Trip to Bunnings

went to Bunnings today and saw those 48Watt bulbs that Wilderbud has been talking about. They come in a box. They were Nelson Electrics from memory. But at twenty something dollars each I though the 28watt ones for $11 were better value. Once you start paying over $20 plus the added cost of the socket for each compact fluoro you may as well get a small HID IMO.

Anyway saw several neat looking wall vent extraction fan units and inline fan units with ducting and louvred vents on each end. There were HPM ones and another brand. The inline fans looked like the centrifugal ones they have in the hydro shops but I couldn't be sure. Anyway they looked nice and perfect to wack in a growbox. Bit expensive though, the HPM units with 150mm inline fan, ducting and wall vents at both ends was two hundred and something dollars, but could be worth it IMO.

Guest Wilderbud

Yeah, theyre Nelson Lamps and $23. :rolleyes:

Im not as happy with the light as I thought I would be but if 6x38W strip flouros grew my current plant slowly then 2x48W and 3x48W CFs should be OK for a clone and mother chamber. Its true that buying 6 of these CFs would cost as much as a good HID but you dont need an HID to clone plants or grow mother plants slowly.

I seen an HPM fan worth > $100 there but it only had pics of ducting [it wasnt included in this box] - the fan was 150mm though and I liked it also. Im thinking of replacing my current $25 Ring Grip [the small one - 200mm I think] extractor fan for something that works soon - heh. I noticed the fan I have now has an unbalanced motor so it shakes the whole cupboard and that couldnt be good for plants. B)

hey Wilderbud, my ringgrips have always been whisper quiet. Only problem I had is the plastic clips you use to mount them sometimes come a bit loose and the fan blades start to clip them making a horrible rattling sound, it took me days to work out what the problem was as its hard to notice exactly whats causing it. I only discovered it by turning the fan off and turning the blades with my hand and bingo, discovered they were touching one of the clips. They just need readjustment/tightening and they'll be whisper quiet again. Don't know if this is your problem, but thought I'd mention it in case...

Guest Wilderbud

My problem with it is if I put my head against the cupboard everything is shaking so its unbalanced. :rolleyes:

I also dont think its exhausting enough air although it could be because my passive intake holes are small [when I close the cupboard the fan slows down a bit]? The outside of my cupboard is cooler than the inside by 10 degrees during the day when the lights are off and is the same heat during the night when the lights are on.

I think I've said this before, but the ringgrip $15 exhaust fans are crap. They aren't rated for continuous use, and they aren't anywhere near the extraction rates you need.... I know that pipeman is going to chime in here and say that he and others have grown well with em, and that may be true, but you'll grow much better and safer with a more expensive continuous rated fan.

I just put on layby a $120 fan, (most hydro shops should do this for ya, if they don't they don't want your business. I'm on a pension so I have to do things the long way... :rolleyes:) 250mm but continous rated and puts out a shiteload more air than the equivalent cheapo 250mm... And it's not an inline or centrifugal... I'll see if I can get the brandname for ya, seems like this could be a good buy for the avg grower... This particular shop has a wall setup so you can compare the extraction power and sizes of all the fans they offer, as well as the cheapo ringgrips and other smaller fans... Put my hand behing the ringgrip 250mm, and a slight breeze... this fan and my hand was freezing it's nails off... hee hee... they also have centrifugals and inlines which are able to put out a lot more air... but are quite expensive comparitively... although you may need a centrifugal fan of some strength if using a carbon filter.

I get by with my 125mm computer style fan in winter and cooler months, avg temps are in the high 20's... but summer it just won't cut it... I have an aircon but it'd cost a fortune to keep the place cool enough to make growing practical with the present fan, so I'm investing in a better fan....

Ventilation is one of the 5 main environmental factors you have to control well to grow decent weed. Air, (ventilation), temp, water, lighting and food. Keep all of these things in the ranges you need, and you'll be growing yourself primo buds quite easily. The plant will do the rest. B)

On the cfs... I've got the 28w daylight one, as I can't get the 48w version at my local bunnings... (its a normal one, not a warehouse store, so it doesn't carry their full range) I'm presently using this for my clones, and I think it's a worthwhile investment... A lot smaller and a lot easier to install than the equivalent tube... And yeah, at $12 it's damn cheap... I wonder if they have a similar life span to lower wattages... anyone know if wattage affects the life of the globe?

I also think these flouros could make some excellent supplimentary lights... I imagine they could be used well as a sole light source, but really you just woulnd't end up with the same results as a hid... As a supplimentary to a hid tho... lighting undercanopy areas and darkspots in the canopy where the light isn't quite penetrating or reaching well enough... it could be a cheap answer to the perennial, "geez, a lightmover costs a lot but I couldn't afford to put in another hid..." A couple of these babys on the edges and in the spots of lesser efficiency could bring up the lumens enough to make a difference to the yeilds... Although they would have to be fairly close... I think I'll investigate this possibility with my next grow... B)

hey Luke, my Ringgrips have served me well, have grown many great plants, and one day will burn my house down and make me a fortune in insirance money, so I won't have you saying anything bad about them!

Also, are you seriously saying that all a plant needs is Air, (ventilation), temp, water, lighting and food? Holy crap! Are you sure?

:rolleyes:

hee hee, just make sure you aren't underinsured for electrical faults... :B):

And yeah, you'd be surprised how many people tell me you need this or that or whatever uber-product to grow good pot.... :rolleyes: stick to the basics I say, and you're sure to do well...

Every time a friend brings up a strange myth about growing cannabis I shut up, say, "excuse me for a sec", walk to the bathroom and laugh my guts out for a few minutes, compose myself, and return to the conversation saying... "Really? B) wow...."

:;):