Hemp Bar closure

I wondered if the Nimbin bashing would start again

Firstly the Hemp Bar and Musuem are being shut because the Police SUSPECT drug dealing is taking place , or may take place in the future - PLEASE READ THE CROWN NOTICE FFS :P

This same law was used to close brothels in Sydney before visiting American warships docked during the war its fucking bullshit !

The Hemp Bar has never sold pills , powders - a big no no

The Hemp bar was NOT a commercial operation selling pot - it survived on a small income from coffee and souvenier sales , sure you may have been able to meet ppl who knew where to score there like most cafes in Nimbin

You can go to any cafe in Nimbin , light up and ask ppl to get you pot - Hemp Bar was no different

The Hemp Bar / Hemp Embassy were NOT involved in formulating any anti hydro laws EVER and I defy anyone to lay down some factual proof - otherwise put up and stop lying

The personal opnions of the Hemp Bar about hydro is just that - their personal opinion and they have a right to say what they want on their own website

The members of the Hemp Bar / Hemp Embassy are and have been the only ppl to actually get off their butts and do live protests in Sydney - Canberra and yearly in Nimbin co inciding with the worldwide Million Man March

I think they have done a lot more for the cause than sit on their butts and whinging nothing has happened - actions will always speak louder than words

Long live the Hemp Bar !

"I'm happy to leave if the museum can survive," he said. "I've had a lot of criticism for not stopping it (the dealing in the museum). A lot of people have said I'm too soft because I don't like seeing young boys locked up in jail.
QUOTE Micheal Balderstone,Northern Star 28/8/08

Some of us only have news reports to follow such events and form such opinions that we hold.

It should also be noted that the personal opinions of OzStoner members about the Nimbum Hemp embassy-bar/museum is just that - their personal opinion and they have a right to say what they want on their own website

cuts both ways

:P

QUOTE Micheal Balderstone,Northern Star 28/8/08

Some of us only have news reports to follow such events and form such opinions that we hold.

:P

A lot of people haven't been to Nimbin so it's probably a bit hard to understand what's happening there.

Michael and the guys have put together a short video on the museum ....

Enjoy ;)

Nimbin Museum website: http://www.nimbinmuseum.com/

Firstly the Hemp Bar and Musuem are being shut because the Police SUSPECT drug dealing is taking place , or may take place in the future - PLEASE READ THE CROWN NOTICE FFS :P

This same law was used to close brothels in Sydney before visiting American warships docked during the war its fucking bullshit !

The Hemp Bar has never sold pills , powders - a big no no

The Hemp bar was NOT a commercial operation selling pot - it survived on a small income from coffee and souvenier sales , sure you may have been able to meet ppl who knew where to score there like most cafes in Nimbin

You can go to any cafe in Nimbin , light up and ask ppl to get you pot - Hemp Bar was no different

Long live the Hemp Bar !

UPDATE ON MUSEUM SITUATION

Dealing occurs all over Nimbin (and Australia) and yet the police continue to target the two business premises, Hemp Bar and the Museum, who have both been lawfully and actively lobbying for cannabis law reform. The very reason we have been calling for a trial of licensed cannabis cafes is to deal with this impossible and longstanding situation. We have an implied constitutional right to political association and freedom of speech. The oppressive and unconscionable use of this legislation by the police in this matter is a burden on our rights I believe. Michael Baulderstone - letter to Judge .. Lismore Court

Sent: Tuesday, 2 September 2008 4:45 PM

To: 'webhead@hempembassy.net'

Subject: NIMBIN MUSEUM MEDIA RELEASE

UPDATE ON MUSEUM SITUATION by Michael Balderstone

MEDIA RELEASE NIMBIN MUSEUM Tuesday 2 September

I had an appointment today with Lismore police, Area Commander Bluey Lyons, Crime Manager Stephen Clark, and the applicant, Detective Sargent Michael Smith who is threatening the Museum’s landlord with the Restricted Premises Act 1943.

It was agreed that we had common ground in that we all wanted “a Nimbin where mums and dads can walk with their kiddies without seeing any drug dealing” (Bluey’s words). The mutual understanding finished there though, because we had entirely different approaches to achieving that.

I think we need regulated cannabis cafes or a cannabis market place, and an attitude that drug use is a health issue. The police believe in the war on drugs despite making no impact, or even going backwards, with street cameras live to their police station in Nimbin and nine permanent officers in the tiny village.

As we have warned from Nimbin for over a decade, the increased policing of easy to bust cannabis has helped create a new illegal pharmaceutical drug industry with an unending supply of almost invisible, odourless pills with no quality control. At least with organic outdoor grown cannabis which Nimbin is famous for you know what you’re getting.

I also talked to the landlord of the Museum today. I expect an eviction letter soon giving me one month’s notice. The police appear to have made this conditional if the landlord wants to avoid court and potential costs. They are also asking that the new tenants of the Museum building install surveillance cameras covering every room and the extensive back yard. Police want access to this footage at any time, perhaps if it was all live on the net they would be satisfied.

It makes little sense even when you realize this discussion with the Crown Prosecutor, is happening in Sydney where the Museum landlord lives. He has never been to Nimbin.

If the community is keen enough for the Museum to stay alive, we may find a willing taker but it is very disappointing we had no say in any discussions, because after all we do by far the majority of the police work in the village which resembles a refugee camp from the war on drugs. In fact the feeling in town is that closing the Museum will do little to stop any drug dealing but have a major impact on tourism.

And anyway, if they can’t keep drug dealing out of jails, which are surely on CCTV, how can we be expected to?

