germination problems

Hey all. i got some seeds from P.S. recently. sensi skunk and skunk 1. i have been growing bush weed since the big bang, and not realy had any germination problems. [my own strains]. mostly indica.

i soak them in a glass of water untill they split, then they go in to small pots untill their 9 inches high. no problems at all. strike rate, about 95%. but these paid for seeds are'nt cutting it in the potting mix. there cracking ok, so they are viable. i suspect they are suffering from pre emergence damping off.

my question is, is it possible that they are very succeptable to soil born diseases because they a grown in a sterile situation at their source. and accordingly have no immunity to soil critters. i only got about 30% strike rate from em. :peace:

the logical remedy would be to germ them in an inert medium. ie, cotten wool. i have never had the need to do this before, but they are'nt free. and i aint wealthy. some advice on cotton wool growing would be good. such as, should they be in direct sun or not and will they rot if kept in, to wet a situation. :peace:

any help on this would be appreciated, and certainly needed. thanks.......B.B. :peace:

when you ordered these seeds did yopu choose an outdoor variety?.. if so it could be just a climitization thing...

my friend bought a few seeds a couple of years ago.. he had trouble with them too.. they would sprout ok.. but wouldnt develop any root system... sounds like the same thing your getting... he got them from marc emery seeds. just at the time he got busted.. we worked it out as the feds intecepting the seeds and fucking them up somehow.. Marc Emery had this warning posted on his site... about how feds were intercepting all his seed orders...

really it almost sounds like they arent aclimitized to our hemisphere... this would meen youd have to get a male and female and cross them together to aclimitize them to our inviroment...

but realy im not too sure...

Gday bb :ack:

I use the cotten wool way when im germin my outdoor bush seed...allways works for me 95% of the time..

All i do is get as many seeds you want...Saok them in water for a while..then grab a plate..get some cotten wool...lay it out on plate..wet the cotten wool...put the seeds on top of the first layer of damp wool..than place another layer on top of the seeds...and wet the top layer of cotten again... :peace:

post-10315-1164696211_thumb.jpgpost-10315-1164696250_thumb.jpgpost-10315-1164696525_thumb.jpg[at

tachment=18766:attachment]

And then make sure they are damp all the time..dont let them dry out :peace:

Keep them in a warm place..And make sure you dont put them in full sun shine...realy they dont need any light at all to germ...But just keep them warm and damp..in acouple of days they should pop their little tap root out..

Good luck mate.. :peace:

Cheers

Dallas

post-10315-1164696570_thumb.jpg

thanks all for replies. sukonmiskunk, thanks for mentioning the feds. i needed that.[kiddin]

dallas. thanks for info on cotton wool routine. i thought the seeds were ok cos they cracked quickly. they were in bubble packs like tablets. they looked the goods. but who knows. :D

does anyone know about my reference to pre emergence damping off due to the seeds being grown in sterile conditions. and thereby having no immunity to common fungal things such as damping off. :yahoo: onyas all :)

:yahoo: I understand what your getting at,... would a simple way to prove this be to soak your seeds in a h2o2 solution before sowing into a sterile medium? That way any fungal spores would be taken out of the equation?

The heat affected seeds I tried had sat too long(over a month) in a shed while I moved house,... 5 out of 10 cracked, none sprouted

hey buffo. thanks for reply. i don't know what h2o2 is. presumably its a sterilising agent. if so, don't know if it will solve cos the fungal issues will be in the potting mix not the seeds. i have had post emergence damping off a couple of times. probably because of overhead watering. but never had seeds doin it. bit of a nuisance is what it is. again thanks mate. i'm off to them thar hills for a couple of days, to talk to my girls.

cheers.........B.B. :yahoo:

Have fun in the bush mate

I used to love that, sitting with the plants in the scrub

BUT!

back to the pre emergence damp off!

Yes h2o2 is a good sterilising agent and can be got from most hydro shops, I use HY SAN it is around 12% h2o2 for sterilising my medium, truncheons etc and use it every time I change res solutions to keep the res and medium sterile during the grow and keep the roots healthy (Maybe sterile is the wrong term as the blurb on the bottle sais it limits the spread of pythium etc)

If you were to soak your seeds in a mild mix before sowing to kill off any fungal spores on the seed husk as well as what pipeman said and cook some soil to sterilise it, then that to me would be as close to optimum as needed to show if the seeds are duds or not,