There is 2 "species" of cannabis commonly smoked by humans, indicas and sativas. Most of the cannabis smoked today is a hybrid of the two, but before the western pot culture took off, different strains of cannabis we're seperated due to geographic segregation.

Indicas are the most common in todays cannabis strains, due to the fact indicas are shorter, take less time to flower, and produce denser buds, which makes them alot easier to grow and profit off for indoor growing. Indicas mainly come from the Hindu Kush valleys in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but also from the himalayas and other areas. They are bred for making hashish, so seeds are selected from females with the most resin glands. Indicas usually have a narcotic, sleepy, drowsy, overpowering stone. They give you the couchlock effect, and the munchies. Real strong indicas make you talk in a stupor and just turn into a red eyed giggling sloth. The buds are more leafy than sativas but the smaller leaves are covered in alot of resin glands. Characteristics common to indicas are wide dark green leaves, short bushy growth and shrub like appearance, finish in 7 to 10 weeks indoors. and stretch less than sativas at the onset of flowering. Outdoors they are more susceptible to mould than most sativas due to the tight bud structure. They grow to about 9ft max outdoors. Some common indicas around the place are, Afghani, Hindu Kush, Northern Lights, Blueberry, G13, Hash Plant, Shiva, Citral, Black Domina , etc....

Sativas are much larger plants, before the 70's all the cannabis grown and smoked in Australia was sativa, due to the fact indica only came over as hashish, so no seeds we're available. Most of the "bush" bud grown today is still sativa, cos sativas grow alot bigger outdoors and yield alot more than indicas and also cos people like em. The main sativa areas are Mexico and South America, South East Asia, India and South Africa. Alot of Countries closer to aus produced some great sativas that old hippies in Nimbin love to tell stories about, Sumatran Gold and New Guinea Gold and such. There was even a wild crop of sativas that grew in Aus for nearly 200years originating from indian seeds brought over with the first fleet. Anyhoo... sativas have thinner leaves and grow alot taller and less bushy, the buds are alot longer than indicas and tend to be less leafy, but they are thinner and more airy. Sativas have a clearer kind of high, more active, chatty buds that might make you find everything terribly interesting, some sativas can make some people paranoid. Very strong sativas make your heart race and you sweat and shit, thats pretty rare though. Sativas grow to like 30ft max, crazy amount, they stretch alot during flowering and take alot longer to finish, some up to 16weeks, which makes them less suitable for indoor growing, but outdoors there large size make em the go. Some common Sativas are, Haze, Durban Poison, Mullumbimby Madness, Thai, Vietnam Black etc....

Another variety Cannabis Ruderalis comes from eastern Europe, it isn't smoked by anyone but it flowers regardless of the daylength so the dutch have tried to use it to make early maturing hybrids for growing outdoors in Holland.

Almost all the cannabis strains of today come from a few imports from the US that came to holland in the 80's, Skunk, Haze, Northern Lights & Afghani #1.

Skunk #1 is a 75% sativa hybrid, the lineage is (Colombian x Afghan) x Mexican, its probably the most common component in all strains these days, not so common anymore. Skunk #1 grows and looks fairly indica dominant but has a nice clear social kind of high, it has a sweet but kinda skunky smell and grows excellently indoors or out, I've grown 2 different 100% skunk lines, Sensi seed banks and The Flying Dutchmens, The sensi seeds skunk was sweeter and hairier more solid buds, better appearance, but the Flying Dutchmen line was less hairy, less leafy, and larger yield, but both are excellent. very similar in high and taste. Doesnt really compete with most of todays buds in potency but it is real good daytime bud.

Original Haze is 100% sativa, original-original haze was bred in California in the 70's from different selected Mexican and Colombian cannabis. This haze was then crossed with South Indian and Thai plants to make the original haze known today. Haze is an extremely potent plant but very few grow it pure because it takes up to 16weeks to flower and is too tall and unmanagable to be grown indoors the yield is also poor indoors with long stringy buds. But 50% hybrids of haze are amazing nonetheless and usually finish within 10-12 weeks. I've grown a fair few of em. The most notable being Jack Herer, an excellent 50% haze from Sensi Seeds, its really AAA pot. But yield is low and pain to grow. Super Haze from Dutch Passion is a good haze hybrid, its a cross between haze and skunk#1. Has a great yield compared to Jack. Its a cheapy too and a good taste of haze genetics. Haze hybrids have a nice spicy kinda tropical smell about em and a spicy smoke. Make some people paranoid, definately me. Hazes are great outdoors in Aus.

