Aussie could face death penalty in Bali

A FORMER Australian airline executive could face the death penalty if he is convicted of drug trafficking in Bali.

Barry Wilfred Hess, 50, faced Denpasar District Court today for the first time since his arrest two months ago on the Indonesian resort island.

Prosecutors upgraded their charges against the former Ansett manager to include trafficking, which carries the death penalty.

He has been charged under the same article used in the Bali Nine heroin smuggling case.

Six of the nine Australians involved are now on death row.

Mr Hess, formerly of Melbourne, was arrested in August near his Kuta home after police allegedly discovered 14.4 grams of hashish and 2.7g marijuana.

"The primary charge is that the defendant ... on August 19 tried to offer for selling, distributing, handing over, or to become a broker in a drug deal," the indictment read to the court said.

"The drugs squad searched his body, his things, his house and the officers found in a table drawer in his room a plastic cube of two hashish packets."

Officers also found a clear plastic box containing the marijuana, the indictment said.

"The goods were about to be distributed by the defendant but he didn't do it because he was caught first."

A urine sample provided by Mr Hess tested positive for the drugs, the indictment said.

Mr Hess has also been charged with drug possession, which carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail.

He also faces a charge of drug use, with a maximum penalty of four years' jail plus a fine; and a fourth charge of being a drug user who failed to report to police, which carries a maximum six-month term.

If Mr Hess is convicted, judges will have to decide which of the four charges to apply.

Mr Hess declined to comment as he left the court today to return to Bali's Kerobokan Prison, where he is being held along with members of the Bali Nine, and convicted marijuana trafficker Schapelle Corby.

Source: www.news.com.au

I feel so bad for that guy, he gets busted with a little over a half ounce and under 3g of hash and they are considering killing him lol why cant the indonesian's simply deport all the foriegners on the basis they'll be prosecuted when they get home? it would make them look a hell of alot better to the rest of the world and it will still send a strong message that drugs wont be tolerated :P

Doesn't it say 1/2 oz of hash and a $50 bag of weed? lol

That's unjustifiable, a complete waste of a human life. Excellent suggestion Wantda, I'm sure they would all put their hands up fast for jail at home!

and a fourth charge of being a drug user who failed to report to police, which carries a maximum six-month term.

and what the f*ck is this? How the hell do they reward the honor system? A faster execution? Less rats in bed with you...?

You'd have to be out of your tree or strung the f*ck out to use drugs in Bali :P

Jimbo :P

Simple, Indoneasia is 90% muslim, 90% of ruling muslims hate Aussies so naturally they like to kill us, one less infidel ... any excuse will do

These death penalties are partially a result of hoWARd's fucked policy that Indonesia should execute the Bali bombers but not the Aussies on drug charges, in short Aust. is against the death penalty for Aussies but not for terrorists ... what sort of a fucked idiot policy is that ?? lol

:P

hey all

This is just fuckin crazy to be honest we all know what happens to you if you take drugs into these countries so why is there still buggers that try

i mean really it aint that hard to take a few weeks off weed for the sake of your life lol and taking weed anywhere in the world is a bloody risky business and ya wouldnt catch me trying it :P and if a was gonna do it ya shore as hell wouldnt catch me taking it into countries like bali or thailand :P

cheerz

Stoney did you actually read the article? He's an expat, that is someone who works an resides in a country other than their own so he's not transporting weed or any other drugs across borders but simply just partaking in his drug of choice. They call peeps like that your talking about traffickers an the penalties for them are extremely harsh esp in asian cities which are transport hubs, zero tolerance even if your in transit an have no desire to offload your drugs there. Number one reason i wont fly via singapore, indonesia an to a lesser extent thailand, the fuckers will bust ya in transit. This guy was just a home toker though an prolly flipping a bit to his mates.

frazz i wholeheartedly agree.

peace

c

my guess is they didnt like him for some reason i know enough people that have just paid the cops in indo and other countries that it is almost ridiculous, most of the time the cops just want money from you, by the sounds of this they had reason to turn up at his house, my guess is that there is more to this story than in the article.

for a quick example of indo cops, a mate was over a few weeks ago, no licence driving around, a cop pulls them over, say oh no licence, lucky im a nice man, $200000 (about $200 aud) they say not sure i have that much, the cops says 100000 then, one of the says i have 20000 the other says i have 25000, the cops asks will that leave you with anything, they say no so he says 40000 and done, they pay he goes away. if you dont pay your screwed, i know a couple people this has happened to in indo with a small amount of pot, and others that it has happened to in india, south america, cambodia, the cops in these countries are all the same $$$$$.