Victorias mandatory rollout of the "smart" electricity meter

It'll take years to roll out. Consider: whose in a hurry to fork out $400 to get a read out of what their meter does each half hour?

There may be some tossers in a government office thinking its a good idea but the crap will drag down slow, governments change faster and the meter will get superseded, bypassed, destroyed, discredited before most houses get them - I'll bet on it lol

So Victoria is mandatory!???? Fuck....

That thing they put in about saving money is IMO the MOST stupid thing. As that article said it will cause more greenhouse gases in off peek times when they use brown coal. DUMB DUMB DUMB!

I feel sorry for those who grow indoors. Could always just destroy the meter, but might look a bit suss.

I agree this is definitely just a form of control, otherwise they would look at the study and say "okay it doesn't cut gas emissions, we'll move on"

At least I got a good 8 years before this "brilliant idea" comes to NSW :D

My father is a meter reader in rural NSW. On new premises or when meters are replaced etc. remote electronic electricity meters are installed.

I don't know about the capabilities of these meters but i do know that a meter reader is not physically required to read them.

ie: there's remote meters in rural NSW already...

lol

For all those that are wondering if there is a way around the new electronic meters think again, they will be 100% tamper proof. If for example someone tried to "jump the juice" The power company would note that a meter wasnt receiving any mains power then cross check that with power outages in that area and once they realized that there was no obvious outages they would have a tech guy on your door step!

For me they main issue I have is that I feel like my privacy and freedoms are being violated! I dont want them to know when and what power I chose to use and to add to insult they want to CONTROL my appliances in times of high demand WTF is that!?!?

They should spend that $5.5 billion on renewable energy which will actually reduce greenhouse emissions rather then telling us when and where we cant use or fucking appliances.

Its all about $$$$ and control bottom line…..greedy capitalist cunts!

The new world order is upon us.

I think it sounds worse that it really will be - annoying yes but not a serious problem. That someone draws an extra couple of amps at 7pm may mean that they've put the tv on to watch the news, but they might as well be watching cartoons on another channel, or the fridge and freezer just tripping together, or a few more lights on - its all just noise. Experts may make claims about how much useful information they can extrapolate from such data, but remember its 'experts' that tell us all sorts of stuff, they're just full of it.

For example: US spy satelites can read car number plates, then how come they cant find Bin Laden?

The trick is, like always, to stay under the radar, stay lost in the noise of ordinary everyday activity. If you are concerned about being observed by the government then this should be of greater concern to you:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/investig...81125-6hh7.html

private spies are being hired by Victorian police to infiltrate interests groups and the like and write up files on the members (just like this online group). This is where the danger to individual freedom lies, this is where innocent folk can get into trouble for having interests that the governemnt doesnt like. This is scary.

BTW I think the 3 investigative journalists on 'The Age' are heroes, there stuff is worth reading

I'm off for a smoke...