30x microscope

Here is what I use to look at the bud on the plant.

http://www.carsonoptical.com/Pocket_Microscopes/Pocket_Microscopes/MM-100

Pros:   Very portable,

Easy to use,

Has magnification and focus adjust.

Cons: Cannot take photos,

Can chew thru batteries (AAA) for the light. Mine is fairly old now and the newer ones use an LED light which use less battery power

This is connected to my computer and once the bud is removed from the plant, I use this

http://www.digitech-i.com/products/20mp-usb-digital-microscope-200x-magnification.html

Pros: Easy to take photos,

Has magnification and focus adjust. Some digital scopes have a fixed Mag and focus 

Has good LED lighting at focal point

Cons: Not portable,

Needs to be connected to a computer to obtain image.

Stability can also be a hassle

I wouldn't say one is better than the other as they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I use the portable one more as it is great for viewing the trichs on the plant. Where the Digitech is great for taking magnified photos. Electronic stores stock the digital and 'Gadget stores' stock the Carson. Carson also make an electronic scope, shaped like an egg, but has a fixed magnification.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

I have a jeweller's loupe that I got on eBay ages ago, but I can't see detail such as trichomes through it very well. Might need more magnification. Also the image is a bit globby and hard to get focused well. 

Jaycar sells a Digitech one that seems like it might be OK. I've found that the quality of products from eBay can be highly variable to say the least! For something precision like this, I'm inclined to avoid the place. Mind you, I've bought some utter crap from Jaycar too, but at least it's easier to return. 

Thanks for the input, guys. 

Edited by SpaceMonkey23

I bought a 45x magnifyer from DX 2 years ago, 2 bucks delivered... still works. And I got one with 60x mag from Oz at MG13, it still works too ($4.20 I think).

For viewing on the plant they are both good, but I find the 60x mag better these days than the 45x with my eyes. For stuff removed from the plant I have slide making kit and traditional manual microscope or if I want pics I have something similar to Merl1n's digitech.

• Upvote 1