MP SAYS ECSTASY ISN'T DANGEROUS

Author:CRAIG BILDSTIEN KARA PHILLIPS

Date: 13 May '06

Source:Advertiser - Adelaide http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/commo...255E910,00.html

Copyright: Advertiser Newspapers Pty Limited

STATE MP Sandra Kanck says ecstasy - which has been linked to more than 110 deaths in three years - "is not a dangerous drug".

The Democrats leader told Parliament that after 20 years, there was still no ``evidence that it is a dangerous substance''.

She suggested the drug could have been given to victims of last year's fatal Eyre Peninsula bushfires to help them cope with their trauma.

Bushfire recovery effort chairman Vince Monterola said he was astounded by the comment, labelling it ``an absurd proposition''.

The Federal Government spent $23 million last year warning of the dangers following revelations by the Australian Crime Commission that per capita, Australians are the biggest users in the world.

Substance Abuse Minister Gail Gago said 112 ecstasy-related deaths nationally between 2001 and 2004 was ``ample evidence'' the drug was harmful. ``Health experts, psychiatric experts and the community do not want a pro-drug policy,'' she said.

Ms Kanck the last remaining Democrat in the the SA Parliament announced on Wednesday that she intended to retire from politics at the 2010 election and was therefore ``not scared of a public backlash'' by taking a stand against mainstream opinion.

However, the party's state president, Richard Pascoe, yesterday called on her to stand aside within 12 months, saying he supported defeated MP Kate Reynolds taking her spot in the Legislative Council.

In a wide-ranging speech on drugs, Ms Kanck said she was ``quite disturbed'' by what she called ``an emerging trend of conservatism in politics''.

She claimed ``progressive politics'' was the loser from the March poll, which saw the election of anti-drugs campaigner Ann Bressington, Family First's Dennis Hood and Green Mark Parnell.

``I remind members who might think that all drugs are evil that Jesus partook of wine. He did not have any silly laws that said `this drug is legal, and this one isn't legal','' she said.

``We have been told that ecstasy is a dangerous substance. We do not have the evidence.

``The original 1985 listing of ecstasy, or MDMA, is still being contested. So more than 20 years later, the matter has not yet been resolved.

``In fact, I was saying to people last year after the bushfires on Eyre Peninsula, with all the trauma that was associated with it, that one of the best things you could probably have done for the people on EP who had gone through that trauma was to give them MDMA.

``However, one dare not advocate that, because we are all being tough on drugs, aren't we?''

``Good God,'' is how Eyre Peninsula farmer and SA Farmers Federation executive member Paul Kaden reacted to Ms Kanck's suggestions about dispensing the drug to traumatised bushfire victims. `

`That's one of the strangest comments I've ever heard and totally irresponsible,'' he said.

His comments were echoed by new Family First MP Mr Hood, who described the statement as ``beyond belief''.

Mr Hood said that Ms Kanck had clearly ``lost touch''. ``It is very disappointing.''

Despite all the constant crap I hear about it being cut with "all sorts of dangerous additive" and "you don't know what's in them", as long as buying from a reliable source I've found the general street quality of ecstasy to be excellent. I think I've had dud ones once out of hundreds of pills. Once.

It's the dickheads who don't follow guidelines or know anything about the drug - who then go and drink themselves stupid or drink 10L of water or whatever who have problems. Australia's responsible ecstasy users (there are thousands) should be relatively safe for many years to come.

MDMA was first designed way back in 1912 by a german chemist... it was initially used as a marraige guidance councilling drug... in more recent years it has been used as an anti depressant...

MDMA in its pure form is completely harmless if used responsibly.. meaning I guess its possible to OD on but you would have to be extremely stupid...

ALL or MOST of the deaths they are talking about was from a drug called PMA.. this is a drug thats been getting around for about 40 years or more.... its a derivitive of MDMA its made the same way with the same ingredience.. just been cooked at a too higher temperature for too long... changing the structure to PMA... it attacks the muscle and nervous system to a point where the muscles over heat and melt down.. not really great considering your lungs and heart are the most important muscles of our system.

I have had the misfortune to know some one who has died from this drug and its not real pretty... this is the result of back yard bikie chemists who wouldnt have any fucking clue what so ever about anything, let alone making MDMA...

Its also a result in supply and demand.. everytime a shipment of QUALITY E's gets busted at customs that leads the way for poor quality Bikie PMA to hit the streets in stead of QUALITY MDMA. As if any BIKIE would be caring if the drugs killed ravers...

to this day its still a very important part of a chem 1 course at uni... meaning students still learn to make this drug.. properly.. probably for the simple fact that it is still used as an anti depresant.

what needs to happen is main stream chemists need to be making this drug and supplying to the raver community through some sort of prescription program.. this would ensure the safety of the users with each dose measured...but I couldnt see that EVER happening