Marijuana use during pregnancy

Lovechild

Question

First of all i just wanted to say I'm new, so a big hello to everyone :peace:

And second of all, i was just wondering if anyone has seen or read the report done by Dr. Melanie Dreher, an American researcher who conducted one of the most in depth, invariable studies into cannabis use during pregnancy?

Here is a link to a video where she discusses the study and results if you have 30min to kill

)

As she explains, the study was carried out in Jamaica with 30 using, and 30 non-using mothers through out their pregnancy. All of the mothers where from similar social-economic backgrounds, and due to the culture and remoteness of Jamaica, there were very few variables involved, which is what makes this particular study so significant. All previous studies into cannabis use through pregnancy have been conducted mostly on American women from low social economic backgrounds, and were usually found to be also using alcohol, tobacco and other substances. Very few Jamaican women drink, smoke tobacco, or use other drugs, so the results were more accurate for just marijuana use. The babies where then examined three days after birth, and 1 month after birth.

The results were really quite contrary to what many government bodies and researchers from across the world have previously tried to force feed us about how harmful smoking cannabis supposedly is, especially during pregnancy (I have read some accusations that even blame leukaemia on pre-natal exposure to marijuana!).

From Dr. Dreher's study, she found no difference in the health and development of the babies of using mothers to non-using mothers, or marijuana use during pregnancy to have any evident, harmful effects. Rather, the Jamaican woman believed marijuana use is beneficial in easing morning sickness, nausea, depression, and increasing appetite (as we well know). The babies of the using mothers were also found to be more alert and active, better adjusted and settled, and had stronger appetites.

Finally, someone else from the far away bureaucratic world acknowledges marijuana as a useful and diverse medicinal herb, rather then an illicit drug!

After reading a few more interviews with Dr. Dreher, I soon began to learn about her experiences in Jamaica, and other local uses of marijuana including the making tea to soothe restless or teething babies, to increase baby's appetite, and to help children concentrate, learn and sleep better. The local women have formulated age appropriate strengths, and regularly administer marijuana tea to children.

Australia's 'cannabis culture' has obviously developed in a somewhat significantly different direction to Jamaica, where marijuana for medicinal purposes is not used in babies and children (as far as I know). However, those in the wider community might have a different perspective on the whole issue. Is there information to be found on safely administering the good herb to our children? Or is it something we shouldn't be touching on at all?

10 answers to this question

When Mrs Nooby was preggers with junior, she gave up everything, including alcohol and coffee, at one stage she had to have a shot from the doc to stop the spewing but other than that there was no way we going to risk junior by putting ANYTHING other than good nutrition into the system. Not casting judgement on anyone BTW but in MOST issues we always put the concerns of the child first.

High and welcome.

The Jamaican study was a very interesting read and really shows how useful and safe cannabis can be.

A little background information first: My wife suffers from PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). She has had problems with irregular and chronically painful periods for almost 20 years. She had been on strong, prescribed meds for almost 15 years. They began causing issues with her stomach. She also can't take hormones due to how her body reacts. Last year, we both began medicating with cannabis. I was hit by a car and injured badly. We have found it helpful for pain - chronic and acute pain and depression.

We have been both using MJ for a year. About 5 years ago, after a whole lot of tests and exploratory surgery, my wife was told not to expect to have kids without medical intervention (IVF etc which isn't really an option because she can't take hormones). The amazing thing is that my wife is now 9 weeks pregnant! We were shocked to find out because we weren't ever expecting to have kids - and we've been married for over 12 years. She noticed that during the past year, her periods were the most regular they had ever been - without any hormones or any other herbal preparations. After we found out she was pregnant, my wife read an article in Cannabis Culture written by a midwife who said that MJ can help with regulating women's hormones - there are even cannabinoid receptors in the uterus!!!

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/1375.html

My wife is having a lot of problems with nausea, cramping and insomnia - the doctor explained that this would be the first time her hormones are actually doing what they are supposed to be and the body is having a tough time adjusting. We believe that MJ is a much more effective and safer option than using pharma drugs. Her older sister was hospitalised due to dehydration and malnutrition. She was pumped full of different drugs and on a constant drip. This is where my wife was heading. MJ allows her to drink enough water and to keep food down. As with Ms Sunny, the MJ doesn't get rid of the nausea completely, but it lessens the pain from it, and most of the time, if she gets a toke in once she starts dry wretching, we can normally keep the vomiting at bay.

