Completely new to growing.

Hey All!

I am new to these forums, have been lurking for a few days. Myself and a friend are looking to start growing as soon as school is over this year (Year 12) and we get our own place. We would only be growing one or two plants. The problem is we have no idea what to do. I have read quite a few grow diaries and such here, but all I see is 'nutes', 'ppm' and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't understand. We probably won't be able to grow outdoors, so does that leave us with indoor and hydroponic? Or are they the same thing?

Another problem we are having is the strain we will use. I am thinking it would be wise to just try and learn a bit first and grow something using seeds we have collected from pot we have smoked over the year. But when we get to the stage of an actual grow, what should we use? We are looking for a predominantly Indica strain, as we want the mental high, not so much a body high. We are looking for a decent yield, although it will only need to be enough to last the two of us, and any friends we have over (ie. only personal use, no selling or anything). What could you recommend?

Anyways, yeah. I am doubting anybody wants to explain the process from the beginning to the end, so if you could point me to something that would I would be extremely grateful. Or you could explain the whole thing :peace:

Thanks in advance

Gday wonderboy welcome to ozstoners.

It can be as easy as getting a light planting your seeds in some good pottng mix and putting them under the light and just watering them and from time to time give them a feed of blood and bone or something like that in side a 2nd hand wardrobe u can pick up pretty cheap from 2nd hand placers like salvos, it can be that easy or you can go all the way with a full soil-less setup with all the fancy stuff...

I have read quite a few grow diaries and such here, but all I see is 'nutes', 'ppm' and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't understand

Growing plants is only as complex as you make it. :peace: Remember you can just plant a seed in the ground and water it every day and you'll get a plant, so don't lose your head trying to perfect all aspects of your grow, you learn as you go

so does that leave us with indoor and hydroponic? Or are they the same thing?

Hydroponics is basically just growing without soil, you can do it indoors or out. Most indoor crops are hydroponic, usually grown in clay pebbles or things like perlite or vermiculite

We are looking for a predominantly Indica strain, as we want the mental high, not so much a body high.

Youve got that back to front - indica generally produces the couchlock/body high, sativa produces the more uplifting energetic mental high. Then there are the hybrids throughout the spectrum :peace:

Cheers

Edited by NotDave

Oh. If thats the case, what nice Sativa strains could you possibly recommend? Also, how strong is the smell of a plant or two? If it is done indoor, will it stink up the whole house? If it is in a nice wardrobe like suggested before, can the smell be contained? Sorry about the abundance of questions, just trying to cover all my bases. Thanks for all of your help!

Would you think it a wise move to jump straight into a proper grow?

Yes, because if you succeed to grow to harvest as most first-timers manage to do then you'll have a great result rather than a good one. I wouldn't use the most expensive seeds you've got though, save them for your second grow when you're confident you can grow them from start to finish

Also, do I just chuck the seeds into the potting mix?

You can, that's how it generally happens in nature :peace:

Id recommend soaking the seed in a cup of water for a couple hours first before planting it. You may also want to use the paper towel method so you can see that it sprouts before planting.

Take the time to read through this Wikipedia page, as Wiki is good at covering the basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)_cultivation

If thats the case, what nice Sativa strains could you possibly recommend?

Cinderella 99 is my favourite sativa, Wallyduck sells F5's of it at seedboutique.com

It's fast finishing (flowers in approx 60 days), decent yield, very nice and potent high, and the smell and taste is 110% pineapple, delicious stuff

Also, how strong is the smell of a plant or two?

depends on the strain. There are low-odour strains out there, Northern Lights for example although that's a pure indica

To help deal with odours leave the window open in the room you have your wardrobe, use a carbon filter if you can, or artificial scents like incense / room deodorisers. I use those ones that you just plug into the wall so it keeps your house smelling nice automatically

Edited by NotDave

yep as Ozmade said...

All i got is a 400Watt HPS Son-t-agro in a cupboard, the light which i picked up for around $70 at cashies and picked up new globe for around $60 at hydro store... with plants in Premuim Grade Potting Mix feed THC GROW nutes.....but all you realy need is a any Nutes that you find in your local nersury mate (thrive ect)

If growing indoors i would stay away from Blood and Bone....:peace:...it realy stinks bad

Cheers

Dallas

For my 1st indoors grow all i used was bag seed in soil under a 400w hps and did ok, the thing that can be a draw back with bag seed if you wont know what strain it is and it could be a hermie as well but just to get the feel for growing indoors bag seed will be more than fine.

And with the seeds you can just get ya self some good potting mix a few smaller pots throw one in each pot and wait and see but there many ways of starting off seeds...

Welcome Wonderboy , this site is a great source of info , you have come to the right place :peace:

I first started with a seed , bag of dirt and a 400 watt HPS in an inbuilt wardrobe . Then I moved onto perlite in the pot and then flood and drain . you will learn on the way . Just grow and learn mate :peace:

At the moment I am growing in potting mix again as I have no access to a hyrdo shop . The main thing I have learnt with growing in potting mix/dirt , is to not over fertilize .

To describe my process ,, I am growing in a premium Potting mix with Fert already added . I fertilize once a fortnight with Thrive while in vegetive . Then when I have turned the babies in to 12/12 , I use Manutec Bloom Buster and do the same . So far they are looking fine :peace: You can see them here https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...showtopic=13793

Good Luck , I hope I have helped a little

Edited by Closet Grower