Further info Michael at the Museum 6689 1123

http://www.nimbinhempbar.com/hempbarclosure08.jpg

The guys promised me they will go out blazing on webcam - and it may re emerge as a new identity , but as of Friday the Hemp Bar will never be the same ;)

Could this really be the end ? ;)

I heard 4.20 will be outside Nimbin police station today .... lol

The police have amnesty for their drug use so why not the rest of the community. :P

lol

Why did the landlord purchase the property in the first place? under what authority can the police force CCTV to be installed? is there serious violence issues within the museum?

Fuck that! why let some wannabedogooda flat foot cop walk around telling his mates "yeah I shut the Hemp museum, I am so cool"!?!?

nah it's not cool flat foot it's WRONG!

Every night somewhere in Australia a mother cries for a missing child! now mr police man can you explain to this mother why your more concerned with the hemp bar and museum instead of doing YOUR FUCKING JOB!!!

where is the evidence that the community support the closures?

To the New South Wales Council of Civil Liberties

To whom it may concern

I bring your attention to the misuse of police powers within the community of Nimbin and request that the Council take steps to protect the rights and freedoms of the people of Nimbin.

I request as a civilian and in no other capicity that the NSWCCL take urgent action to protect the rights of the community and the individuals of Nimbin. I further request the NSWCCL assist in all it's capicity Micheal Balderstone who may be facing evection from the Hemp Museum on grounds that directly affect his civil liberties.

your response to this matter is eagerly awaited

paste and copy or send your own, office@nswccl.org.au perhaps if their inbox gets clogged they might act? for fucksake look how much they spent on Haneef!!!! and that was in Qld.

Edited by entheofarm

It would help a lot if you provided a bit more information. How exactly have

the police been abusing their powers in and around Nimbin? Who is

threatening to evict Michael and why? What type of lease does he have? Is

the Hemp Museum itself facing closure?

Regards

Leonard Kanaar

Executive Secretary

NSW Council for Civil Liberties

Okay people don't drop the ball on this one!!!!!

grace can you email all the details to them please

just reading through the emails and the fact Leonard said "around Nimbin" raises the eyebrow, I never mentioned anything other than in Nimbin, read in to that as I think it may be significant.

Edited by entheofarm

Sorry brick50 but I just don't agree. Living in the closet is a choice, yes, but you can choose to come out. I've openly talked about my cannabis use to my family, friends, co-workers, employers, the public... for many years now. Nothing but good has come of it.

Just how do we convince them from inside the closet? The only way the public will realise that we are not dropout deadbeats is if we are open about our use of cannabis and demonstrate that we are good, otherwise law abiding members of society. We need to break these stereotypes by example. Your scenario is a catch 22, and this is exactly what the prohibitionists want - we are stygmatised, ridiculed, ignored, rejected... and we have no voice politically or legislatively.

They rarely are from what I'm told - they spend 99% of their time outside of the town dealing with callouts, Nimbin isn't a policing priority. I don't know if they're making a regular appearance at the pub's closing time yet, but that's about the only time they're needed apparently. The locals say that once the Police have been there a while they realise that the majority of the town's residents, and cannabis users in particular, are not a problem and they loosen up significantly. The misconceptions are coming from the Media and their non-local superiors - exactly the problem above of perception and stereotypes.

I used to think that we could do this politically - I no longer do, not in this climate. What I believe we need to change is popular opinion and widespread experience of cannabis and cannabis users. That's a generational change and it's well underway, but we need to push harder if we want to see change in our lifetime and leave a positive legacy for our children and our community.

Blah blah, I'm ranting again pipeman ;)

Niall I agree with you 100%. Contrary to my previous post. The people of my age group (baby boomers. I hate that term.)mates who I used to surf, party and smoke with were forced to hide, we have married, got a mortgage, had children and some like me started a small business. To keep it all together and still enjoy a smoke there was no choice. We drifted apart and smoke mostly alone. Would I march for legalization of our herb. Yes I would. Would I sign a petition probably not. The reason is I have bills to pay etc. I could not take the chance, there would be no repercussions. I also have a son in uni which I promised my wife before she died I would look after him until he leaves home. (God I hope it's soon. Love him to bits). I maybe should have elaborated on my first post with what I am writing now. I will smoke at party's but thats about all I will risk.

Will I talk about it to others no. I was only trying to tell how the people from my generation, my mates as I cannot speak for one's I do not know have to deal with (or give up)this ridiculous prohibition.

I hope Nimbin residents can open another Hemp Bar and Museum. Or if not keep 420 a live. The only way I can see an easing of the law is through science and medicine. That is the area that will open the publics eyes. A few ballsy politicians like the Democrat lady in SA is what we need as well. lol

ps I did not think you were ranting either Niall, very good points you made. ;) :P

I have never been to Nimbin , but have heard a lot about it . Isnt it full of Heroin junkies now ? Maybe thats why the cops have had enough and are starting at the bottom and working up :P Cant really blame them if thats the case .

For Nimbin to have had all this freedom up till now , there must be a reason for them to be getting sick of it , so they are starting at the main thing first ? Just a suggestion ;)

why assume there is any reason or logic at all to the police actions?

If the cops were interested in minimising the number of junkies living on the streets selling pot to tourists they would allow places like the hemp bar to sell it under controlled conditions. Their actions will only serve to increase the amount of street dealing that goes on around there.

this makes about as much sense as all the other drug law enforcement the cops carry on with ie not very fucking much at all. :P

as for the crackdown in the hemp museum I for one think its a good idea. Its a real shame to not be able to walk through that place without being hassled by young smartarses trying to push shitty deals onto you.