I think that everyone needs to decide what they feel is best for their situation. For my family, I know that MJ is the best option. I encourage my wife to medicate because I can see the immediate difference it makes. Her sister, who was previously anti-MJ has also seen the difference - and is now a convert. Stress, malnutrition and dehydration would have far worse effects on the baby than a natural plant. At the end of the day, my wife and I have decided to take 1000's of years of experience, particularly by women for periods and childbirth, over a few decades of academic opinions (which only help to give pharmaceutical companies more power).

:)

Edited by thedarkestone

... My wife suffers from PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).

... The amazing thing is that my wife is now 9 weeks pregnant!

We were shocked to find out because we weren't ever expecting to have kids - and we've been married for over 12 years. She noticed that during the past year, her periods were the most regular they had ever been - without any hormones or any other herbal preparations. After we found out she was pregnant, my wife read an article in Cannabis Culture written by a midwife who said that MJ can help with regulating women's hormones - there are even cannabinoid receptors in the uterus!!!

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/1375.html

Firstly Congrats! It's always heartwarming to hear that a loving couple have a baby on the way. I'm quite jealous.

Mainly, because I too suffer from PCOS among other problems.

Unfortunately I have never had a constant supply of 'medication' to see if it works for me or not, tho soon I will have if I can keep these liluns alive long enough! :bounce:

But as you might already know, no two cases of PCOS are the the same. It one of those sneaky disorders that you don't even know you have unless you go thru a battery of tests. And even those can be inconclusive at times! :)

One day when Mr and I have the money saved we will be attempting IVF. I am hesitant about actually using cannabis before, during (and if successful) after IVF. I know there have been many articles and much research on the benefits, I'm just a little unsure.

Anyway, congrats again and best wishes. :police:

:kingnerd:

Firstly Congrats! It's always heartwarming to hear that a loving couple have a baby on the way. I'm quite jealous.

Thanks for that Rose Gardener. I understand your concern about using cannabis. We too had concerns about using during pregnancy. We did a lot of reading on the internet and compared studies from both sides of the fence. We found that the pro-cannabis studies were more thorough and comprehensive compared to the anti-cannabis studies. A lot of anti-cannabis studies seem to work backwards to prove their position - that is, they have a conclusion then work towards proving it. They often have very small sample sizes (eg less than 10 or 20 people) and don't account for variables (unlike the Dreher study). There was a recent study that someone put up on the forum where the sample size was less than 10 which was then used to make a broad statement about the links between mental illness and cannabis and wider social trends regarding cannabis use. This is not only poor academic practice, but pure lies. The majority of the public is not aware of how statistics work and how easily they can be manipulated. It always pays to read the methodologies of scientific studies.

If you do end up with a constant supply of MJ, we'd recommend on not planing on having sex to 'make a baby' as such. Relax and enjoy a few tokes with Mr and let the female spirit of the cannabis plant take you on a beautiful journey. When we found out that we were expecting, we joked about 'our threesome' (Mr, Mrs and Mary Jane). The main thing is that you have to feel comfortable with your own decision(s) based on your own experiences and research.

I hope things work out for you too in the near future. :kingnerd:

Nooby - if you do a search on 'hormones and cannabis' (or 'pregnancy and cannabis') you can find info on the subject. We didn't bookmark or commit to memory all the web pages we looked at. Sorry, you might have to sort through some crap to find the gold. Some good sites are Cannabis Culture and Treating Yourself (both pro-cannabis publications, but present quite balanced info).

Thanks again.

I just wanted to let you know that there have been previous discussions about this on Oz Stoners - do a search on 'pregnancy'. There is a discussion with almost the exact title as this one, 'Consuming marijuana during pregnancy' dated 2007. I found Radic's entries amazing to read - have a look and you'll see why (they start at the bottom of page 2).