Northern Lights is a few pure indica clones from the US that had a bit of sativa added before making seeds, not much though, eg. NL#5 = 12.5% thai. Its real good bud to smoke as a young bloke it was the shit everyone always talked about. real heavily frosted tight buds. It was bred to be grown indoors in a Sea of Green style and when grown that way it yields quite well, I'm not very experienced growing Northern Lights, All I've grown was Oasis (NL#2) from Dutch Passion, I didnt like it, But it was probably something to do with crop failure. I had a lovely NL x Afghani clone I got off a friend though. On thing NL is popular for is its lack of smell while flowering.

Afghani #1 is a pure indica landrace from Afghanistan via California, grows wide dark green leaves and tight bud structure and fairly hairy buds. Fairly leafy as well. Do well indoors or out. I like afghani, they smell like resin, quite strong traditional "skunky" pot smell (but not like skunk#1 which is alot sweeter smelling), hashy type smell and taste, the smoke is expansive in your lungs and very demotivational. My missus hates it, wont smoke any pot like this, but I like it. I've grown the sensi seeds Afghani #1.

Some newer strains that are in alot of hybrids are White Widow, Blueberry, Bubblegum, AK47.

White Widow is one of my fave strains, thats why I named myself white_cluster its a frosty hybrid that is supposedbly 60% sativa, but to me the high is very indica. It has amazing amounts of frost all over the leaves an on the stems and it looks white when you have an ounce in a bag from 2 metres away. Its pretty easy to grow but doesn't yield particularily well compared to most indoor strains. It smell and taste are soft but its kinda like flowers or scented soaps or something. Good strong solid stuporing high. Original comes from Greenhouse Seed co. Great White Shark is a hybrid of white widow and super skunk (SS is afghani x skunk) which has a great yield and is even frostier than the widow.

Blueberry I never grown pure, but I smoked it, everyone has smoked it, if you smoke buds that smell like blueberries its probably got blueberry in it. Blueberry is mostly indica plant bred in Canada sold in holland by Dutch Passion. I've grown a few hybrids of blueberry and a related strain flo which is mostly sativa and excellent. The most notable blueberry hybrid I grown was Romberry from BCGA seeds in Canada a cross of romulan (my fave tasting strain, smells really candied and herby and musty) and blueberry, the blueberry taste really comes through alot. The best thing about blueberry is it really does smell alot like blueberries, quite harsh on the throat.

Bubblegum is another fave strain, comes from serious seeds. Its an mostly indica hybrid with a good yield and an excellent taste, it doesnt really smell like bubblegum (I think it does but everyone else tells me it doesn't) but its really sweet and smells and tastes really sweet. Good high thats quite happy and giggly, good for sad folk. Someone here once reffered to it as "girls pot" I think thats a pretty good description, its pretty strong but very sweet and lovey dovey.

AK47 is real popular with the kids these days, I dont like it to me its kinda like white widow but with less personality, I only grew 2 females from seed and mine didn't yield that well but most pic's I see do. soft non distinctive smell, and strong non distinctive high.

Anyhoo, I could blabber on all day about what strains I grown, but thats not much help cos I only grown like 60 strains. and there is probably over a couple of 1000 of different strains out there. These couple of strains are ones that are probably in most of those other 1000's of strains out there. I know some other members here have grown over 100 different strains.

When buying seeds you should probably try to go for the original creator of that strain, depends what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay, but some companies such as Nirvana, White Label, Black Label, sell cheaper versions of the original strains, some of the strains are made with seeds from the original compaines which will give less stable often unpredictable results. Some people love the ripoff seeds because of their cheaper price, I kinda think you get what you pay for. Avoid the All-Female seeds, I've heard too many reports of hermies in them, and they cost to much.

Its hard to stop buying seeds once you start. anyways Im quite stoned and tired right now.

Hey there aussieinvader, if you check out the "StrainBase" in UK420 forums (hope that's okay to link to... :wacko: ) you should be able to download a pdf of most strains from there... A great read that, talks about strains and breeding, who did what to where... and so on... anyway, here's a link to make it easy for ya... Strain Base

Hope that helps. Great post by the way WC. :D

p.s. you have to change the settings to show posts on that link from the beginning, it wont show up if set to 30 days and newer... sorry about that... not sure how to change it here.. ;)

Edited by Luke Skywalker

Guest bacchus
WC if have the time in the future Id really like to read about the strains ya have grown...

me too WC....we might not agree on some stuff, but you are one of the most knowledgable folks on here and you cut to the chase with what you know....thanks for the post WC...a good read for me and i know people that are new to growing will appreciate it too

good stuff :wacko:

bacchus

Yeah well done WC, is good of ya to donate the time to do :wacko:

you have given all a good insight to the basics and the strains you have described are some of the building blocks used by breeders still today.

I'm sure now ya have started a lot of others into the thought of trying some of the different strains and hybrids available.