Lebanon cannabis trade thrives in shadow of Syrian war

'Crumbly'? Only crumbly blond/gold hash I've seen was the poor imitation in the 80's.

The really good Leb blond/gold hash was always very soft , known as putty hash.

Never saw crumbly blond hash in the 70's, I wonder if yours was of Lebanese origin?

And your right brick, if it's A1 hash only a very small piece is needed.

I've always wondered what the THC levels are in good commercial hash from the old world.

It was sold to us as Leb hash. It was very soft, crumbled in your fingers, had not been pressed. I believe it was the real deal. Compared to the black we got from Pakistan (mate was a dealer, we also bought off a guy whose father was a head honcho at Russell St Police HQ so always a steady supply, until they started anti corruption) the gold was the best, but it was a rarity.

I think the 80's stuff was made in Aus but oil was more abvailable back then so we bought that. The hash was/is good from Lebanon because they used the whole plant to make it unlike what most do these days and just use the left overs.

I was in Uk for 3 years in the late 70's early 80's leb blonde and red leb was easily available and is still one of my all time favs for smell and taste, also zero zero from marroco was very piney and very sativa type high, better than lebanese sometimes but very rare. Those were the days. But I prefere growing bud now, more choices and flavours.

Plus the leb had gee in it nearly all the time, if you made oil out of it, you could see a white milky layer above the brown dust in the jar when it settled god knows what it did to my lungs.

Tangwena

• Upvote 1

It was sold to us as Leb hash. It was very soft, crumbled in your fingers, had not been pressed. I believe it was the real deal. Compared to the black we got from Pakistan (mate was a dealer, we also bought off a guy whose father was a head honcho at Russell St Police HQ so always a steady supply, until they started anti corruption) the gold was the best, but it was a rarity.

I think the 80's stuff was made in Aus but oil was more abvailable back then so we bought that. The hash was/is good from Lebanon because they used the whole plant to make it unlike what most do these days and just use the left overs.

I guess we had the same thing made with a different process. Unpressed sounds like it's from the 'private collection' I can only guess. I've only ever heard of the Lebs making the blond or gold hash, apart from the texture it sounds like we had the same thing. Special beyond compare :)  So thanks for the confirmation, everyone I ever shared with said the same.

tangwena, the RED! Your the 1st one who also remembers the red putty. I was never sure of the country of origin, I only saw it once & bought an oz. [When I went back the next day to buy 2 more it was sold out.] I should've guessed it was Lebanese because it was the same creamy smooth putty just like the blond/gold hash.  Although it had a different high to the blond/gold, it was every bit as good. The high from these 3 was so different from dark hash that I thought the same, do the Lebs use a Sativa dom strain?  At a guess I'd say they do. Remember how it didn't couchlock until near the end of a very long high?

With all of these Lebs living in Aus these days, you'd think some of them would make themselves useful & organise a steady supply for us Skips :)

Russell St? Cops always have the best connections. The main distributors of Buddha sticks in Sydney for over a decade were the 21 Division, never a more corrupt or violent pack of knuckle scraping thugs to serve as NSW constabulary.

Edited by hashwizard
  • Upvote 2

I guess we had the same thing made with a different process. Unpressed sounds like it's from the 'private collection' I can only guess. I've only ever heard of the Lebs making the blond or gold hash, apart from the texture it sounds like we had the same thing. Special beyond compare :)  So thanks for the confirmation, everyone I ever shared with said the same.

Hey HW, I don't know if you know much about the making of hash, but the most likely reason for the difference was of course which batch/crop it was (different ratios of male vs female plants, different ratio of specific strains of plant, picked at a different time of year, from a different field, by a different farmer, stored in a different shed, dried for a different time, beaten through a different mesh screen etc).

The other thing that varies is that when they make the hash, they put it over a screen that is like a bit of mesh, and beat the hell out of it with sticks. The trichomes/pollen etc all fall through the screen and are collected as pure hash, then squashed into a brick for easy storage/transport/doesnt get blown away by wind. Anyway what happens is that when you first start beating the plants, the small particles and bits ready to fall off fall through the screen first. This is the highest quality hash. Since the parts of the plant are different, teh chemicals/cannabinoids are different, and so you get a different high. Then, that is all collected, the hash beating apparatus is cleaned a bit, and they keep beating the crap out of the plants - then the second grade falls through the screen and is collected, then the thrid, and then they throw the used up plants away and start again with fresh plants. Apparently locals and hash growers mainly smoke 3rd grade, because the cash is too sweet to pass up with the first grade.

