the greens might finally have some power

THE Rudd Government is prepared to do deals with the Greens and independents to ensure its Budget measures pass through parliament.

The Government's Senate leader Chris Evans said if the Opposition attempts to block parts of the Budget in the Senate he will turn to the minor parties for support.

"If they (the opposition) decide to be spoilers then we will seek to negotiate with the minor parties to make sure these essential budget bills are carried," Senator Evans told ABC Radio.

Without Coalition backing for its laws, the Government will need to turn to seven balance of power senators - the Australian Greens, independent Nick Xenophon and Family First's Steve Fielding - to get its legislative program through the Senate.

The Opposition has pledged to block the Government bill to increase the tax on ready-to-drink alcoholic beverages, changes to the Medicare levy surcharge threshold and commonwealth seniors health card.

It is still considering its position on a luxury car tax.

this is amazing news for us stoners considering we number in the millions and the greens are the only major party to actually support cannabis law reform in our favour. if we mass email them saying if they want our votes in the future the only thing we currently care about is cannabis law reform in our favour we might be able to get one of the greens to stand up and use it as leverage over the rudd government :thumbdown:

in a previous story which i cant be bothered to find at the moment, the greens said if the rudd government wants to take tens of billions of dollars out of the economy its going to have to be replaced somewhere along the line to protect the economy. so bothers and sisters, shall we email all the greens mentioning how much money would be generated if we made cannabis legal and taxed it like they have with alcohol and tobacco? i think this is the best chance we have had in years to get things going our way and we'd be fools to pass up such a good oppertunity so lets get those emails sent and hope for the best :bongon:

Dear Sir,

I am writing to you to express my concern regarding the current legal status of cannabis. As you are no doubt aware criminalisation of this particular plant causes grossly excessive harm to any individual prosecuted for the possession, distribution or cultivation of cannabis, and wastes valuable police resources.

I believe I speak for millions of Australians when I say that this issue needs your most urgent attention, and that it will be a powerful tool by which to attract voters who agree that the current laws are unacceptable.

Yours Sincerely

Concerned Citizen

Good idea wdc is this what you had in mind? I don't write very many formal documents, so I wont be offended if anybody wants to edit my letter to improve it, then repost it.

I see so much common sense regarding cannabis laws in well written posts on this website, however I believe we are preaching to the converted. If every well written statement on this site had been a letter to the editor of our local newspapers' we would achieve a lot more.

Well you've all got an example of what to write now, in a letter that does not incriminate the writer, so get emailing and you can be proud to say that you are contributing to cannabis law reform.

Edited by Token Jet

I sent mine to "greens@greens.org.au", there may be some out there who believe that the greens being on the left side of government are more likely to take our freedoms away, but I feel they are the best of the mangy tick covered limping puppies in the pet shop.

It will probably have more clout if you put your name down the bottom instead of just concerned citizen, but that's up to you.

i sent an email to that same addy but gave links back to that story, examples of where cannabis use isnt a crime and how use has actually gone down in those areas, how in amsterdam they make billions in taxes from the sale of pot and that doesnt even include the tourism money and even though i can respect them not wanting to turn australia into a drug tourist destination, its not like we have herion injection rooms in sydney that tourists dont know about or anything like that :bongon:

the email i sent was worded a bit better than that and i wish i saved it now, but ohh well :thumbdown:

The thing is, a lot of stoners aren't enrolled to vote, or simply don't bother. :bongon:

Just suss out the HEMP party site and how things panned out there. Something like 3 people out of 37 were actually enrolled, when they had a crack at it. Stoners are full of promises, but when it comes to action, they back door it.

For what it's worth. I'm enrolled and voted Greens last time because of their policies. I can't see e-mails or letters doing anything, as the Greens are already onto it. Simply get off ya bums 'n enroll 'n speak with your vote. if not, the two major parties will never get the message..

:thumbdown:

Copy of the email I just sent to the Greens if I get a positive response I may enroll.

To, Bob Brown

Christine Milne

Rachel Siewert

Sarah Hanson-Young

Scott Ludlam

Hello, I am interested in finding more about your parties and maybe your own views on cannabis and the legalization/decriminalization of cannabis.

It is time that the people of Australia are reeducated and we stop the same on "Refer Madness" of the the 1930's.

Think of the revenue threat could be produced from taxing og cannabis, this money could go to the war on drugs to

fight the real drug problem is facing "ice" high purity methylamphetamine and herion.

Cannabis may cause health problems both physical and mental, but more so do alcohol an nicotine and to a lesser effect caffeine,

all legal all causing health problems and death in our community.

There are a lot of people in Australia that smoke cannabis, I feel these people would be behind you and your party if the decriminalization

of cannabis was a major Greens policy.

I thank you for your time and wait your response in earnest.

I removed my name at the end to post here of course