termite problems in the bush

I work as an agronomist.

I was very surprised to see dipel get such glowing reviews as a termite solution, i have personally never herd of it and i over see the use of hundreds of kg's a season. Dipel has alot of limitations. Dipel has to be ingested to work and is promoted as being very species specific targeting only the larva of the moth (lepidoptera) family. I bet the whole-sellers would love to target this new market if it realyl works - i have doubts.

As for some of the other chemicals mentioned getting access to them is easy just walk into a rural store - elders, landmark or a CRT and pretend to be a farmer you will not be asked for ID (unless u are after a schedual >6 poison like spray seed).

Pyrethrum would kill termites but the problem is pyrethrums are degraded in sunlight very quickly (hours) and this is both a benefit and a downfall. Its awesome if you want to clean up a crop just before market and therefore need zero residue. However if you want lasting protection you have to go systemics like confidor which are taken into the plant and provide protection for up to 21 days.

Ill be looking into this topic a little further myself

Termites are everywhere in the bush, you cant get away from the little fuckers.

I came across someone elses grow a couple of years ago, they were growing in the ground. Around the plants there was a reddish coloured powder, I think it was something they were using for termites. Anyway their crop made it to havest without any termite problems. I admit to taking a little sample of their buds to try :-)

as a bush grower and in a termite infested area..(now this is my solution it works for me and has done for years)

after preparing the bush plot,(fencing,digging and fert and water)

i then dig a four inch deep trench about 2 feet out side the fence and fill the trench with diesel and old engine oil mix let this soak in and you are done.

as the termite only travels it the top inch and a half of soil when on the hunt for moisture they hit the area where the soil is soaked in oil and do an about turn and look else where .

the little buggers don't like the oil and wont burrow through it .

i do it every year.

and it don't hurt the plant as the roots shouldn't go any where near it

to beat termites i do 2 things here in se NSW(per 8 plants in pots) 1.bury white or raw sugar in or around your plot soil it attracts black ants which white ants hate.the black ants will keep them away and leave your plants alone 2.i drag in 2 pallette crates(1.5x1.5m)put them under 2 x 3m sheets of corrugated iron with the plants on top.if you make sure the iron over hangs 1-200mm all the way around they have a real tuff time getting to the pots and are easy to monitor.also serves as a roof to catch water with a gutter and bath tub added!!!!

Hi all..oldbushboy aka bushbuggered here .. Havent been on here for a cuppla years, had to re-register..Anyway, this threads still going with many and varied techniques. Bad state of affairs if we've come down to sump oil and diesel...Have to start prepping things soon for the season..seems to me if the little bastards are in your area, you got impending issues. Unless of course, if you don't mind using toxins from hell.....Good luck to yousall....cheers b.b.

Confidor as a systemic should be good if they're already in the crop.

Termidor seems to be the best stuff hands down for a barrier treatment / trench or for direct application to a nest. Unlike sump oil or what have you, it won't just turn the scouts back, it will cause them to infect their whole colony and nuke the nest at a distance.

It's only available to licensed pesties here in oz, but I've never had problems ordering it online from the states and it sailing through customs.