Heath Ledger reportedly used various illict drugs

Ledger used heroin and cocaine: report

Friday Feb 1 10:05 AEDT

Michelle Williams booted Heath Ledger out of their Brooklyn home because he became a regular user of heroin and cocaine the past year, according to a report in a US newspaper.

The story in Thursday's edition of the New York Post quotes an unnamed "member of Ledger's entourage" who first met him in 2002 and "did drugs with him".

The report alleges Williams and Ledger, who met on the set of Brokeback Mountain, fell in love, became engaged and had a daughter, Matilda, fought because Ledger was partying and doing drugs.

"She couldn't take it any more," the Ledger insider told the New York Post.

"Heath wouldn't show up for two to three days, and all of a sudden he would show up on her doorstep, an absolute wreck.

"He was partying, doing drugs.

"She didn't like the company he was keeping.

"She gave him an ultimatum ... and threatened to get custody of the girl.

"He wanted to make it work, but it was this scene he was wrapped up in.

"Was he an addict? Yeah."

The source told the New York Post when Ledger began using heroin it "got really bad".

"Once you go down that road, then it gets really scary," the source said.

"Because all of sudden you shoot up, you take heroin, then you do a line of cocaine and then you take sleeping pills.

"Look at River Phoenix, he died exactly the same way."

The report is the latest alleging Ledger had a serious drug problem leading up to the discovery of his body in his Manhattan apartment last week.

On Wednesday controversy flared in the US when two of the world's most-watched celebrity TV news shows, Entertainment Tonight and The Insider, heavily promoted a video tape they were planning to air of Ledger talking about drugs.

However, the shows, both aired on US TV network CBS, unexpectedly announced they would not broadcast the tape.

The video appears to have been recorded without Ledger's knowledge when he attended a post Screen Actors Guild Awards party at Los Angeles' Chateau Marmont hotel two years ago.

"I'm gonna get so much (expletive) from my girlfriend," Ledger says on the poor quality footage.

"We have a baby together, Matilda."

Ledger is also heard saying: "I used to smoke five joints a day for 20 years".

In a backflip, Entertainment Tonight and The Insider announced together they would not air the tape "out of respect for Heath Ledger's family".

Shows like Entertainment Tonight and The Insider rely heavily on access to celebrities and Hollywood publicists act as the gatekeepers to interviews with A-List actors.

Mara Buxbaum, publicist for Ledger and Williams, has expressed her disgust at the reports about Ledger's death and yesterday asked the media to "let this family grieve privately".

AAP

Ninemsn News Article Link

Hollywood likes to take em young!

After reading that, I just had to double check his age... ESPECIALLY after this...

Ledger is also heard saying: "I used to smoke five joints a day for 20 years".

Um. Hello!

He was 28 when he died, this 'footage' was shot 2 years prior, which means he was smoking 5 joints a day when he was 6 years old?!

Come on!

Sorry. I just had to get that out.

He was not a bad actor and it's a pity his daughter is going to grow up without her father. That is who I am most sad for.

Cheers.

:) ~M.

Even without airing the tape they have besmirched his name and reputation as a great Aussie actor.

There was no reason to publicize that info except to boost their ratings and make money from a dead man.

It just disgusts me how pap bastards try so hard to destroy celebs and cash in on it. Leave the dead bastard alone, and let his family grieve.

and on that note - I'm no fan of Brittany Spears, but IMHO she could really go a large dose of privacy to let her get her shit together. I just couldn't cope with cameras in my face 24/7...I'd be in jail so fast my head would spin!

