Whats wrong with....

I just saw a reference to one of those outdoor type spotlights (500w) apparantly someone was using them to grow with. The one with the long pencil sized/shaped bulb.

I know someone who does this, and seems pretty happy with the results. They only use the light for veg growing, and it is apparantly a metal halide light, a tungsten halide. The light costs about 30 or 40 bucks and seems like it is worth it for the results.

i don't know the details about electricity use, or their bill costs etc etc. This guys plants are in soil and seem to grow between 8 and 12 inches a week.

Anyway in the ref I mentioned the light was criticised as not to good. I was actually thinking of trying this myself, as an indoor to outdoor thing. i have no buds at the moment and am gonna do a couple of winteries outside. this might give them the head start they need for that bit of extra smoko, enough to last up till new years instead of the week before Chrisrmas as usually happens with me.

The light seems perfect for what I want to do, its cheap, seems to grow at a v good rate and I'll be budding them outdoors anyway, it'll only be going for 3 or 4 months. So what do you guys think is wrong with it.

It will generate some heat and chew up the watts, it will contribute a little to the grow but a couple of fluoro's would be better.

Tom

The heat shouldn't be a prob for this situation. Will the flouros really get rates that i mentioned earlier, up to maybe even an inch or two over one foot per week. I think the light is on 24 or 20 to 22 hours per day, I thought it was 24 but he mentioned something about dropping the hours in the week before they are put out.

Remember its a temp thing. If I was permanantly doing it or flowering them under light I'd use a 600 to 1000 W HPS. If the difference is going to be very significant I might just go straight to the 600w hps.

Cheers

I just saw a reference to one of those outdoor type spotlights (500w)  apparantly someone was using them to grow with.  The one with the long pencil sized/shaped bulb.

I know someone who does this, and seems pretty happy with the results.  They only use the light for veg growing, and it is apparantly a metal halide light, a tungsten halide.  The light costs about 30 or 40 bucks and seems like it is worth it for the results.

i don't know the details about electricity use, or their bill costs etc etc.  This guys plants are in soil and seem to grow between 8 and 12 inches a week.

Anyway in the ref I mentioned the light was criticised as not to good.  I was actually thinking of trying this myself, as an indoor to outdoor thing.  i have no buds at the moment and am gonna do a couple of winteries outside.  this might give them the head start they need for that bit of extra smoko, enough to last up till new years instead of the week before Chrisrmas as usually happens with me.

The light seems perfect for what I want to do, its cheap, seems to grow at a v good rate and I'll be budding them outdoors anyway, it'll only be going for 3 or 4 months.  So what do you guys think is wrong with it.

It will generate some heat and chew up the watts, it will contribute a little to the grow but a couple of fluoro's would be better.

Tom

The heat shouldn't be a prob for this situation. Will the flouros really get rates that i mentioned earlier, up to maybe even an inch or two over one foot per week. I think the light is on 24 or 20 to 22 hours per day, I thought it was 24 but he mentioned something about dropping the hours in the week before they are put out.

Remember its a temp thing. If I was permanantly doing it or flowering them under light I'd use a 600 to 1000 W HPS. If the difference is going to be very significant I might just go straight to the 600w hps.

Cheers

Many new growers seem to think that a halogen is good for growing with because they are cheap to buy, I will not try to talk you out of it as you seem determined to try one but keep in mind that as a grower on a low budget myself I still pay out for the correct lighting, if halogens worked well I would be using them myself.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

Guest weekprik

I need to make another setup,

I want a constant supply of weed, therfore one setup isnt enough,

what do you guys do??

I have my fishtank setup for clones and since i learned to vent it, they have rooted well, thanks guys,

I have a closet with a 400hps currently vegging my clones and I will turn them to flower in a month approx,

I want to have the closet for my flowering but im going to need a setup for vegging, do i need a HPS for vegging? what is best for vegging??

im very poor but will buy what I need,

if i use fluros how many watts do i need and what sorta bulbs for vegging??

i have 2 flood and drain setups but only 1 light, i need another light so i want whats best for vegging, my 400hps is a sontagro with 30% more blue light. I have an older straight 400hps Bulb,

also I probably will need a cabinet so where the best to buy one from??

Many new growers seem to think that a halogen is good for growing with because they are cheap to buy, I will not try to talk you out of it as you seem determined to try one but keep in mind that as a grower on a low budget myself I still pay out for the correct lighting, if halogens worked well I would be using them myself.

No worries. you are right about the cheap to buy thing.

seriously, I cannot see myself affording to spend more than about 50 bucks in the next month or two and I am planning on starting by, well by now.

Anyway I'll let you know how it goes.

How about starting off with some fluoro's then? This would get your plants started and allow you to defer the cost of the HID light for up to two months, you wouldn’t get as good a yield that way but it would still be worth it.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif