Upward leaf curl

Came home last night to find a couple of very unhappy looking girls.....

post-11530-1240918577_thumb.jpg

post-11530-1240918636_thumb.jpg

Both are 32 days old from seed. The first was replanted in perlite 20 days ago and has been on 0.8 EC nutrients for 15 days. Up until yesterday she was looking pretty healthy. I've done some reading on upward leaf curl and most seem to attribute it to excessive heat. I've since raised my light and moved them to a cooler corner. I'm also seeing that new growth is coming through as bright yellow.

post-11530-1240919031_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any thoughts? If it's heat, I guess I'll see a return to form in the next day or so. Anything else it could be that I'm missing?

Now, on to patient two.....She's been fed 0.4EC nutrients for 15 days and looks healthy and green but is showing considerable droop compared to her siblings.

post-11530-1240919162_thumb.jpg

I was thinking under-watering so I checked the soil with a hygrometer and it's on the dry side alright. Gave her a good water this evening so I'll see if that sorts her out. Strange thing is she's been getting precisely the same dose as the other plants and they're nice and perky. Again...anything else I'm missing? Am I on the right track with the under-watering?

Appreciate any and all help folks!

Cheers -Sol

Leaves starting to yellow, dying from bottom up in early flower could be root disease which is caused by many things like nutrient deficiencies, oxygen starvation and curling up could be your PH.

I think your EC should be 1.4- 1.8 (depending what nuts are you using) by now.

Thanks Che! The plants are still in veg and I'm feeding them Canna A&B.

I actually thought I may have been giving them too many nutes but I think you may be on the right track with the oxygen starvation or root disease. On closer inspection, some of the roots had made their way through the mesh at the bottom of the tub and were resting in some standing water in the drip tray. I've cleared out the drip tray and also re-planted her in more perlite which should give the roots the room to grow.

Any other thoughts guys?

Edited by SoliSticS

1) Leaves twist, then turn brown or die. >> The lights are too close to the plant. Rarely, a Calcium (Ca) or Boron deficiency.

If not… You may just have a weak plant.

2) Leaves are a uniform yellow or light green; leaves die & drop; growth is slow. Leaf margins are not curled-up noticeably. - Nitrogen(N) deficiency. If not, go to #3.

3) Margins of the leaves are turned up, and the tips may be twisted. Leaves are yellowing (and may turn brown), but the veins remain somewhat green. - Magnesium (Mg) deficiency.

Looks like heat stress to me though...

Jimbo :yinyang:

Edited by jimbojones5678

Thanks for the input Jimbo!

They're starting to look a bit better now that I've replanted them, moved them to a cooler area and upped their nutes to 1.4EC.

post-11530-1241256034_thumb.jpg

post-11530-1241256073_thumb.jpg

I'll keep a close eye on them over the next week. Hopefully the transplant into new perlite didn't upset them too much.