Witness stoned at hearing

THE VICTIM of a violent burglary in Ballarat East admitted to being "stoned and drunk" at a committal hearing yesterday.

Giving evidence against an alleged attacker, Geoffery McGinness told Ballarat Magistrates Court he was a "dole bludger" who consumed alcohol and marijuana daily.

"I'm stoned and drunk right now," he said.

"I had a stubby over lunch, I have cannabis every day."

The 21-year-old swore repeatedly during the hearing, drawing several warnings from Magistrate Luisa Bazzani.

Ms Bazzani eventually left the bench in frustration, telling Crown prosecutor Andrew Grant to "speak to" his witness.

The defendant in the case, Shane John Warren, was allegedly involved in a "run through" at Mr McGinness' home in the early hours of January 3.

Mr McGinness told the hearing about six "clowns" smashed his windows before breaking through the front and back doors.

"It was all on from there", he said.

Mr McGinness said Warren threatened him with a baseball bat before he escaped, jumping through a 1.8m window.

Mr McGinness landed near a friend who had "passed-out" in a garden bed following an earlier fight between the two. The court heard the friend was injured badly by falling shards of glass.

Mr McGuinness, who had consumed about 175ml of whisky, 10 stubbies and two grams of cannabis while "chilling" with mates on the day, denied his ability to accurately identify Warren was affected.

"It doesn't mean nothing to me. I've been drinking and smoking since 15, I know what I bloody saw," he said.

But Warren's defence counsel, Neill Hutton, told the court there was no DNA evidence linking his client to the scene of the incident.

Warren, 34, of Mt Pleasant, was committed to stand trial for seven offences including aggravated burglary with an offensive weapon, intentionally causing injury and criminal damage.

He reserved his plea and was bailed to appear at the County Court in Ballarat for case conference on August 6.

Author: Ballarat Courier

Date: 15 June 2007

Source: Ballarat Courier

Copyright: © 2007. Rural Press Limited

Giving evidence against an alleged attacker, Geoffery McGinness told Ballarat Magistrates Court he was a "dole bludger" who consumed alcohol and marijuana daily.

"I'm stoned and drunk right now," he said.

"I had a stubby over lunch, I have cannabis every day."

One can only hope that he doesn't get a chance to breed. :peace:

:doh:

what a wanker. why would you? sorry words can not describe what i think of this idiot.....

Why would you what? lag on some house invader or act like an idiot in front of the judge.Personly I think jails where made for low lifes who think they can invade anthor persons house.

As a matter afact I've got a list of the worst thing you can do to anthor humanbean its murder, rape, house invasion :peace:

sorry did not make my self clear why would you describe yourself that way and why would you admit to smoking pot and drinking alcohol unless you are the biggest wanker in the world......i would be the first to have the invaders ass into jail, after i had dealt my justice first, eye for an eye. jails are for the sick and depraved assholes of society that think they can abuse anothers right to privacey and security. sorry for not making myself clear but "i was lost for words" at the time i wrote my previous post.

his admissions do nothing for the legalize it way of life. but truth in the matter is that the alcohol is to blame for all in this circumstance.

serriously you dont go into court and say you are intoxicated that has to be one of the stupidest things i have ever heard anyone say also you dont go to court intoxicated cause the defence lawyer can make a move to have any statement made by you stricken from the record for the doubt caused by the imparement of the person making the statement. he should either have not had the guy charged and sat at home and acted like a bogan all day or he should have pulled his head out of his arse gone to court and done what is right in a clear unintoxicated way.