Alan jones calls for drug rethink...

I think someone mentioned this before on the forums, perhaps in the Cousins thread, but I thought I'd post it here for individual discussion, cos I think it definitely warrants it...

Video of Alan Jones from 2GB - click here to play, approx 40mb....

I'm just dumbstruck. He takes the pussies way out and says "John Howard is right, drugs are evil" at one point, and never claims the arguments as one he holds, but it's a start... all we need is a few more right wingers to come out with some sensible discussion on drug law reform and you can get a ball rolling.

What do you think?

same.. that has completely just blown me away... ive never liked AJ.. but ive always thought he was a very smart man..

funny really.. cuz ive been saying this very same thing ever since one of my best friends died from an OverDose... if drugs were regulated.. not so much as legal.. but more like a prescription.. of course OD'ing would still be possible... but highly unlikely.. the quality of the drug would be much higher.. also.. youll be getting what you are prescribed for.. these days Xtc isnt really Xtc at all.. theres very little MDMA in any of them .. its all meth, Katamine or PMA.. PMA is the real killer..

heres what ill propose..

saturday night ya making plans to hit the town.. theres a rave on.. you want to be prepared.. you just need a few pills for the night out.. and possibly for when you get home as well.. so Thursday you go visit the doctor and tell him what you plan on doing.. he gives you a referral to the pharmacist.. who gives you a referral to an anethicist the anithicist weighs you and checks your metabolism.. much the same way he does when you go in for an operation.. sends the info back to the pharmacist... where he then has a consultation with you to see what exactly you want.. you tell him.. i want 5 pills of Xtc.. i want 3 of those pills to be energetic for when im out and about, pills that make you want to dance, the other 2 pills i want to be a little bit more relaxing.. for when we go home.. he takes all your info.. tells you to come back Friday.. or Saturday.. when you pick them up.. the pills are labeled so you cant make any mistake.. you go out enjoying yourself with out the fear of wondering what the fuck it is youve bought.. or is the stuff i bought the real deal.. you have a great time.. minimizing the risk of an overdose because the pills are specifically designed for you.. and YOU only.. very simular to a prescription drug.. you have instructions.. take one pill every 3 hours..

just a thought..

That was interesting to hear, good lookin out Luke.

AJ speaks some rational thoughts while sitting on the fence.

Like Al, I gotta wonder if AJ missed out on some vested interest recently...

However he does say this - "So should illegality of drugs be removed, to bring them under greater control, by society? If something is no longer illegal, it can be regulated by government. A legal, regulated alcohol industry means, the alcohol content of booze, is regulated; and stated on the label. And make no mistake it's a drug." ;)

So there's bottle shops and pubs dealing alcohol, kids who use it illegally, legal alcohol addicts, fatal overdoses, domestic violence, road accidents etc, all coming from a regulated industry, with the label nicely stating the content.

Nice and legally taxed and protected as an industry by the government.

Then to look at cannabis, even with the black market and its potential for marfioso..

You have to look really really hard, with a vast imagination, to find EVIL in cannabis alone.

And for growers, expect the likely way prohibition repeal of cannabis, to effect profit for industry, is for them to monopolize the plant, and further restrict who, where, how much is grown. Having little to do with the nice label on the mull packet saying the thc content.

e.g. Legal cannabis might be grown in aussie, then exported for cheap labour to pack it. Imported back here in packs, prerolled or in pouches. Nice thc label, no mould, huge government exise, plus profit for the seller - just like tobacco is today. Complete with no personal growers as it is more punishable now to possess homegrown tobacco. lol

same.. that has completely just blown me away... ive never liked AJ.. but ive always thought he was a very smart man..

funny really.. cuz ive been saying this very same thing ever since one of my best friends died from an OverDose... if drugs were regulated.. not so much as legal.. but more like a prescription.. of course OD'ing would still be possible... but highly unlikely.. the quality of the drug would be much higher.. also.. youll be getting what you are prescribed for.. these days Xtc isnt really Xtc at all.. theres very little MDMA in any of them .. its all meth, Katamine or PMA.. PMA is the real killer..

heres what ill propose..

saturday night ya making plans to hit the town.. theres a rave on.. you want to be prepared.. you just need a few pills for the night out.. and possibly for when you get home as well.. so Thursday you go visit the doctor and tell him what you plan on doing.. he gives you a referral to the pharmacist.. who gives you a referral to an anethicist the anithicist weighs you and checks your metabolism.. much the same way he does when you go in for an operation.. sends the info back to the pharmacist... where he then has a consultation with you to see what exactly you want.. you tell him.. i want 5 pills of Xtc.. i want 3 of those pills to be energetic for when im out and about, pills that make you want to dance, the other 2 pills i want to be a little bit more relaxing.. for when we go home.. he takes all your info.. tells you to come back Friday.. or Saturday.. when you pick them up.. the pills are labeled so you cant make any mistake.. you go out enjoying yourself with out the fear of wondering what the fuck it is youve bought.. or is the stuff i bought the real deal.. you have a great time.. minimizing the risk of an overdose because the pills are specifically designed for you.. and YOU only.. very simular to a prescription drug.. you have instructions.. take one pill every 3 hours..

just a thought..

Sounds ideal but the overall cost would be astronomical....as far as I know anesthesiologists don't bulk bill, and the doc's and chemist would tack on some absurd amount - plus all that running around. Plus would the doc really let you get as many pills as you wanted? They usually don't give you 5 packs of valium when you ask for them...????

In an ideal world... lol

Jimbo ;)

Nah, more likely the regulatory model will be closer to alcohol than tobacco. We're not talking about drugs which have little psychotropic effects like tobacco, (although it wasn't always that way), these are more intoxicant/narcotic like substances.

I would envision similar regulations on the sale, production, standards and distribution of alcohol for most presently illegal drugs, with provision for some if not all of the taxes (minimal really when you think about the present cost hike due to the black market) to go to treatment services for the small, small minority that have problems with substance abuse.

Voodoo Pharmacology (drugs are evil and inherently mind-controlling) is fundamentally flawed in assumption and reality, and it will take people like AJ to question it. He doesn't in this instance, but perhaps it's a step at least.

I never thought I'd ever, ever say this, but bravo Alan Jones.