hi stoners

im thinking of buying a new light ive got a 250 watt hps. and im gonna get a 400 watter

do any of u no which is better a high pressure sodium light or a metal halide light

and do i have to buy a new generator thingy u no u plug ure light in and the wire goes into a box and the wire for th bulb comes out the other end

srry i dont no the name but any way do i have to buy a new 1

cheers people :peace:

Edited by stonerweed

billobillopuffalot ....can we get the switchable ballasts here in oz??

by "switchable balast" I take it you mean "retro-fit balast" . . . . . Yes you can purchase them here in Oz.

billo ... does any1 have any info on it??

Not much except you can get them in 600w balasts

Why is this lighting question in this form ? :peace:

ok.. the thing is with lighting.. it sort of works on the electricity use... look at a dimmer switch in your lounge room... the dimmer restricts the amount of electricity getting through to the globe determining how bright it will be... same thing applies.. in the ballast you have a 'stepup' transformer.. for those of you that arent electricians.. ill explain... a transformer is is like a copper reel... as the electricity enters the transformer builds up the amount of electricty needed to ignite the choke ingniter and lighting up the globe..now you have a capicitor and the choke igniter these work like a regulator so too much electricity doesnt go through..and blowing the globe... Now.. take a 400 watt globe and place it in a 250watt ballast.. now that ballast isnt going to build up enough power to light the 400 globe to max capacity... if it lights at all.. it will be restricted by the transformer and the igniter restricting the amount of electricty need to light the globe... it will most probably only run at 250 watt capacity... makes sense??

now what light should you get??? well look at it this way.. Metal Halides are better for vegetive growth.. and High Pressure Sodiums are better for flowering growth... now the best way to grow pot is when you switch to flower you should keep the MH in and just add the HPS.. for optimum results...Both globes will grow and flower MJ well.. this is the BEST way to do it... how ever this isnt usually an option for many styles of growing... so think about this... you may spend about 4 weeks max using a light on the grow cycle and about 8 weeks.. or more for flowering.. considering you flower for twice as long as veg it would make the HPS globe a better option... of course if you can afford both get both...

hey there stoner

yes it could help you increase your yeild as the light will refect alot better thus there being better light absortion for you plant and i would definatly recomend getting a 400w light if ya only gonna get 1 then get a hps and not a mh as the hps is ok for veg and great for flower and the mh is great for veg but aint that good for flower

cheerz :Dj: