this way like hydro all of your effort is going to turn into buds, not balls!! oh yeah some varieties can yield a pound or 2 grown well outside. don't plant in patches if your out in the wild(less chance they b seen from above) don't leave rubbish on the trail in,take everything out that u bring in.  don't tell any body that you are doing it, loose lips sink ships!!   plant for outdoor from sept thru to dec/jan depending on strain and flowering time outdoor and harvest round april/may good luck, read heaps in here dude that's what this place is all about, have a go if it don't work try another way, its a weed man cant b too hard.

Hi Cantgrow I hear the misery of a failed crop( I know from my own experience) but I was wondering if you know why they failed and at what stage did things go pear shaped?.

If you know why you had bad crops you may not have to change everything. My reasoning being if you don't know what went wrong last season how will you avoid that issue this time? You can have the best seed, soil, pots and nutes...but if you, for example, have a tendency to over feed/water/prune/sun starve...etc etc etc then you will have the same issue this season as last.

Seedbanks: I have used Bonza with no issue

Best Seed : I'd go with what Sir Psychohashy said

Soil: I use a premium potting mix with additions of Dolomite and Perlite  in a 30- 40L Pot

Nutes: I have been using Canna Vega and Canna Flores but way cheaper and seems pretty good for vege is Miracle Grow  General Purpose, follow the instructions and you won't burn your plants

Have you considered a grow diary, the input I have received via mine has saved me a whole heap of grief plus great support and information. Good luck I hope you can get it happening...