Mixing your own

Guest Wilderbud

Guest Wilderbud

I found a good resource which describes how to make your own organic potting mix and the properties of each type of medium. I had to post the link before reading it because the link to the page claimed peat/compost is a great mix and I love these two mediums. Heres the link;

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/potmix.html :P

One day Ill be able to say why I like peat and compost mix [with some blood and bone] but for now I just know it does some magic . :)

I got the link [below] after reading about disease suppresant potting mix - thanks to Luke 'the Force' Skywalker for pointing this out to me as I never would have known why I like to mix peat in with things. :P

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/dspotmix.html

Itd be nice to have this info on our FAQ for outdoor growing - ATTRA seems to have some good information and Ill keep reading over time.

Guest Wilderbud

Hehe, you didnt say it to me but you said something about disease suppressant soil to stop damping off and I looked on the Internet to see what you were talking about - seems this is why I like peat/compost [good anti-disease medium] - I usually had damping off/rot problems when using plain old soil. :P

I also learnt something else about peat which has probably helped me without me knowing why - it is an acidic soil and that probably evens out my alkaline tap water to about 5-6 PH.

I read a lot about gardening but it doesnt all sink in and Ive never read about damping off or peat so kudos for giving me something to learn yesterday. ;)