Jimbo :peace:

Yeah, and the 'pap' have followed his family Down Under where they are TRYING to hold a private burial for their loved one . . . makes me ill . . . okay, they get their fame and fortune by being in the public eye but SURELY the 'media' should draw the line somewhere . . . aggrieves me no end, and as for Britney, one seriously screwed up 'little girl' . . . I am sick sore and tired hearing about her problems but I do feel sorry for her . . . her life is NOT and NEVER was her own and she has her FAMILY to thank for that, her parents, shoving her into the spotlight at an early age and CASHING in on her 'abilities' [and putting her through needless surgery at a delicate age etc etc and so forth] . . . there's something VERY wrong with this world when it comes to 'fame and fortune' . . . :D

May Heath be allowed to rest in peace and who gives a rats if he 'dabbled' in drugs, kinda goes with the territory these days, surely? A sad loss though, too young for sure . . . and as for besmirching his rep., well I think us Aussies will ignore all the bollocks that's come out about him and remember him for his finer 'works', and yes, you've gotta really feel for his little girl, no one should have to grow up without a Dad or Mum for that matter if it is in any way avoidable but obviously it was his 'time' ;)

Heat on Heath's Aussie doctors

February 09, 2008 01:00am

Article from: Herald Sun

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

HEATH Ledger's Australian doctors would be investigated if any of the prescription drugs that led to his death were prescribed here, the US Drug Enforcement Administration said.

The DEA has subpoenaed Ledger's autopsy results from the New York Medical Examiner's Office and will try to find out why he had five different powerful prescription drugs. New York police, assisting the DEA, said some of the drugs were prescribed in Europe.

Ledger spent two weeks with his family in Perth weeks before his January 22 death in Manhattan from an accidental overdose, which has been blamed on the mix of powerful drugs in his system.

Washington DC-based DEA spokesman Michael Sanders said if evidence led to Australia, DEA officers would follow it up. "We have 86 offices in 62 countries," Mr Sanders said.

"It could be in Australia, England, Rome or wherever."

The DEA's Australian office is in Canberra. The DEA enforces drug laws in the US and is interested in why Ledger had been prescribed two powerful pain-killers and three anti-anxiety drugs. A sixth drug, doxylamine, commonly in over-the-counter cough medicines, was in Ledger's blood.

Drug experts say no "reasonable doctor" would prescribe such a combination of drugs.

"The DEA tries to look into any suspicious death involving overdose of pharmaceutical medications," Mr Sanders said.

Investigations would determine if Ledger "did what we call doctor shopping ... (going) from one doctor to the other and not tell doctors they had prescriptions for other pills".

The DEA has raided doctors' offices before, including celebrity Anna Nicole Smith, who died a year ago from an overdose of prescription drugs.

Prescription drugs in Ledger's body were oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam and alprazolam.

When he will be buried remains a mystery. His family is to hold a private funeral in Perth in the next few days.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23183812-2,00.html

YEah mate the DEA, "one around the corner from you".

You know the crap I've got myself tangled in with prescription drugs, in the course of this mess I've come to understand we have the DEA in the country wanting access to our secutiy measures, and the INCB (international Narcotics Board), which is supposed to be a geneva based UN group of 6 people that rae involved in wztching security measures of narcotics at the level of mass productin such as Indian opium feilds, Afghanistan, Tasmnaia etc..

In reality the board of6 were last I saw, all yanks, and maybe the address is in Geneva, but I understand they work out of an office on Wall St.

Both the DEA and INCB are concerned the world's legal supplies of opiates can only be accounted for to around 50% each year, and so obviously, control freaks being hat they are, want all the countries they can put pressure on (and put an office in) to help pressure those involved in reporting accuratly and refraining from using these medications.

of course, that means ina world full of corruption and crime, which these two offices were invented to combat, those who really feel the pinch are those who legally aquire their meds, and need them for health reasons. Of course those who channel theminto crime are dealt with by local authorities only as jurisdictional reaasons would deny the DEA and anyone similar from actually going after these. So these powerful crime fightin biodies are in this country puttin the weights on people who use the shit for cancer etc..what a bunch of heros.

Hey, heath Ledger used drugs, is this supposed to be a surpise? he's a normal young man with plenty of dough, he'd be in an exclusicve minority if he wasn't. What did Jim Morrison say "live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse", Heath was nothing new, Jimmy Morrison did it, and even Elvis.

Nothing new here..

rob