So depending on the factors above, every bit of hash is a tiny bit different, which would explain the difference for you. (I like youtube...can you tell? :P)

Yeah that's what I meant by 'private' stash, the cream :)

I've heard of a few different traditional methods for making hash from mates who did the backpack through feral land thing. No-doubt some methods & strains of plant are a closely guarded family or village secret.

And off course the rich get the best, they're willing to pay for it.  What would an oz of hash be worth today? I wouldn't be interested in buying black/brown hash because I reckon my Hbo hash compares.

I went to UK from Malawi in Africa so as much as I liked the smell and taste of hash I never thought the high was that great compared to the cobs we used to buy. A bit like having a beer compared to a spirit, the high was more stoney and not my thing but the smell and taste were unreal, and I loved it for that. The oil was a lot better high though.

But again no match in my opinion for the oil we made from cobs of Malawi ect.

Yeah that's what I meant by 'private' stash, the cream :)

I've heard of a few different traditional methods for making hash from mates who did the backpack through feral land thing. No-doubt some methods & strains of plant are a closely guarded family or village secret.

And off course the rich get the best, they're willing to pay for it.  What would an oz of hash be worth today? I wouldn't be interested in buying black/brown hash because I reckon my Hbo hash compares.

We were paying $120/oz for the Paki hash. We could only get $25 deals of the gold which were not that big. Average wages for a tradie in my line of work in the 70's was about $60 per week. Oz of Griffith grass was $30 Genuine Bhuda sticks $15 for a 12 inch stick.Oil $50 per OO cap. So today we pay (last time I bought any was 2008)$350 oz So I reckon an oz of good hash would be around the 1000-1500$ mark.

We were paying $120/oz for the Paki hash. We could only get $25 deals of the gold which were not that big. Average wages for a tradie in my line of work in the 70's was about $60 per week. Oz of Griffith grass was $30 Genuine Bhuda sticks $15 for a 12 inch stick.Oil $50 per OO cap. So today we pay (last time I bought any was 2008)$350 oz So I reckon an oz of good hash would be around the 1000-1500$ mark.

Memories....haha. The very 1st oz of hash I bought was $120. We'd heard $80 was the going rate at the time & when we complained this 'old' hippy said "Boys, it aint the 60's. If you don't like the price your gonna be real unhappy soon. It'll be $250 an oz before too long." He wasn't far off. The price settled at around $280-$320 not long after & stayed at that price for years.

Double O cap? Now that takes me back. I never had a bad cap of oil. The missus at the time wasn't much of a smoker but she never said no to hash oil, I just loved the mood it put her in :)

Buddha sticks [10"-12" & as fat as your thumb] were $10 each but by the 80's it was $20-$25 a stick.

Weren't wages crap back then? The only union worth their monthly dues were the BLF & BWIU bless their dark little hearts :)  As a 17yo I went from $60 a week as a storeman, to $168 a week [in the hand] as a brickies labourer. [in 1978 a fully qualified mechanic earned around $135 a week, in the hand]

The Paki black hash - was that the 'gold stamp' brand?

There was a batch going around in the late 70's that was full of specks of white powder. We were told it was 'opiated hash'. [when cutting up the ounce, you'd occasionally find little pockets of white powder] It took us a little while to realise that opium is usually a dark brown colour & that the 'opium' could only be one thing, heroin.

2008?  Imported hash? I haven't heard of os hash in any quantity since around the early 1990's. 

$1,000-$1500? Bit rich for my blood :)  Interestingly, the last time I had a choice between A1 buds or hash I bought an oz of both [late 80's], the hash was only $20 an oz dearer than the bud [bud $300oz].

Weren't wages crap back then? The only union worth their monthly dues were the BLF & BWIU bless their dark little hearts :)  As a 17yo I went from $60 a week as a storeman, to $168 a week [in the hand] as a brickies labourer. [in 1978 a fully qualified mechanic earned around $135 a week, in the hand]

Mate don't complain about wages, you're lucky you weren't born in the 80s. At least in the 70s you could buy a house for 3 years wages. Today a house costs 9 years wages. If you live with your missus today, you'd both be working just to pay a mortgage. Back then if you and your missus worked, one wage would go to the house/living, and the other would go to that hash you're talking about.

There was a batch going around in the late 70's that was full of specks of white powder. We were told it was 'opiated hash'. [when cutting up the ounce, you'd occasionally find little pockets of white powder] It took us a little while to realise that opium is usually a dark brown colour & that the 'opium' could only be one thing, heroin.

:clapping: I love a good story as much as the next smoker, but matey  :acute:  that is so totally roflworthy I just have to break out the emotes :rofl:  lol :rofl:  lol :rofl:

Bongon people and stay away from them nasty 'white flecks' :bongon:

Fyi Hashwizard heroin isn't white either.

Edited by louise