General Blood Tests

boe~pimp

Question

i've been thinking about general bloodtests (other than for lawfull purposes or work related/drug tests) like general checkups etc and was wondering if not only cannabis but other drugs show up in these or are drugs something they have to specifically test for ? and if illicit drugs do show up in your bloodstream is your gp bound by law to maintain doctor/patient confidentiality or report it to the authorities?

is your gp bound by law to maintain doctor/patient confidentiality

Yes, there are two people you should always be honest with, your doctor and your lawyer, lying to either can really drop you in it.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

yeah boe I know for a fact that Doctors will not report you for doing drugs. Well, there's no telling what some asshole Doctor would do, but in general they don't and are certinaly under no legal or police pressure to act this way, even if you are brought to a hospital with an overdose.

I don't know whether or not they pick up drugs in routine blood tests. I have some Doctors in my family but won't ask them, they may get a suspiscion that something is up. :D

Guest Urbanhog

When I got back from Asia, I had a liver/kidney infection... from too much piss and other stuff and not drinking enough water, since beers were in almost similar prices as bottled water in some parts of Asia, and I was just you typical Aussie Yobbo Tourist and just drank way too much grog in period of 3-4 months, and few other things :D ....had a blood test and the doctor found traces of few things, and he asked me how often, was I regular, etc etc because if you be completely honest they might end up helping you finding out problems if you are feeling like shit, etc etc or in pain, etc and the doctor didnt react or act strangely, he just nodded and went off to his job and gave me fuckloads of medications and I had to stay mj, grog and drug free for almost 2 months, and it was the hardest thing I have ever done, to stay sober for 2 months straight. But I was glad I done it, it helped me to heal my over-worked kidneys and liver :D

Otherwise, if the doctor reported to the LEO's or whatever you have the right to sue the doctor for failing to maintain doctor/patient confidentiality. The only time the doctors are forced and allowed by law to report the LEO's is if they feel if there's going to be some danger or some life's is in risk.

Boe-Pimp, there's nothing for you to worry about, but the only time you probably could get in trouble is if you were involved in a car crash or whatever, the police and the court can request urine/blood tests, from at the time of the crash or whatever, but they cannot allowed by law to look at the past doctor's medicial reports, its very very difficult for the police to get court order to get access to your private medicial reports.

Like Tom said, just be blunt honest to your doctor, and if the doctor is treating you like a shit, find a other one.

Urbanhog :D

yer these roadside saliva tests are a bit of a worry, but theres nothing you can really do about it, it's like drink driving, it's obviously safer from a governmental point of view, also like drink driving... it's a risk, driving is a privallige and there are rules to follow in order to keep it. follow the rules and you'll keep it, or run the risk & risk loosing it. personal preference... though if you get pulled over now and you look bent off your face it's not going to do you any good. like drink driving, they usually only test on suspiscion or in the event of an accident (bah rbt's... will we have rct's ?) , so keep your clear eyes in the car and you have as much chance of getting caught than before these tests were introduced i think.

yeah but the thing about these saliva tests is that they detect use up to 24 hours after. So you can have a smoke one night, go for a drive totally straight the next morning and get busted and lose your liscence.

I don't know how stoners who rely on their cars for their jobs or whatever will cope with this.

Guest GrowMad
yeah but the thing about these saliva tests is that they detect use up to 24 hours after. So you can have a smoke one night, go for a drive totally straight the next morning and get busted and lose your liscence.

The same applies for breath testing for alcohol too... alcohol breaks down at 0.01% per hour in the average man. So if your reading .2 at midnight, you will definately lose your license the next morning if you went for a drive...

It's a tricky one.. But if they can do it with alcohol, I'm sure they'll try with MJ...

i was going to come back to this and make another post but growmad covered what i was going to say perfectly. as i said your licence is a privilege and if you rely on your car to get you to work then play it safe if you don't want to take the risk. it's the same as drink driving, i don't agree with it, but it's how it is and i'd rather keep my licence than be without it, i to rely on it for work.

not the same in my opinion. Sure you can't get blind drunk and drive the next morning. but you can have a few drinks and drive the next morning, unlike these saliva tests, where just a couple of tokes the night before will get you busted the morning after. absolute bullshit.

and it is by no means the same as alcohol testing, because when you are no longer drunk your blood alcohol is zero, but when you are no longer stoned, you still have traces of MJ in your system that will lose you your liscense even when you are totally straight.