Timers and Light Management Units

2 x 400w lamps should only draw something like 4.6 amps when both running, and they'd pull a maximum 6 amps together if they were started at the same time.

i forget the equation but startup current is a lot higher than that....thats why globes blow when you first turn them on

i once tested a regular bulb that was attached to a dimmer, switched it on to test it and turned up the dimmer slowly...the bulb starting filling with smoke, turned black and went out....it was cool to watch

dude I don't think you are getting the heavy duty HPM timer for $25. That is their regular timer the heavy duty ones cost about $40. Get that one. Also the HPM have an on/off switch which operates separately from the timing function make sure you're not accidenlty hitting that at some stage. Mind you the last time I bought timers was over a year ago so the prices could have changed... lol

forgot to mention the digital HPM timer has a line under the time and u can see "on" "auto" "off" printed on the plastic u need this set so if ur light is on when setting the timer make sure the black line goes from "on" than switches to the "auto" position so the light will stay on untill the desired off time either way set the time u want the timer on/off and make sure the black line is in the auto position and u cant go wrong the light might not come on or it might stay on untill it works the times out u have programed with in 24 hours the light will fire up to ur programed times.... Edited by Gazza2001au

i forget the equation but startup current is a lot higher than that....thats why globes blow when you first turn them on

If you're globes are blowing up when you turn them on then something is seriously wrong. But if you're saying they're more likely to fail at start up than when generally running then yeah, you're right. They power up at a higher amperage (3 or so for a 400w magnetic ballast) and then reduce down to about 2.2 or so. That's a reactor control ballast mind you. If you've got a 1000w unit which is constant wattage, you start at lower amps and then move up slowly to running current. These units typically cost a little more, but are certainly worth it in the 1000w range. There are no constant wattage 400w or 600w units that I'm aware of.

I think you're thinking of ohms power law? voltage x amperage = watts.

Most modern ballasts have their amperage ratings on them, which is where I've gotten those figures from above. The lamps themselves are pulling more though, which is generated through the ballast. The actual power draw at the socket is lower though. Like I said, about 6 amps at startup for 2 x 400w lamps.

Dimmers are certainly not designed for HID lamps. Only digital ballasts are capable, (and only some at that) of doing this. But hell yeah that woulda been cool to watch.

btw, you can't reverse that equation using 400w as the start, as a 400w lamp with a magnetic ballast doesn't use 400w but about 530w or so. This is ballast losses. Electronic ballasts are more efficient, and are usually far easier on the electrical system.